Please note: This program is only available to individuals residing within the state of Alaska.
The Graduate Certificate in Reading--Reading Specialist Program prepares graduates to become reading specialists for children in kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Program candidates will apply reading theory and research, learn new methodologies, and develop collaborative leadership skills. Candidates attend to the Alaska Content Standards and federal mandates while recognizing and addressing how individual students may vary in achieving standardized goals. Candidates increase their abilities to teach fluent reading skills and comprehension strategies, assess reading difficulties, and develop student engagement in reading. They also share practical insights and current research with colleagues, including paraprofessionals.
Candidates who complete the required courses for the Graduate Certificate in Reading--Reading Specialist may request an institutional recommendation and apply to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development for a reading specialist endorsement to their current certificate.
The Graduate Certificate in Reading--Reading Specialist program is completely e-Learning delivered, with the exception of one summer, three-week course. All e-Learning courses use computer or audio-conference instruction.
Feel free to browse and share the brochure for this program.
Please refer to the academic catalog for a complete list of course requirements.
Graduate Certificate Program - Reading--Reading Specialist
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials or the application process. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
- A completed graduate application and $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted.
- Two SOE recommendations written by former or current professors, employers, or supervisors who are familiar with your work and performance and are not related to you.
- This requirement can be met by logging in to the UAS application portal and providing contact information for two references.
- Writing assessment.
- Statement of ability to do field experience.
- A copy of current teaching or administrative certificate.
Send all of these items to:
|Attn: Deema Ferguson|
|11066 Auke Lake Way|
Juneau, AK 99801