Learn From Home ... Find Your Future
Looking to Further Your Education or Change Your Career?
Whether you are new to college, returning after a hiatus, or striving for another degree, we recommend you connect with one of our Student Success Advisors to discuss your educational goals and next steps.
Interested in Personal Enrichment or Career Enhancement Classes?
If you are looking for short-term workshops or training opportunities, you will find more information on the Continuing Education page.
Checklist for Entering a Program
Are you ready to pursue an educational program at UAS Sitka Campus? This checklist will guide you through the process. Many of the steps can be completed at the same time, in order to streamline your progress.
- Connect with an Advisor - Regardless of your location, our advisors are available to assist you with your career and educational goals, and connect you with the appropriate resources along the way.
- Take Placement Tests - Placement tests assess your abilities in English, Math, and Computers, in order to help determine your course selections. Our tutors can assist you with various options in preparing for and taking the exams you need.
- Apply for Admission - To work toward a degree or to apply for financial aid, you will need to be admitted into a program. Our advisors are available to assist you with admission requirements and the online application process.
- Apply for Financial Aid - If you need financial assistance to help pay for your tuition, the very first step is completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Our advisors are available to assist you with understanding your options and the processes involved.
- Register for Classes - Whether you are a part-time or a full-time student, stay on track with your degree program by selecting, scheduling and registering for your classes.
- Arrange for Payment - If you are not applying for financial assistance, payment plans are available. Please apply early, as tuition and fees are due at the beginning of each semester.
- Start Classes - Prepare for your classes as early as possible by ordering your books and accessing your course sites before the semester begins.
General Educational Diploma (GED)
The General Educational Diploma (GED) test series is equivalent to a high school diploma. It consists of five tests: Reading, Writing, Math, Social Studies and Science. This series is also available in Spanish.
Those who should enroll for GED instruction include:
- Adults 18 or older (or ages 16-17 with parental consent)
- Adults not enrolled in high school
- Adults who have not graduated from high school
Call or stop by the UAS Student Success Center to:
- Register and take the pre-test
- Schedule tutoring as necessary
- Complete test orientation and the GED test series
Pre-tests, study materials, and tutoring are FREE but there is a $25 fee for GED test administration which includes all five tests and any necessary retests.
Each test in the GED series takes 1-2 hours, so plan on at least two days to complete all five of them.
Registration, pretesting and tutoring are available whenever the Student Success Center is open and staff members are available.
Want Help Improving Your Skills for Employment?
Individual or small group instruction in reading, math and English as a Second Language is available through our Student Success Center. Connect with one of our tutors for assistance in improving your skills and employment opportunities.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Our Student Success staff are available to assist you with a variety of FREE services and resources:
- Individual tutoring and computer learning programs
- Books, audio tapes and video tapes – designed to improve reading, writing, speaking, listening and pronunciation skills including workplace literacy
- Conversational English and vocabulary classes
- Citizenship assistance, information and references
- Academic preparation for college and TOEFL Exams
- Driving test preparation
"I find online study is very convenient. I can do it while my kids sleep."
Robert Castro, Pre-Nursing Student
Student Success Center
General Operating Hours
(or by appointment)
(by appointment only)
Call to schedule your exam: 747-7717
By appointment only.