The Mathematics Elementary Education Graduate Certificate program at the University of Alaska Southeast provides the opportunity for teachers to become leaders in the field of Mathematics Education through distance education.
This program is designed for K-8 teachers who are seeking to strengthen their understanding of the mathematics they are teaching and preparing for their students to learn. This is a non-degree program that leads to a recommendation for a Mathematics (K-8) endorsement added to an Alaska Teaching Certificate.
Mathematics Education K-8
Education Graduate certificates provide candidates with eligibility endorsements to an Alaska teaching certificate. All course work must be completed within a seven-year period immediately preceding the date the graduate certificate is granted. Graduate certificates are granted by the University of Alaska Southeast; UAS provides the institutional recommendation to the student to submit to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development for endorsement.
The Mathematics Education (K-8) Certificate is a culturally responsive program designed to provide K-8 teachers with a deeper understanding of mathematical content and pedagogy. The courses will emphasize non-traditional, hands-on methods and approaches providing both rigor and pedagogy. Topics addressed include: problem solving; numeration and operations; algebra and functions; geometry and measurement; data analysis; statistics and probability; and calculus and trigonometry. ED S608 and ED S614 are offered on Juneau campus during summer session. Remaining courses in the program may be offered by e-Learning. It is expected that those enrolled in the program will complete it in 18–24 months
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable admission fee
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching or administrative certificate
- Two Letters of Recommendation on SOE form.
- Official transcript(s) indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00.
Requirements (2014-2015 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||21|
|EDMA||S608||Mathematical Problem Solving: An Overview for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S614||Numeration and Operations: Math Content and Pedagogy for K-8 teachers||3|
|EDMA||S654||Algebra and Functions: Math Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S655||Geometry and Measurement: Math Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S656||Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Math Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDMA||S658||Technology for Teaching and Learning Mathematics||3|
|EDMA||S657||Concepts of Calculus and Trigonometry: Math Content and Pedagogy for K-8 Teachers||3|
Applying to the Mathematics Education Graduate Certificate Program
By completing the UAS Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Education, you qualify for the UAS Institutional Recommendation to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development's Endorsement in Mathematics Education. You may apply for this program at any point in your coursework, but you must apply before applying to EED for your endorsement.
Submit the following items directly to the admissions office:
- A completed UAS graduate application and $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (on SOE recommendation form).
- A copy of current teaching or administrative certificate.
Submit all application materials to:University of Alaska Southeast
11120 Glacier Highway
Juneau, AK 99801
How to Apply to EED for your Endorsement (after completing coursework):
- Go to the Teacher Certification page at the EED Web site and follow their directions to Add an Endorsement.
- Send EED's Add an Endorsement form and a check made out to EED for their fee to UAS-School of Education, 11120 Glacier Hwy, HA1, Juneau, AK 99801 (current fee information is on the form).
- Request that all relevant official transcripts be sent to UAS-School of Education, 11120 Glacier Hwy, HA1, Juneau, AK 99801. To obtain transcripts from any University of Alaska unit, visit UAOnline.
When we receive the above items, we will verify that you have completed all coursework for the Endorsement and will notify you if anything is missing.
Please note that once your information and materials are submitted and accepted, you are in EED's database as having the endorsement. However, it can take 3-6 months for the certificate to actually arrive in the mail. If you want to call EED to check on the status of your endorsement, phone 907-465-2800.