Please note: This program is only available to individuals residing within the state of Alaska.
The Mathematics Elementary Education Graduate Certificate program at the University of Alaska Southeast provides the opportunity for teachers to become leaders in the field of Mathematics Education through distance education.
This program is designed for K-8 teachers who are seeking to strengthen their understanding of the mathematics they are teaching and preparing for their students to learn. This is a non-degree program that leads to a recommendation for a Mathematics (K-8) endorsement added to an Alaska Teaching Certificate.
Please refer to the academic catalog for a complete list of course requirements.
Graduate Certificate Program - Mathematics Education
By completing the UAS Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Education, you qualify for the UAS Institutional Recommendation to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development's Endorsement in Mathematics Education. You may apply for this program at any point in your coursework, but you must apply with UAS before applying to EED for your endorsement.
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials or the application process. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
- A completed UAS graduate application and $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation on SOE recommendation forms.
- A Statement of Professional Objectives per these instructions.
- A copy of current teaching or administrative certificate.
Send all these items to:
|Attn: Deema Ferguson|
|11066 Auke Lake Way|
Juneau, AK 99801
If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to contact Virgil Fredenberg, Coordinator of the Mathematics Elementary Education Program.
How to Apply to EED for your Endorsement (after completing coursework):
- Go to the Teacher Certification page at the EED Web site and follow their directions to Add an Endorsement.
- Send EED's Add an Endorsement form and a check made out to EED for their fee to UAS-School of Education, 11120 Glacier Hwy, HA1, Juneau, AK 99801 (current fee information is on the form).
- Request that all relevant official transcripts be sent to UAS-School of Education, 11066 Auke Lake Way, HA1, Juneau, AK 99801. To obtain transcripts from any University of Alaska unit, visit UAOnline.
When we receive the above items, we will verify that you have completed all coursework for the Endorsement and will notify you if anything is missing.
Please note that once your information and materials are submitted and accepted, you are in EED's database as having the endorsement. However, it can take 3-6 months for the certificate to actually arrive in the mail. If you want to call EED to check on the status of your endorsement, phone 907-465-2800.