Charla A. Brown, Ph.D.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Social Psychology (Ph.D.) - Brigham Young University
- Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (M.S.) - Lamar University
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (B.A.) - Lamar University
- Strategic Growth & Change Management - Business Case Study, Backcountry.com
- Gender Role Behaviors - Dissertation, Brigham Young University
- Group Behaviors - Thesis, Lamar University
- Global Trends/Influences - Correlation Department - Corporation for the President
- Qualitative Analyses - Office of Institutional Effectiveness & Assessment - Brigham Young University
- Success Factors for Public Engagement - Lamar University
Dr. Brown is the Chair for the Business and Public Administration Department and an Assistant Professor of Management. She teaches courses that are core to the Bachelor of Business Administration degree, along with classes specific to the emphasis areas in Management and Human Resource Management.
Dr. Brown serves as the Northwest Human Resource Management Association (NHRMA) College Relations Director supporting student SHRM chapters in Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Additionally, in this capacity, she co-chairs the HR Leaders of Tomorrow Student Conference Planning Committee for the tri-state region. She is also the chapter advisor for the UAS Student SHRM Chapter and is a board member for both the Alaska SHRM State Council and the Southeast Alaska SHRM Chapter.
Before pursuing a career in academia, Dr. Brown worked in various management and executive HR positions with competency expertise around strategic planning, corporate culture, change management, and leadership. Her experience spans a variety of industries including oil and gas, airline transportation, and e-commerce start-ups with former employers being Enron, Devon Energy, Backcountry.com, and Continental Airlines.
Dr. Brown received the UAS Faculty Teaching Excellent Award in 2018 and the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) 2016 Teaching Excellence Award for Region 7. Additionally, she holds a PhD in Applied Social Psychology and a Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. She enjoys networking, collaborating, travelling the world, and participating in Crossfit.b
- Department Chair - Business and Public Administration (2018 to 2020)
- Program Chair - Business Administration, Human Resource Management, and Management Information Systems (2013 - Present)
- Principal Consultant (Founder & Owner) - Northern Solstice Advisors (2010 - Present)
- Vice President of Human Resources - Career Step - Provo, UT (2010)
- Director of Human Resources - Backcountry.com (Liberty Media) - Park City, UT (2005-2009) (NYSE: LMDIA)
- Human Resource Manager - Devon Energy/Ocean Energy - Oklahoma City, OK/Houston, TX (2001-2003, 2009) (NYSE: DVN)
- International Human Resource Manager - Enron - Houston, TX (1997-2001) (NYSE: ENE)
- International Human Resource Manager - Continental Airlines - Houston, TX (1995-1997) (NYSE: CAL)
Honors & Achievements
- Alfred P. Sloan, Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility, Honorable Mention Award for Backcountry.com
- Psychologically Healthy Workplace Award for Large Businesses, State of Utah & American Psychological Association for Backcountry.com
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, President
Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Guatemala, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Poland, Puerto Rico, Scotland, St. Martin/St Maarten, Switzerland, United Kingdom.