- Eat the regional food.
- Discover an out of the way cafe.
- Meet the locals.
- Travel when you can.
- Put away your IPhone.
- Bring extra spending money.
- Take a class you can't back home.
- Bring something Alaskan to share.
- Make friends. It's easier than you think.
- Choose wisely in new situations.
- Research not only the university but the location.
- Accept that studying away isn't going to be what you are use to.
- Get away from the familiar and try new things.
- Travel and adventure. It will make the study away experience more fulfilling.
- Culture shock really happens, even when in the lower 48!
- Be prepared for a completely different learning environment.
- Don't worry about the cash spent. It is so worth it!
- Pat yourself on the back. Many students don't take advantage of this opportunity.
Ricky Tagaban: UAS outgoing NSE student visiting New York