Beginning the summer of 2009, the University of Alaska Southeast and the School of Education began offering a one-year M.Ed. in Educational Leadership program.
The M.Ed. in Educational Leadership program is a cohort program designed to prepare candidates to become school administrators in Alaska.
This program will prepare candidates for the challenges and opportunities inherent in assuming roles as educational leaders in public schools.
We are now accepting applications for candidates in our next cohort. To be considered in the first round for the upcoming program, candidates must submit application materials by mid-January of each year. A secondary review of applications will be completed in an ongoing manner based on available space in the program. Cohorts start in July of each year and candidates should apply for the summer semester.
See the M.Ed. Educational Leadership brochure for additional information.
Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
The M.Ed. Educational Leadership program is a cohort program designed to prepare candidates to become school administrators in Alaska. The program prepares candidates for the challenges and opportunities inherent in assuming roles as educational leaders in public schools. The program is specifically targeted at preparing administrators for the rural school districts in the state.
The M.Ed. program in Educational Leadership is designed to provide candidates the opportunity to begin the program in one summer session and complete it in the next. In addition, candidates will be expected to complete courses and School of Education approved internship during the school year. Summer courses will be held on the Juneau campus of the University of Alaska Southeast. Fall and spring courses will be delivered through technology.
Program Assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted on the Program Assessment website.
Admission to the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership requires the following:
- A completed graduate application and $60 non-refundable application fee
- Official academic transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Three years public school teaching experience
- Letter of recommendation or support from the superintendent of schools and school board of the district in which the internship will occur
- Statement of professional objectives in a 2-3 page paper. This paper will cover the candidate’s educational and professional experiences and outline the professional goals to be achieved through the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership.
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||36|
|ED||S637||Introduction to Educational Leadership||9|
|ED||S638||Curriculum and Instruction Leadership I||3|
|ED||S639||Curriculum and Instruction Leadership II||3|
|ED||S690||Educational Leadership II||9|
|ED||S691||Internship in Educational Leadership I, II||6|
|ED||S698||Master’s Research Project or Portfolio||3|
For more information please search through our class schedules.
Master of Education Program - Educational Leadership
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials of the application process. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
- A completed graduate application and $60 processing fee.
- Official academic transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted.
- Document at least three years public school teaching experience. Each school district worked for must complete this Employment Verification form.
- Letter of recommendation and support from the superintendent of schools (or their designee) from the district in which the internship will occur.
- Statement of Professional Objectives. This is a 2-3 page typewritten and double spaced formal paper containing:
A. the candidate's educational and professional experiences and
B. outline the professional goals to be achieved through the M.Ed. in
C. please see the writing sample guidelines.
Send all of these items to:
|Attn: Deema Ferguson|
|11120 Glacier Hwy|
Juneau, AK 99801
If you have any questions about the program please feel free to contact Martin Laster, Coordinator of the Educational Leadership Program.