PIOs are responsible for ensuring that affected populations receive accurate and timely information during an emergency.
The City and Borough of Juneau is offering a FREE course for those who might deal with internal and external communications during an emergency at the University of Alaska Southeast, Student Recreation Center in Juneau, on Wednesday October 23rd and Thursday October 24th from 8am-4:30 p.m.
Public Information Officers (PIOs) are responsible for ensuring that affected populations receive accurate and timely information during an emergency. This two-day course is designed to prepare participants to function as full-or part-time PIOs. Additionally, this training is a prerequisite and foundation for more advanced FEMA training that takes participants from the awareness level to the mastery level in their public information careers. This training will equip participants with the basic skills needed to be full or part-time PIOs such as oral and written communications, and understanding and working with the media, and basic tools and techniques needed to perform effectively.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate how to communicate emergency public information effectively in writing to the public through the news media.
- Describe actions the PIO can take to prepare for and conduct an effective interview with the news media.
- Demonstrate the ability to answer questions effectively during an on-camera interview.
- Describe how to effectively perform the responsibilities of the PIO at the scene of an incident.
- Describe the JIS/JIC concepts as they apply to the public information function in an expanding incident.
- Participate in a panel discussion with members of the news media.
This course is intended for individuals who have public information responsibilities as their main job or as an auxiliary function at the State, Tribal, and local level of government or with affiliated volunteer organizations and private partners active in disaster. A secondary includes individuals who would benefit from a general understanding of the emergency public information function, including elected and other officials with responsibilities that would necessitate their working with PIOs or the news media during an emergency incident.
None. Space is limited. Individuals who have emergency public information responsibilities as their main job or as an auxiliary function will be given priority.
To Register Please Contact: Tom Mattice, Juneau Emergency Programs (907) 586-0419 or email to: Tom_Mattice@ci.juneau.ak.us