Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Getting Started with Blackboard Collaborate Ultra!
Students and Faculty
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is the University's online meeting software for online classes and student/staff collaboration. Collaborate is used primarily in teaching e-Learning courses but it can also be used to present guests speakers, hold virtual office hours, and bring together colleagues from all over the world. It requires no software download, running entirely in the browser.
We highly recommend completing the Blackboard Collaborate Setup PRIOR to your first class. We suggest using a headset during Collaborate sessions. If unavailable, you will need speakers and microphone. Some instructors require a headset.
Step 1: Accessing your Course and Session
- In your browser open the UAS online home page (online.uas.alaska.edu) or the Blackboard Homepage (classes.alaska.edu).
- Click the bookmark to your course.
- Once connected to your Blackboard course, look at the menu on the left. (Figure 1)
- Click Collaborate Ultra (Note: It is possible that the Collaborate Ultra link in your class may be hidden or been given a different name. Contact your instructor if you have questions about the sessions planned for your class.)
- Meetings can be accessed in one of two ways: (Figure 2)
- Course Room (at the top of the page) - if the room is listed as Unlocked (available), you can join at any time.
- Individual Sessions (listed below) - if your instructor has prepared sessions ahead of time, they can be accessed during their scheduled duration.
- Click on the session you would like to enter. (Figure 3)
- In the menu to the right, click on Join Course Room or Join Session.
- If your instructor allows, you can also connect to the Ultra session by phone or software. The Dial in number and PIN will be provided below the buttons.
Step 2: Initial Setup
- If this is your first time accessing a Collaborate Ultra session, you should see the Audio Test automatically.
- If not, access the Collaborate menu in the lower right, select My Settings menu (gear icon), then click Set up your camera and microphone. (Figure 4)
- Set your microphone to a comfortable level.
- Even if you don't plan to use it, set up your webcam too; some instructors will want to talk face-to-face.
- Check out the optional Tutorial to see other commonly used features.
- Your class session is often available to you 24/7
- You can use it to connect with classmates any time your instructor does not have scheduled class
Familiarize yourself with one or more of these resources for learning how to use Blackboard Collaborate:
If you have problems contact the Helpdesk for support toll free at 877-465-6400 or 907-796-6400 (in Juneau).