UAS Staff Featured for First Friday, March 7

UAS staff and students are featured in art and literary events for the March 2008 First Friday in downtown Juneau.

Painting by Alexis Rippe 

Oil paintings by Library Assistant Beatrice Franklin are part of a three woman show at the Juneau Arts and Culture Center. Franklin discovered painting when she took a UAS art course in 2005. She says a UAS art history course led her to painting. “I think that landscapes give me the most opportunity to be intuitive and inventive,” writes Franklin. “I try for mood, movement and sincerity.” The JAHC exhibit also features the work of former students and professional artists Alexis Rippe and Magil Pratt, who is the spouse of UAS Math faculty Chris Hay-Jahans. “I’m drawn by a desire to capture in paint something that catches my eye, whether it’s a color, combination of colors, the play of light and shadow, or a particular scene,” said Pratt. According to the Juneau Arts and Humanities website (www.jahc.org), “The artists are presenting landscapes and still lifes in oil, pastel, colored pencil, and oil pastel in a variety of styles. The works have been created within the last 3 years and previously not been shown in Juneau.” “Painting, for me, is a journey through the interaction of light and color,” says Rippe.  “Using these elements, I try to present snippets of life as they are revealed on the stage of life.” The trio have been students of UAS Art faculty Jane Terzis, Alice Tersteeg and David Woodie.  Opening reception is Friday, March 7 at the new Juneau Arts and Culture Center (former Armory Building) from 4:30-7 p.m.

UAS Marketing and Public Relations Director Katie Bausler will read some of her personal works in progress including poetry at a First Friday Literary event at the Downtown Public Library at 7 p.m., Friday March 7. Most of the writing was completed for courses taken at UAS for a Masters Degree in English from Middlebury College. “I find myself working through significant life events and capturing special moments through writing,” said Bausler. “I look forward to sharing my writing and engaging attendees in a dialogue about the writing process.” Bausler considers former UAS faculty Alexis Easley a mentor. Easley now teaches English at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Content maintained by Webmaster.