Effective January 2012, UAS is no longer accepting applications to any of our Early Childhood Education programs.
Master of Education in
Early Childhood Education; PreK–3rd Grade
To provide high quality, culturally responsive, educational opportunities based on a framework of theoretical research, current early childhood pedagogy, and alignment to state and national early childhood professional guidelines.
Statement of Goals
- Prepare teachers to facilitate children's development toward intellectual and moral autonomy.
- Develop teachers to view their role as a sophisticated one, requiring personal pedagogical (educational and instructive) reflection leading to analysis of current classroom beliefs and practices.
- Develop and empower early childhood professionals to lead the nation in providing high quality, culturally competent, developmentally appropriate programs for young children.
Program Delivery & Information
The Master of Education in Early Childhood Education program designed with an emphasis on classroom application.
Our programs are mainly distance–delivered. Students are encouraged to be self-directed learners, have access to high speed Internet, and be able to complete weekly field experience assignments. The program consists of two 2-week, on-campus summer institutes where students interact with distinguished professors, create peer relationships, and establish a network of early childhood professional contacts. Our distance-delivered courses, coupled with our summer institutes create a learning environment that is real, relevant, and meaningful to our students.
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Early Childhood Education (ECE) is a 34 credit program (semester system) and can be completed in 2 to 7 years. It may be possible to transfer up to 9 approved graduate level credits into the program.
M.Ed. ECE Philosophy & Alaska Standards
- Philosophy and program overview (PDF | 68k)
- Standards for Alaska's teachers:
http://www.eed.state.ak.us/standards/pdf/teacher.pdf (PDF | 832k)
Coordinator Early Childhood Education
School of Education: Mailstop HA1
University of Alaska Southeast
11120 Glacier Highway
Juneau, Alaska 99801
866-465-6424 (toll free)