Education Graduate certificates provide candidates with eligibility endorsements to an Alaska teaching certificate. All course work must be completed within a seven-year period immediately preceding the date the graduate certificate is granted. Graduate certificates are granted by the University of Alaska Southeast; UAS provides the institutional recommendation to the student to submit to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development for endorsement.
Special Education Graduate Certificate
The Graduate Certificate program in Special Education prepares teachers to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. The program focuses on the unique needs of: (a) children and youth with disabilities; (b) Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and (c) Alaska’s remote and rural communities.
Candidates who complete the Graduate Certificate program in Special Education can receive an endorsement in Special Education (Grades K-12) from the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development.
The Graduate Certificate in Special Education program is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school-based professionals. Courses are offered in the afternoons and evenings and in the summer. All courses are delivered via teleconference and augmented with online resources. This distance-delivered format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their communities while completing their graduate studies.
Program Assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted on the Program Assessment website.
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable application fee
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching or admission to SOE teaching program
- Two Letters of Recommendation on SOE form
- Official transcript(s) indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Writing sample (1-2 page typed, double spaced for each topic). (1) Describe your professional goals and explain why you want to be a special education teacher and/or work with individuals with disabilities. (2) Describe your commitment to diversity in school and classroom settings.
- Passing Praxis Core exam results. Praxis scores must be sent to UAS and the Department of Education & Early Development
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||24|
|EDSE||S482||Inclusive Classrooms for All Children||3|
|EDSE||S605||Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|EDSE||S610||Assessment of Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE||S612||Curriculum & Strategies: Low Incidence||3|
|EDSE||S622||Curriculum & Strategies: High Incidence||3|
|EDSE||S677||Language and Literacy: Assessment and Intervention||3|
|EDSE||S685||Transition Considerations for Secondary Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE||S694||Special Education Practicum||3|
|EDSE||S695||Professional and Ethical Practice||3|
- GPA of 3.00
- Satisfactory completion of all courses
- An approved Special Education Portfolio