Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

Covid-19 Office Operations

Our offices are available for phone or video appointments. Email or call for more information. For information, please visit the UA coronavirus information website.

Other Types of Financial Aid

How to Apply for Federal Financial Aid

Visit the Financial Aid Checklist to see what steps you need to take to receive Financial Aid. 

Do you have questions about how to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?

Where do you find out more information about Federal funding?

  • - Access for students to federal agencies and information about financial aid, career development, education planning, and consumer protection.
  • - A portal to 20,000 government web sites with some 27 million web pages, including many related to student financial aid. Visitors can search for government information by topic rather than by agency.

Are you an American male between 18 and 25?

  • You'll need to be registered with the Selective Service in order to be eligible for federal funding.

Do you need to submit your birth certificate to Financial Aid?

You can request one from Vitalchek or if you were born in Alaska you can visit this site

Student Employment

Part-Time Employment

student worker

For information on employment opportunities in the community, contact the UAS Career Center in the Novatney Building or at 907-796-6368. Or, visit either the job sites of the UAS Personnel Office or the State of Alaska Job Service. Another good source for job listings with the State of Alaska is at Workplace Alaska.

Federal Work Study Program

This is a need-based work program which requires that students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will need to include the University of Alaska Southeast's School or Title IV Code: 001065. See Application Procedures for more information.

Federal Work Study programs allow students to work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and up to 40 hours per week during semester breaks. Wages are typically between $7.50 and $9.50 per hour, and are paid directly to the student every two weeks. The amount of the Federal Work Study award over an academic year is determined after all other has been awarded. Federal Work Study is considered a part of your financial aid, and may help you to be even more eligible for need-based aid (such as Pell grant or Stafford loan, or both) in the next academic year. This program is also a useful way to minimize how much you borrow.

If you are interested in Federal Work Study:

  1. Contact the Financial Aid Office to verify your eligibility. You will need to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you have not done so already. The UAS School code is 001065.
  2. Apply for student employment with UAS. Positions are available on-campus, and in the local elementary schools and family literacy center as Reader and Math Buddies. Contact us for a list of available schools.
  3. When hired, contact the Financial Aid Office for further instructions.

International Students

While not eligible for Federal Financial Aid (Pell, Stafford, etc.), International Students can apply for many UAS and UA-statewide scholarships, as well as for some alternative loans. In addition, the links below have many other scholarship opportunities to help you fund your education in the U.S. They also contain general information about what you need to do before you leave your country.

For admissions information, please visit the page Admissions Website for International Students.

Scholarships and General Information:

Study Abroad

For questions about studying abroad and how to arrange the program, please contact our exchange student coordinator. You can refer to the Exchange and Study Abroad section of the UAS website for general information, or their page for Scholarships, Grants and Fellowships for financial aid information. 

Two or more institutions may enter into a consortium or contractual agreement so that a student can continue to receive FSA funds while studying at  school or organization other than his or her "home" school. (The home school is the one that will grant the student's degree or certificate).

A consortium agreement can apply to all FSA programs. Under a consortium agreement, students may take courses at a school other than the home school and have those courses count toward the degree or certificate at the home school. A student can only receive FSA assistance for courses that are applicable to the student's certificate or degree program.

In a consortium agreement there is no limit on the portion of the eligible program that may be provided by eligible schools other than the home school. Agreement contents can vary widely and will depend upon the interests of the schools involved and the accrediting or state agency standards. The Department does not dictate the format of the agreement (which can be executed by several different offices) or where the agreement is kept. However, the following information should be included in all agreements:

  • the school that will grant the degree or certificate;
  • the student's tuition, fees, and room and board costs at each school;
  • the student's enrollment status at each school;
  • the school that will be responsible for disbursing aid and monitoring student eligibility; and
  • the procedures for calculating awards, disbursing aid, monitoring satisfactory progress and other student eligibility requirements, keeping records, and distributing FSA refunds.

Content maintained by Financial Aid. Feedback Form