Celebrating 30 Years
The Senator Ted Stevens Legislative Internship Program is the new name of the longstanding University of Alaska internship program, hosted by the University of Alaska Southeast. The program, now in its 30th year, enables qualified students from the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF), and the University of Alaska Southeast (UAS), to earn college credits while working in the Alaska Legislature.
Alaska legislative interns work full time in the Alaska State Legislature in Juneau, placed in the office of one State Senator or Representative. In addition, students participate in a demanding academic program that combines classroom time and rigorous, guided research. Students who complete the program earn a total of twelve credits.
Funding of stipends for students comes largely through a generous donation from the Ted Stevens Foundation.
Want to Find Out More?
- October 15
- Complete application packets due, 11:59PM
- Early November
- Possible interviews with campus coordinators
- Students notified regarding acceptance
- November 30
- Student acceptance deadline, 11:59 PM
- December 15
- Placement deadline: students must find a placement and notify the statewide coordinator by this date. Legislative offices must forward their acceptance of the placement as well.
- January 9
- Interns due in Juneau (approximate)
- January 10–11
- Legislative orientation (approximate)
- January 14
- Beginning of legislative session (approximate)
- January 29
- First evaluation due
- February 13
- Second evaluation due
- March 4
- Third evaluation due
About Ted Stevens
During his 40 years representing Alaska in the U.S. Senate, Senator Stevens invited students from across the state to participate in his internship program in D.C. They witnessed first- hand how the Senator tackled difficult issues, worked collaboratively with diverse groups, developed innovative solutions, and championed important legislative initiatives, including:
- Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act
- Trans-Alaska Pipeline Authorization Act
- Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation Act
- American Fisheries Act
- Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act
He was a national leader on pension reform, women in sports, health care, telecommunications, transportation, and aviation.