HIM S291 Internship in Healthcare Management
2 credits (.5+0+6)
Eighty clock hours of professional internship in an assigned health care setting. Application of operational management theory for a health information service. Orientation to all aspects of practice as a health information manager. Completion of management projects designed jointly by student and clinical supervisor. Student writes project report and site evaluation. Prerequisite: Completion of all lower level HIM courses or concurrent.
This internship is for students admitted into the Health Information Management program.
It is arranged on an as needed basis.
- Utilize basic descriptive, institutional and healthcare statistics
- Analyze data to identify trends
- Summarize health information related leadership roles
- Apply the fundamentals of team leadership
- Organize and facilitate meetings
- Adhere to work plans, policies, procedures and resource requisitions in relation to job functions
- Comply with ethical standards of practice
- Evaluate the consequences of a breach of healthcare ethics
- Assess how cultural issues affect health, healthcare quality, cost and HIM
- Create programs and policies that support a culture of diversity