An important element of any strategic plan is defining what mission fulfillment looks like and how to measure it. Through the development of appropriate performance rubrics (indicators) and acceptable thresholds, UAS has created the infrastructure needed to gauge its overall performance in achieving its strategic plan objectives. Indicators for each objective are given according to core theme below. You can also reference the 2010-2017 UAS Strategic & Assessment Plan Outline for a full summary of the specific indicators UAS uses to measure its performance.
Regional Market Penetration - Percentage of recent high school graduates registering for UAS classes, by region of origin.
Financial Assistance - Proportion of degree‐seeking students who applied for financial aid, enrolled, and were awarded financial aid.
Student Diversity - Correspondence of UAS students’ gender, race and ethnicity to the Alaskan population.
High Demand Career Pathways - The percentage of endorsement‐, certificate‐, and degree-seeking students enrolled in programs preparing them for recognized high demand occupations.
Students in Entry Level College Courses - Percentage of degree‐seeking students who successfully complete entry baccalaureate level Math and English courses within their first two academic years.
Advising and Degree Completion Plan - Percentage of degree seeking undergraduates who have developed an advisor‐approved degree completion plan in their first year.
Graduation Efficiency - Ratio of the number of credits completed at UAS to the number required for an undergraduate degree program.
Degree Attainment Rate - Ratio of the number of completers per 100‐degree‐seeking undergraduates.
Retention and Persistence Rate - Percentage of undergraduate degree seeking students who enroll consecutively from one academic year to the next.
Full Enrollment - Percentage of degree‐seeking undergraduate students taking at least 30 credits per academic year.
Employment - Percentage of all graduates successful in obtaining employment in Alaska.
Objective: Breadth of Programs and Services
- Program Assessments and Reviews - Number of programs with assessment plans in place, and frequency of review of assessment outcomes.
- Service Assessments - Number of services with assessment plans in place, and frequency of review of assessment outcomes.
Objective: Academic Excellence
- Successful Course Completion - Percentage of all degree‐seeking students who successfully complete courses.
- Honors Program Participation - Percentage of eligible students formally participating in the UAS Honors program.
- Undergraduate Research and Creative Expression - Ratio of undergraduate degree‐seeking students formally participating in UAS research and creative expression experiences to undergraduate degree‐seeking full‐time equivalent.
Objective: Quality of Faculty and Staff
- Comprehensive Faculty and Staff Evaluation - Student ratings of all faculty, adjunct self-evaluation, faculty and staff evaluation, tenure track peer review.
- Diversity of Faculty and Staff - Correspondence of the gender, race and ethnicity of UAS faculty and staff to the Alaskan population.
- Faculty Professional Development - Ratio of faculty participating in formal faculty professional development activities to faculty full‐time equivalent.
- Faculty Tenure - Percentage of faculty members who are tenured or are in tenure‐track positions.
- Employee Turnover - Rate of turnover in positions having new incumbents.
Objective: Effectiveness and Efficiency
- Completers-to-Faculty Ratio - Ration of the number of degree completers to the number of faculty.
- Fee Structure Review - Frequency of comprehensive review of fee structure.
- Review of Six-Year Course Sequence - Number and frequency of comprehensive review of UAS Course Sequence.
Objective: Expand Community EngagementIndicators:
- Community Engagement - Number of UAS-sponsored public forums and lecture series that engage the communities in Southeast Alaska.
- Community Partnerships - Number of formal partnership agreements with Southeast Alaska and statewide entities.
- Non‐credit Instructional Activity - Extent of non‐credit vocational technical educational training and continuing education.
- Alumni Engagement - UAS Alumni membership.
- Contributions to UAS - Extent of annual external contributions to UAS.
- Student Exchanges - Percentage of full-time students formally enrolled in national and international study programs.
Objective: Research EngagementIndicators:
- Funding Proposals - Number of proposals submitted by tripartite faculty.
- Formal Research / Creative Expression - Number of faculty and student peer-reviewed publications or juried creative exhibitions.
Objective: Learning ImpactIndicators:
- Informal Research / Creative Expression - Number of UAS faculty and student research / creative expression presentations and posters.
- Guest Lecturers and Visiting Scholars - guest lecturers and visiting scholars engaged in UAS classes.
- Structured Experiential Learning - Number of students participating in structured learning experiences.