Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

If you don't find your answer submit a question ».

Financial Aid is financial assistance for students to help pay for their college expenses including grants, scholarships, loans, or work study

View the annual estimated cost of attendance

Just remember, these amounts are estimates on how much it will cost to attend University of Alaska Southeast. Estimated cost vary between living on or off campus or with your parents and if you are an undergraduate or a graduate student and how many credits you register for. More information and a detailed outline of the tuition and fees for attendance at UAS is available.

 You will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  For information please look at our checklist for information about applying and to make sure every steps are completed.

Loan limits are based on how many credits a student has and if they are an independent or a dependent student. Below is a chart of annual loan limits a student is eligible to receive.

Stafford Annual Loan Limits






Loan Limits


(0-29 credits)






 (30-59 credits)






(60-89 credits)





(90+ credits)









Fund disbursement depends on your funding source. If you have state or federal funding, your funds will likely be disbursed electronically to your student account a few days before the start of the term. You will need to endorse checks from other funding agencies if they are made out to both you and the university. If you have more financial aid funds than university charges, a refund check will be issued to you.

Endorse checks and pick up refunds at the Student Accounts Office in the Novatney Building (907-796-6267), or at the Business Office (Ketchikan 907-225-2256 and Sitka 907-747-6653).

See Disbursement Procedures for more information.

University of Alaska Southeast's school code is 001065.

Yes, you can sign up for a payment plan through the Tuition Management System. Please visit the TMS Student Account Center website for more information or contact the Student Accounts Office at 907-796-6267 or

This is a process in which the education institution confirms the accuracy reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A minimum of 30% of UAS students who apply for financial aid will be selected by the federal processor. You must complete this process so that financial aid can be determined and awarded to you if you are selected.

By your UAS student email address or the email address you provided on your FAFSA application. If no email address is provided we will correspond to you via US mail. Please inform the Financial Aid Office if you prefer to use a different email address or you can fill out the change of status form.

You would fill out the Award Revision Request form in the Miscellaneous Forms section on our forms page.

Yes. There are many scholarships for students who attend UAS. The annual application deadline is in February. View the UAS scholarships.

There are many scholarships for Alaska Native Students

This is a voucher for you to order distance (e-learning) books through MBS by using your Financial Aid. You must complete the Federal Aid Refund Instruction Form, available through our Financial Aid Forms page. To receive a voucher, your entire financial aid requirements must be completed, and approved. To request a book voucher, visit the MBS Book Vouchers page.

Interest rates depend on the school year your loan was taken out. Please refer to the chart for more information:

Loan Type


Fixed Interest Rate

Direct Subsidized Loans (Undergraduate Students)5.05%
Direct Unsubsidized Loans (Undergraduate Students)5.05%
Direct Unsubsidized Loans (Graduate or Professional Students)6.60%
Direct PLUS Loans (Parents and Graduate or Professional Students)7.60%

You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year that you wish to receive federal Financial Aid. Make sure you enter UAS School Code: 001065

For scholarships, many require a new application or a renewal application. Make sure you contact the scholarship coordinators at the organizations for their criteria's.

You can find view this on UAOnline

Step 1: Log in to

Step 2: Click on Financial Aid

Step 3: Click on Financial Aid Status

Step 4: Select the Current Aid Year

Now, you are able to see your student requirements, the message for each requirement, if there are any holds placed onto your account and your academic progress.

Deadlines are based on the funding agency programs (scholarship, grants etc.). Confirm with your funding agency for their exact deadlines.

To receive federal aid it is recommended and preferred that you apply before the semester starts. The first day you can fill out the FAFSA is October 1st for the next aid year. For example, if you were to attend college in the Fall of 2019, you would be able to complete the FAFSA on October 1, 2018.

Our UAS Scholarship Application Deadline is February 15th.

To receive financial aid you must be admitted to an eligible degree program.

Admission Application Deadlines are:

Fall Semester - August 1st

Spring Semester - December 15th

Summer Semester - May 1st

You must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

We are located in the Novatney building right next to the Admission and Registrar’s office.

If your federal award falls short of your costs, you can:

  • Apply for scholarships.
  • Seek employment. There are many on-campus jobs for students that are part-time and have flexible schedules.
  • Make payment arrangements over the course of the semester for your university-related charges:
    • Contact the Student Accounts Office at 907-796-6267 and ask about monthly payment plans.
  • Apply for an alternative or "private" loan.

You can accept all, none, or any portion of the funding you've been offered. If you want a portion of what you've been offered, accept a smaller amount on UAOnline. Later in the academic year you may request previously declined loans if funding is needed.

Exit Counseling is to help you understand your rights and responsibilities prior to graduating or leaving school.

All students who leave the University of Alaska Southeast either by graduating, withdrawing, or failing to return for a subsequent semester are required by Federal Law to complete the Exit Loan Counseling.  To ensure compliance of this regulation a hold will be placed on your student account until we can verify that you have completed this requirement.


Content maintained by Financial Aid. Feedback Form