Special Education, M.A.T.
The M.A.T. in Special Education program prepares teacher candidates to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. This program is designed for candidates who do not currently have a teaching certificate. The program focuses on the unique needs of: (a) children and youth with disabilities; (b) Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and (c) Alaska’s remote, rural, and urban communities. The M.A.T. in Special Education program is designed to accommodate working professionals. Courses are offered in the evenings and in the summer, and all courses are offered online and/or via audio-conference. This e-learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their home communities while completing their graduate studies.
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||39|
|EDSE||S482||Inclusive Education for Students with Disabilities||3|
|ED||S605||Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|EDSE||S610||Assessing of Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE||S612||Curriculum & Strategies: Low Incidence||3|
|EDSE||S622||Curriculum & Strategies: High Incidence||3|
|EDSE||S677||Language & Literacy: Assessment and Intervention||3|
|EDSE||S685||Transition Considerations for Secondary Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSE||S692||Special Education Seminar||3|
|EDSE||S694||Special Education Practicum||3|
|EDSE||S695||Professional and Ethical Practice||3|
Select one from the following (3 credits):
|ECE||S661||Literacy and Young Children||3|
|ED||S603||Alaska Literature for Young People||3|
|ED||S615||Literacy in the Intermediate and Middle School Grades||3|
|EDET||S628||Technology in Instructional Design||3|
|EDMA||S608||Mathematical Problem Solving: An Overview for K-8 Teachers||3|
|EDRE||S678||Literature and Reading: Supporting Readers||3|
|EDRE||S679||Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDSE||S609||Classroom Management & Child Guidance in Early Childhood||3|
|____||S___||Approved Instructor Elective||3|
- Satisfactory completion of all courses
- GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Official Praxis Core exam scores meeting Alaska Department of Education & Early Development requirements for initial teacher certification
- Official Praxis Subject Assessments as required by the State for your subject area meeting Alaska Department of Education & Early Development requirements for initial teacher certification
Master of Arts in Teaching Program - Special Education
Please return all items to the the Admissions office as instructed below.
Step 1: Consult with the Program Coordinator.
Step 2: Send application documents to Admissions
- Graduate application for admission (MAT program)
- Admission fee of $60.
- Official transcript with evidence of baccalaureate degree awarded, GPA 3.0
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Two Letters of Recommendation with SOE forms (.doc)
- Admission Writing Sample of two parts: Instructions
- Passing Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators) exam results -see note #3 (Register @ ETS).
- Background Check
- If you are employed by a district - provide evidence that you have had a background check as part of your employment, OR
- Request an Interested Person Report at your local law enforcement office
UAS - Admissions, 11120 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK 99801
Admissions fax: 907-796-6365
For admission or registration questions, contact the student services assistant: email@example.com
- Applicant faxes or mails unofficial transcripts to advisor
- Advisor completes transcript analysis
- Applicant and advisor discuss individual’s program
Step 3: Complete program prerequisites
- GPA of 3.0 from undergraduate transcript. (If your GPA is below 3.0, you can be admitted conditionally.)
- Prerequisite coursework as recommended by advisor
- Admission status notices are mailed out by the School of Education.
- Provisional admission status may be granted.
- You must TAKE the Praxis CASE test for admission. If you do not pass all sections of the test, you may retake it. You must PASS the Praxis CASE prior to full admission and prior to placement in any school practicum.
- You must maintain a 3.0 GPA in these programs. You must receive a grade of "C" or better in each course for it to count. A "C-" grade will not be counted as “passing.”