With the university budget cuts in the headlines, there has never been a more challenging time for UAS. In these difficult times, UAS is grateful for the support of the community, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and donors. We proudly report that the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) granted renewal of our accreditation for another seven year period. Accreditation is what allows UAS to grant degrees, award credit, and offer federal financial aid. Achieving this renewal, even in the face of the budget challenges, is a major accomplishment. With this positive news in mind, be reassured that UAS is open for business. Student success is at the core of our mission, and our dedication to that goal is unwavering. UAS is accepting applications for admission and housing, and we are busy registering students for classes. Thank you for your strong and enduring support for UAS and for Alaska’s university system.
UAS works through its Strategic Planning and Budget Advisory Committee (SPBAC), which meets regularly, as well as shared governance processes to keep all informed about new developments and to offer avenues for engagement in addressing budget and structure issues.
A chronological list of Chancellor Caulfield's communications and events in which the budget has been addressed. The University of Alaska System also has a page dedicated to the budget issues with news updates, videos, documents, and more.
- 10-18-19 - Provost's Memo on Expedited Program Review
- 09-05-19 - Chancellor's Forum on Budget and Potential UA Restructure - handout
- 08-01-19 - UAS Alumni Budget Forum with Chancellor Caulfield - 5:30 pm in Egan Lecture Hall and Livestreamed on YouTube Live
- 07-31-19 - Email to UAS Employees regarding July 30 Board of Regents Action on UA Structure
- Board of Regents Motion on university organizational structure - July 30, 2019
- 07-19-19 - Juneau Empire "My Turn" Editorial by Chancellor Caulfield: UAS Still Has Reason to Celebrate Amid Budget Cut Fears
- 07-18-19 - Message to Alumni & Friends
- 07-16-19 - Email to UAS Students regarding July 15 Board of Regents Meeting about possible Financial Exigency
- 07-15-19 - Email to UAS Employees regarding July 15 Board of Regents Meeting about possible Financial Exigency
- 07-10-19 - Email to UAS Faculty, Staff, and Students regarding Advocacy for Budget Veto Override
- 07-02-19 - Budget Forum For Employees from 4-5 in Egan Lecture Hall (audio conference participation provided)
- 07-01-19 - Special Message for Students
- 06-24-19 - Chancellor's Comments - UAS Accreditation Update; UA FY20 Budget Process Update
- 04-16-19 - Video Message about Budget posted to Facebook
- 03-07-19 - Budget Forum #2 For Employees from 4-5 in Egan Library Media Classroom (audio conference participation provided)
- 03-06-19 - Strategic Planning and Budget Advisory Committee (SPBAC) Meeting
- 03-04-19 - Juneau Campus Advisory Council Meeting Presentation
- 03-01-19 - UAS Advocacy Toolkit posted to Website and shared via email with Students, Staff, Faculty, and Advisory Councils
- 02-20-19 - Budget Forum for Students from 4-5 PM in Egan Lecture Hall (audio conference participation provided)
- 02-20-19 - Chancellor's Report: UA Budget Challenges (also shared FY20 Advocacy Information from the UA Government Relations Office)
- 02-15-19 - Budget Forum #1 for Employees from 3-4 PM in Egan Lecture Hall (audio conference participation provided)
- 02-15-19 - Video Message about Budget posted to Facebook
- 02-13-19 - Message to UAS Faculty and Staff About the Budget
The best thing you can do to advocate for the university is share why UAS is important to your friends, family members, and professional and personal networks. Did your UAS education help you start your own business or land your dream job? Do you and your family regularly take advantage of the science and cultural activities at UAS? Do you hire UAS graduates at your business? Your stories are the most compelling.
Serving as an elected official is a huge commitment and is often a thankless job. Regardless of your political leanings, make sure to thank them for stepping up to serve Alaska and our communities.
Contact your legislator by email
- To a representative: Rep.FirstName.LastName@akleg.gov
- To a senator: Sen.FirstName.LastName@akleg.gov
Not sure who represents you? If you don’t know who your legislators are, use the “Who Represents Me?” tool on the bottom right of the Alaska Legislature’s homepage.
If you want to keep up with what’s happening in Juneau, you can visit UA Government Relations and scroll down to subscribe to the Capitol Report.
University of Alaska advocacy materials and related sites.