Skip to Main Content

Housing Policies

Policy Changes — Effective Immediately for Spring 2020 Housing

Please see the UAS Student Housing COVID-19 Information page for updates to Student Housing policies, effective immediately.

Notice of Nondiscrimination

The University of Alaska Southeast does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status.

When implementing this commitment, the University is guided by Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Civil Rights Act of 1991; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Executive Order 11246, and Executive Order 11375, as amended; Equal Pay Act of 1963; Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 and Age Discrimination Act of 1975; Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974; Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990; the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008; Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008; Pregnancy Discrimination Act; Immigration Reform & Control Act; Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other federal laws or Alaska Statutes which guarantee equal opportunity to individuals and protected classes within our society.

The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment.

This policy therefore affects employment policies and actions, as well as the delivery of educational services at all levels and facilities of the University. Further, the University's objective of ensuring equal opportunity will be met by taking affirmative action: i.e., making intensified, goal-oriented efforts to substantially increase the participation of groups where their representation is less than proportionate to their availability; providing reasonable accommodations to employees and students with disabilities; and ensuring that employment opportunities are widely disseminated to agencies and organizations that serve underrepresented protected classes.

The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies:

University of Alaska Southeast
Senior Human Resources Business Partner
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Phone: 907-796-6263

For sex discrimination claims or other inquiries concerning the application of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and its implementing regulations, individuals may contact the University’s Title IX Coordinator or the Assistant Secretary in the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights:

UAS Title IX Coordinator
11066 Auke Lake Way, Juneau, AK 99801
Phone: 907-796-6371
Office for Civil Rights, Seattle Office
U.S. Department of Education
915 Second Ave., Room 3310
Seattle, WA 98174-1099
Phone: 206-607-1600
TDD: 800-877-8339

For employment discrimination, employees and applicants for employment may file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at the below addresses within 180 calendar days of the alleged discriminatory act.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Federal Office Building
909 First Avenue
Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98104-1061
Phone: 800-669-4000
Fax: 206-220-6911
TTY: 800-669-6820

For educational discrimination, individuals may file a complaint with the U. S. Department of Justice

U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Educational Opportunities Section, PHB
Washington, D.C. 20530
Phone: 202-514-4092 or 1-877-292-3804 (toll-free)
Fax: 202-514-8337

For employment or educational discrimination, individuals may file a complaint with the State of Alaska:

Alaska State Human Rights Commission
800 A Street, Suite 204
Anchorage, AK 99501-3669
Anchorage Area: 907-274-4692
Anchorage Area TTY/TDD: 907-276-3177
Toll-Free Complaint Hot Line (in-state only): 800-478-4692
TTY/TDD Toll-Free Complaint Hot Line (in-state only): 800-478-3177

For discrimination related to a Department of Labor funded grant, individuals may file a complaint with the U. S. Department of Labor within 180 calendar days of the alleged discriminatory act.

U.S. Department of Labor
ATTENTION: Office of External Enforcement
Director, Civil Rights Center
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Room N-4123
Washington, DC 20210
Fax: 202-693-6505, ATTENTION: Office of External Enforcement (limit of 15 pages)

For discrimination related to a National Science Foundation funded grant, individuals may file a complaint with the National Science Foundation within 180 calendar days of the alleged discriminatory act.

National Science Foundation
Complaints Adjudication & Compliance Manager
Office of Diversity & Inclusion (ODI)
4201 Wilson Blvd., Rm. 255
Arlington, VA 22230
Phone: 703-292-8020
Alcohol in the Housing Community

Residents over 21 years old will have the privilege to consume alcoholic beverages in Student Housing so long as this privilege does not interfere with the basic purposes, functions, and environment of the University or the Housing community. These basic purposes would include departmental efforts to encourage the intellectual, ethical, and social growth of its residents; to allow for substantial areas of personal freedom for residents to know and practice standards of mature behavior, yet assure that such behavior does not infringe upon other residents’ rights to privacy and to study or rest within their units; and to acknowledge the behavior of residents as one of the factors which gives witness to the academic excellence and campus culture of the University and its attractiveness as a place for teaching and learning. Please note the guidelines below that speak to acceptable alcohol use and our policies.

Alcohol Policy

The use of alcoholic beverages should be in compliance with approved state, federal, and local laws, including, but not limited to the following:

  • A person less than 21 years of age shall not purchase alcohol, consume alcohol in licensed premises, or possess alcohol. A person who furnishes fraudulent identification to a person less than 21 years of age, or a person less than 21 years of age who uses a fraudulent identification to purchase alcoholic liquor, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
  • Alcohol shall not be sold or furnished to a person unless the person has attained 21 years of age. A person who knowingly sells or furnishes alcoholic liquor to a person who is less than 21 years of age is guilty of a misdemeanor. This includes hosting under-21 residents in an over-21 apartment where the minor is found to have consumed alcohol.
  • A person less than 21 years of age shall not knowingly transport or possess, in a motor vehicle, alcohol unless the person is employed by a licensee under the Liquor Control Commission Act or an agent of the Liquor Control Commission and is transporting or having the alcohol in a motor vehicle under the person’s control during regular working hours and in the course of the person’s employment. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor.
  • A person shall not transport or possess alcohol in a container which is open, uncapped, or upon which the seal is broken, within the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

The primary responsibility for knowing and abiding by the provisions of the Housing community alcohol regulations rests with each individual resident; however, the department has the authority to deal with infractions of such regulations by the procedures of due process as set forth in the Student Code of Conduct.

Alcohol Policy for Over-21 Residents

Alcoholic beverages may be possessed, or consumed, by members of the Housing community who are of legal status to possess or consume such beverages as defined by the laws of the State of Alaska. Consumption and possession of alcohol beverages is restricted to apartments designated as “Over-21 Units.” Alcoholic beverages are not to be possessed or consumed at any time or place in UAS Student Housing or its buildings unless specifically authorized by the provisions of this policy. Residents who are unsure of their unit status or who wish to request a status change (after the last ‘under 21’ roommate celebrates his/her 21st birthday) should consult with Student Housing staff.

  • Students eligible to possess or consume alcoholic beverages are to do so only within the privacy of the apartments of students who can legally possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Any apartment in which all residents are of legal age will be designated an “Over-21 Unit,”, and can thereby host the consumption of alcohol by any persons of legal age. An apartment in which even one resident is under the age of 21 shall be designated an “Under-21 Unit,” and will remain a substance-free apartment until such time that all roommates are over-21.
    • Alcohol is not to be stored or consumed in an “Under-21 Unit,” even in private rooms of those residents who are over the age of 21.
    • The entirety of John Pugh Hall is a substance-free facility.
  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages “in the privacy of (a resident’s) apartment” is interpreted to mean only within the apartment, with the door to the apartment closed, and with no more than 12 persons in an apartment at one time.
    • Students under 21 years of age may not be present in an “Over-21 Unit” when alcohol containers are open and/or alcohol is being consumed.
  • At no time shall the number of occupants at any gathering exceed the safe occupancy limit for the unit used – 20 individuals maximum.
  • No common sources of alcohol or other concentrations of alcohol which require a common container are allowed on the campus or any of its facilities, e.g., “trash cans.” Containers requiring the use of a “tap system” are also not allowed in Student Housing or in any of its facilities. Kegs and similar containers may not even be present when empty, used as furniture or decoration, etc. Likewise, excessive amounts of liquor bottles in any single apartment may be considered a common source of alcohol. Individuals found to be responsible for common sources of alcohol will be fined $250 each and alcohol will be confiscated and disposed of immediately.
  • Alcohol is not to be consumed outside of an “Over-21” unit. This may include but is not limited to porches, roofs, decks or other exterior structures of living units, nor on their lawns or grounds. Under this provision, alcohol is not to be consumed in common areas within the Housing complex, including anywhere in the Lodge or in outdoor common areas such as the pavilion, the basketball court, sidewalks, or parking lot.
  • Any alcohol found to be in the possession or presence of under-21 year-old individuals will be confiscated and disposed of immediately.
  • Residents under the age of 21 may not possess or transport empty bottles or alcohol containers, nor any glass or container in which alcohol residue or remnants can be detected. These materials will be considered alcohol paraphernalia and be confiscated by the responding staff members.
  • Distilling, fermenting, and brewing of beer and other spirits are not permitted on premises.
  • Public intoxication and disorderly conduct of an intoxicated individual, including a resident who may legally consume alcohol, will be considered a violation of the alcohol policy.
  • The consumption of alcohol by non-residents of an illegal age, especially minors under the age of 18, will be reported to the police.
  • The use of alcohol as an inducement to participate in an event on campus is prohibited. Any advertisement or invitation for an event where alcoholic beverages are served shall prominently note the availability of nonalcoholic beverages also. Any such advertisement or invitation shall not make reference to the amount of alcoholic beverages available at the event.
  • The suspected violation of any portion of this alcohol policy may result in the search of the living unit where the violation is to take place, especially in designated under-21 residences.

Alcohol Containers for Decorative Use

The use of alcohol bottles or containers for decorations is prohibited for all units regardless of age of resident. Empty containers used as decoration could be counted towards establishing what is a reasonable amount of alcohol present in a unit. Other alcohol-related decorations, such as posters, clocks and signs, are permitted, but they should not be visible from outside of the unit. When in doubt, ask Student Housing staff.

Animals - Service and Assistance

Student Housing recognizes the need and value service and assistance animals provide to their owners. Residents are encouraged to utilize Disability Services (see Disability Services in Campus Living Guide) for further questions regarding approval of a service or assistance animal in Student Housing. 

As partners in accomodating the presence of animals in our Housing community, it is important for residents with authorized animals to comply with the following policies:

  • Animals may be brought on University property provided that the animal is:

    • Confined in the owner's automobile (with consideration for weather conditions and ventilation)
    • On a leash or harness and accompanied at all times by an individual capable of controlling the animal.
  • Anyone who brings a pet on University property must:

    • Comply with CBJ ordinance requirements for sanitary disposal (08.40.040);
    • Assume all financial responsibility for any damage to property or injury to individuals caused by the animal.
  • Animals may not be tethered to University buildings, structures, motor vehicles, trees, railings, light poles, benches, posts, or other structures.

  • Animals found tethered to University property or wandering loose on campus may be reported to the local enforcement agency.                                                                                                   

  • Failure to adhere to these policies could result in non-compliance fines in addition to revocation of the resident’s right to have an animal in the Housing community. 
Appliances and Equipment

Each unit has been outfitted with appropriate appliances for resident use. For the safety of all residents, certain personal appliances are not permitted within the various units.

The following equipment may be brought into residence hall rooms or apartments:

  • Heat-producing appliances without exposed heating elements are permitted. These include irons, electric blankets, hair curlers, hair dryers, coffee-makers, hot pots, popcorn poppers, George Foreman grills, toasters, electric kettles, electric woks, and griddles. These items may only be used on approved flat surfaces in kitchens and bathroom counters, or on other stable, flat, non-flammable surfaces such as tables, countertops, or similar structures. When in doubt, please consult with Student Housing staff.
  • One refrigerator is permitted in each student bedroom if it is no more than five cubic feet in size and draws no more than 1.7 amps. These units are intended for limited storage of snack items, medicines, etc. For sanitation reasons, residents should unplug, empty, defrost and clean their personal refrigerator anytime they depart over a break. In the apartments, a single deep freezer or an additional refrigerator may be placed in the storage room only.
  • Residents in two-bedroom apartments – Aurora, Bear, Coho, and Deer Buildings, are allowed to hook up a washer and dryer in the storage room within their apartments, so long as the appliances are in safe, operable order. Regular maintenance and lint removal is expected to reduce fire risk. These appliances must be removed upon vacating. As these appliances could yield serious damage if they were to malfunction, residents may want to consider renter’s insurance.

The following may NOT be brought into residence hall rooms or apartments:

  • Halogen lamps; halogen desk lamps with completely enclosed tops on non-flexible stands are permitted
  • Dishwashers
  • Toaster ovens, pizza ovens, and convection ovens; regular drop-in style toasters are permitted
  • Buffet ranges and single-coil heating elements
  • Tanning beds or hot tubs
  • Kilns or other industrial or commercial appliances
  • Engines, hydraulic tools, generators, or other large mechanical pieces
Aquariums should be 10 gallons or less. No more than 25 gallons in total aquarium space is allowed per suite or apartment. See Pet Policy for more information.
Bed Bunking

For safety purposes, only furniture that has been designed for elevation or lofting, i.e. Banfield Hall beds, should be bunked, with use of proper tools and staff support.  Only Banfield Hall beds are designed and available for bunking.

There are a limited number of bunking materials and those will be assigned on a first-requested, first-served basis after move-in to Housing.

Bed Lofting

For safety purposes, only furniture that has been designed for elevation or lofting, i.e. Banfield Hall beds, should be elevated, with use of proper tools and staff support. The use of concrete blocks or any other materials for the purpose of elevating and/or stacking unit furniture are prohibited. Only Banfield Hall bedrooms that are shared bedrooms are permitted to be issued a loft kit due to availability.

Staff assistance will be provided for setup of a loft kit. It is the residents responsibility to take down a provided loft kit and place items in the appropriate location upon check-out or departure.

There are a limited number of loft kits and those will be assigned on a first-requested, first-served basis after move-in to Housing. 

Bicycles and Bicycle Racks
The bicycle racks provided are the only exterior Housing locations approved for bicycle storage.  Apartment residents have the option of keeping their bicycles in the storage room of their unit.  Bicycles are not permitted to be stored on apartment porches, on the Banfield Hall entry bridge, or anywhere within Banfield Hall or John Pugh Hall.
Bicycle Registration and Permits
All bicycles must be registered at a Housing desk location (Lodge or John Pugh Hall). Registration is free, and each item will receive a numbered permit sticker to be placed securely on the bicycle. It is the residents’ responsibility to make sure the permit stickers stay on the bicycle and to request a new registration if the original sticker has been lost. On a bicycle, the permit decal should be placed on the upper section of the main frame, near the handlebars.
Cable Television
Banfield Hall suites and apartment units have cable television hook-ups; however, cable television service is not provided by the University. Residents interested in having cable set-up for their unit should contact GCI directly. Please note that the University is not responsible for any service change fees associated with residents’ relocation to a different unit. Contact GCI Statewide at (800) 800-4800 for information about residential services.
Campus Safety

In any emergency situation, where there is a threat of imminent danger, residents should dial 9-1-1 (dial 8 + 911 on campus phones). After calling 911, or for situations that may not warrant calling emergency services, residents should contact the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) to inform staff of a crisis situation. Student Housing staff, including the Resident Advisors (RAs), are trained to assist in handling emergency situations and crisis response scenarios. These may include medical and trauma emergencies, mental health crises such as suicide risks or attempts, alcohol poisoning or unresponsiveness, violence and threats, and more. Residents are not encouraged to assist in situations where they might be placed in danger, such as confronting someone who is seemingly under the influence of intoxicating substances, someone who is making physical threats, or someone in possession of a weapon.

Personal Safety

Members of the Housing community are expected to act with respect and consideration for the rights, privileges, and sensibilities of others. Actions that, in any way, threaten or endanger the personal safety or security of others will not be tolerated. The following offenses will be regarded as extremely serious:

  • Deliberate participation in a riot or general disturbance which threatens the safety or seriously threatens the property of either campus community members or townspeople.
  • Intimidation by violence, a threat of violence, or property damage or that which seeks to interfere with the free expression of ideas or attempts to punish such free expression.
  • The possession, storage or use of firearms, weapons, ammunition, or any explosive or incendiary device, including firecrackers and other fireworks, on campus. (This does not include firearms or weapons stored legally and in accordance with UAS policies.)
  • The use or threatened use of weapons or objects capable of being used as weapons.
  • Any physical assault committed in the course of any University function or activity or on the premises of the University.
  • Any other act that seriously endangers human life or threatens serious physical or psychological injury.

Alcohol-Induced Emergencies

Heavily intoxicated individuals have a high risk of experiencing at least some symptoms of alcohol poisoning. Students who are aware that another individual who has been consuming alcohol is completely unresponsive should not simply assume that he/she has simply “passed out.” If attempts to rouse the person are unsuccessful, he/she may be in dire need of medical attention. Breathing may slow to dangerously low rates or students may choke on their own vomit if left unattended. Alcohol poisoning is just what it sounds like: the body is literally poisoned by excessive amounts of a toxic substance until the point where organs may begin to shut down or brain damage occurs. Other symptoms of alcohol poisoning is vomiting uncontrollably or vomiting blood, dilated pupils or uneven/unresponsive pupils, or seizures. These symptoms indicate an immediate need for medical care or assessment. Because individuals’ physiology and genetic predispositions vary greatly, one amount of alcohol may be just enough to give one person a “buzz,” while it is enough to put another into grave medical risk.

Emergency Medical Care

Though it is natural to attempt to help neighbors and friends when they are in need of professional care, residents are urged to avoid the inclination to move or transport injured, sick, or unstable individuals. Driving someone to the hospital, for instance, may be dangerous as conditions may worsen on the way to the hospital or their behavior might create unsafe driving conditions for others in the vehicle. Police, EMTs, First Responders, Firefighters, and other professional emergency response teams are better equipped to transport individuals in need of treatment. If a student is unsure of whether he/she or a friend may need medical care, the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) should be contacted and the Administrator-On-Duty (AOD) will be summoned. The AOD is trained to evaluate the general condition of the affected individual and to decide whether professional care should be requested.

Safety and Security Emergencies

Dangers such as physical/sexual assault and domestic violence, threat with a deadly weapon, burglary, fire, and other imminent risks should be reported to the police by dialing 9-1-1 (dial 8+911 on campus phones) before being referred to the CA on duty. Other emergency situations of lesser threats should still be relayed to the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) such as unruly behavior, trespassers, dangerous conditions in the facilities or on the grounds of housing, etc.

Items should not be hung from or attached to ceilings. It is especially important not to tamper with sprinkler heads as the damages associated with inadvertently setting those off could be very costly and any damage caused would be the financial responsibility of the resident.
Compliance with University Staff and Officials
Students are expected to fully comply with instructions, requests and directives issued by University staff and officials – including Resident Advisors (RAs) and Residence Life Assistants, while carrying out their responsibilities as staff members. Failure to comply with instructions, requests or directives, or incidents of insubordination resulting from instructions, requests or directives will be subject to conduct action.
Conflict Mediation (Facilitated Dialogue)
All members of Student Housing staff have been trained to facilitate conflict mediations (facilitated dialogue) between two or more individuals experiencing personal differences or communication difficulties. Residents having roommate conflicts request that mediation be scheduled for all individuals involved in the conflict. If residents are contacted by a staff member and asked to participate in mediation, they are expected to comply. Conflict mediations allow an external, objective party to help facilitate effective and civil communication, exchange of ideas, problem-solving, and compromise between two or more individuals. They can be very effective in resolving interpersonal difficulties. Residents participating in mediation should prepare to be fully engaged in the process with a desire to find a positive resolution to the conflict. Some mediation will result in an agreement being developed by participants. Residents contemplating a room change request should be aware that except for in extreme circumstances, they must engage in conflict mediation and have demonstrate a sincere effort to uphold any resulting agreement before the professional staff member will authorize a room change request.
Contraband Items

In addition to prohibited items listed in the Appliances and Equipment and Fire Safety sections, the following items or substances are prohibited in the Housing community. Contraband may be confiscated and conduct or legal action may be taken against residents in possession of contraband. Often times a resident will be notified in writing that a contraband item must be removed from Housing before it is confiscated. However, the University reserves the right to confiscate certain items that pertain to safety immediately without prior notice to the resident.

  • Firearms, explosives, other weapons, or ammunition (See the “Weapons and Firearms” section of this handbook)
  • Fireworks, firecrackers, or other pyrotechnic and incendiary products
  • Marijuana and illegal substances
  • Drug paraphernalia, such as bongs, bubblers, pipes, bowls, and hookahs
  • Halogen lamps
  • Wireless routers or access points
  • Space heaters with exposed heating elements
  • Air conditioning units
  • Waterbeds
  • (Burning) incense or candles with wicks; only jar candles should be present since they can be used with electric candle warmers.
  • Large quantities of kerosene, gasoline, laboratory chemicals, blasting caps, motor oil, or acids
Credit Requirements

Students residing on campus must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (undergraduate or graduate). Residents who are challenged in their courses and need to withdraw from classes to fewer than 6 credits should schedule a meeting with the Director of Residence Life prior to withdrawing.


Restitution for damages to one’s room or furnishings will be taken from the $300 security deposit, and any additional costs will be charged outright to the student’s account. Upon check-out, or when a resident has been found to vacate his or her room, the condition of the room and its contents will be compared to the conditions documented in the Room Condition Form that was completed when the resident assumed occupancy of the unit. Anything other than regular wear and tear will be charged to the student’s account. This might include damages to walls, broken desk or dresser drawers, torn or stained mattresses or draperies, burn marks, broken windows or mirrors, carpet stains, smoke and other odors, etc. Additionally, missing items, i.e. trash cans, lamps, mattresses, chairs, will be charged to the student’s account. Damages identified during the semester may be charged to a resident’s student account at the time the damages are discovered.

Damages to Common Areas Within Units

For damages to common areas within the living unit, such as to apartment living rooms, kitchens, halls, and bathrooms, as well to suite entryways and bathrooms, the residents will be questioned and the resident responsible for the damages will be charged. If the staff is unable to determine responsibility, the replacement or repair costs will be split between all residents of the suite or apartment and assessed accordingly. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests, so damages caused by non-residents will be charged to the resident who was hosting the individual(s) who caused the damage. Residents are encouraged to report such damages to Student Housing staff when they occur. Additionally, any resident found to be responsible for damages to or defacement of common areas such as lobbies, porches, the exterior of buildings, or any structures or grounds on university property will be charged costs accordingly.

Darts and Dart Boards
Darts and dart boards are not permitted in the Housing community due to noise generated and potential for damage to walls for which residents would be liable.
Decorations and Room Modifications

Because each resident’s room is his or her “home away from home,” Student Housing permits and encourages residents to create a comfortable and pleasant living space.

Decoration Restrictions and Recommendations

  • Nails, screws, plant hooks, or anything that embeds itself into the wall or surface may not be put into the walls or ceilings. Students should refrain from using duct, transparent, double-sided, or packaging tape, etc., as they may damage the paint and leave adhesive residue, which will result in charges for repair to the damaged area. Scotch tape works well for affixing photos and small posters to walls and doors. Products such as 3M’s Command Adhesive hooks work well for mounting bulletin boards, banners, etc., and are non-marring and easily removable. To install posters, pictures, etc., removable adhesive putty is recommended. Please note that while thumbtacks are not prohibited, damage (holes) caused by thumbtacks are not considered to be reasonable and accepted wear and tear and such repairs (labor and materials) will be charged to the resident(s) responsible.
  • While students are permitted and encouraged to decorate their personal space in a way that is reflective of their personality, interests, and self-expression, decorations that may be offensive or obscene may not be displayed in an area that others can see without entering the personal living space of the roommate or neighbor. For instance, materials or images that may be offensive to others should be kept on walls or surfaces within bedrooms rather than being displayed on doors and walls that can be seen in the hallway or in the common living areas of the apartment or suite. Additionally, such materials should not be displayed in windows or on exterior doors or hallway bulletin boards that subject passersby to the images or material. Students should be aware that offensive materials made visible to others may make for an uncomfortable or hostile living environment, and might even constitute harassment. Ultimately, Student Housing staff may remove such materials that are readily visible to others, or ask residents to do so.
  • Residents are expected to keep decorations portraying drug and alcohol use or advertisements from being visible outside their unit. This means that beer and alcohol merchandising material, as well as posters depicting marijuana or any such related materials, should not be displayed in windows or on exterior doors or walls. Likewise, alcohol bottles are not to be used as decorations, displayed in window sills or atop refrigerators and shelves. Empty bottles should be recycled and removed from the apartment in a timely fashion after the alcohol has been consumed. Residents under the age of 21 found to have alcohol bottles in their suites or apartments, even if the items are displayed only as decoration, will be disciplined for an alcohol offense, as possession of empty containers still violates the Alcohol Policy. See Alcohol Policy.
  • Window decorations cannot cover more than 10% of the window and must be in compliance with existing Porches and Facility Exteriors and the Campus Posting Policy.  Exterior facing decorations are considered part of the facility exterior as this is visible to the public. 

Room Modification

Residents may not structurally alter their rental units in any way. Cosmetic alterations should consist entirely of approved decorations as permitted in the preceding section of this handbook. Students may not paint the walls or cabinetry, hang wallpaper or decorative borders, or remove or change fixtures such as overhead lights or appliances. Students may not construct walls or partitions within the unit. Bolts and hooks may not be used to secure personal furnishings to walls, floors, or ceilings.

Disability Services

The Housing community is welcome and inclusive for students who experience a disability. Student Housing offers units specifically designed for ADA accessibility, which may include, but are not limited to, barrier free furniture, shower benches, fire horns and strobe lights. 

Approved service or assistance animals for persons with disabilities are welcome in the Housing community. Verification for the need of a service or assistance animal must be provided by the resident to UAS Disability Services, located on the first floor of Mourant Building, and a meeting to review responsible owner expectations with a Student Housing professional staff member must be completed prior to the animal entering Housing.  For more information, visit the Disability Services' website or call them at (907)-796-6000.

Early Move-in and Late Departure Requests
Early arrivals and late departures outside of the contract dates of the Housing Agreement are not encouraged. However, situations may arise in which such requests are warranted, including restricted travel availability from remote areas, UAS coursework that extends outside of the established contract dates, commencement ceremonies, etc.  Only extenuating circumstances will be authorized for extended stay, and such requests are made via designated request form. Residents are encouraged to contact a Housing Desk location immediately regarding these needs – (907) 796-6443 or Email: Additional fees will apply. Residents arriving before the move-in dates or staying past the move-out dates, which are clearly stated in the Housing Agreement –will be subject to a $75 per night fee. Business operations prior to and upon completion of each semester are such that unnecessary extended stay requests are a hindrance to administrative processes, unit inspections, and maintenance schedules.
Elevator Safety
An elevator has been provided for use within Banfield Hall and the John Pugh Residence Hall. Anyone found tampering with or vandalizing this elevator may be subject to restitution and conduct action. Misuse or abuse of the elevator is also prohibited. Only authorized personnel are allowed in the elevator shaft. If personal items are dropped into the shaft or misuse results in repairs, the resident(s) responsible may be billed for their retrieval or repair costs.
Eviction and Notice-to-Quit

In instances when Student Housing has terminated a resident’s Housing Agreement, whether for conduct infractions or policy violations, non-payment, health and safety issues, or other reasons, the resident will be notified by the Director of Housing & Residence Life in writing in the form of an eviction letter, also called a Notice-to-Quit.

Appeal Process

Any eviction appeals must be addressed in writing prior to the eviction deadline. A pending appeal response does not entitle the evicted student an extension on their vacate deadline.

Effect on Future Housing Eligibility

Residents who cooperate and meet their eviction deadline without incident may reapply for student housing in future semesters, but are not guaranteed acceptance.

Eviction Notice Term

The University needs only to provide a 10 day notice of an eviction deadline.

Legal Implications

If a resident does not respond properly to the issued eviction notice, Student Housing will retain legal representation and apply to the legal system for a writ of assistance in removal of the resident. All legal fees and court costs will be charged to the resident if the matter is brought to court.

Fire Safety and Alarms

Prompt and complete evacuation of residential campus buildings and facilities is mandatory when a fire alarm is sounded or when so directed by a University official, which includes Resident Advisors (RA’s).

Resident/Guest Required Evacuation During Alarm

Residents and guests are expected to depart the building quickly and to stand outside no less than 100 yards from the building just evacuated. Residents should treat all alarms as a real safety threat and evacuate the building. Only a University official or Juneau Fire Department may issue the “all clear” command, allowing re-entry to the building.

Failure to Evacuate or Failure to Comply with Staff Directive During an Alarm

Individuals who fail to comply with the evacuation provision will be subject to conduct action and a $250 fine.

Fire Alarm System

Housing has a heat and smoke sensitive fire alarm system that is maintained regularly. For safety sake, the good news is that this new system is highly sensitive and on-guard. The bad news is that it is so sensitive that caution should be used to avoid unnecessary alarms. See the tips below.

Avoiding Accidental Alarms

This system is extremely sensitive, so it is imperative to use cautionary measures to avoid unnecessary alarms.


When cooking, use the exhaust hood over the oven/stove range to redirect smoke up and out of the exhaust.

Heat and Smoke Sensors

Tampering with the sensors, including removing the sensor or covering the sensor, may set off trouble alarms, which will notify Student Housing staff of the location of the compromised sensor. Heat-emitting appliances, such as hair dryers, have been known to set off trouble alarms when a blast of hot air hits the sensor. Additionally, sensor “oxygen deprivation” from having been covered with plastic, thus restricting air flow (i.e. by someone smoking in the unit), has also been cause for triggering alarms.

Fire Sprinkler Systems

Residence Halls and the Housing Lodge maintain sprinkler systems that are sensitive to both heat and pressure. Residents should not tamper with sprinkler heads or hang items from these fixtures. If the sprinkler system is engaged, it would likely cause a minimum of $10,000 in damages with its initial burst before it could be stopped. Damage to these systems caused by a resident, both intentional and/or through negligence, may result in costs being assessed to resident responsible.

Fire Safety Guidelines

To comply with local and state codes and to observe prudent safety precautions, Student Housing will enforce the following fire safety regulations:

  • See the Appliances and Equipment section for a list of approved electrical items.
  • Open flames, including candles, incense, kerosene lamps or stoves, and other similar items are not permitted in any unit. Jar candles may be placed on electric candle warmers, though residents are reminded not to leave the warmer unattended or plugged in for extended periods.
  • No flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, propane, or similar substances may be stored in any unit. Turpentine, kerosene, paint thinner, and similar flammable substances used for camping or art classes may be stored in storage rooms or bathrooms in small quantities, no more than one half-gallon. These should not be stored near heaters or any heat-producing appliances, nor should they be kept in a fashion where they might tip or spill. Additionally, such substances can only be stored in the approved containers in which they were sold. Any flammable substances found in student housing that violate this policy will be confiscated and conduct action will be taken against those responsible for storing such substances.
  • Smoke detectors are not to be covered or blocked.
  • Tampering with the wiring or components of the fire alarm system is not permitted. Fire extinguishers are not to be removed from their proper locations, including the wall-mounted extinguishers in apartments, or to be discharged except in the event of a fire emergency. There is a $100 fine and conduct action for tampering with fire safety equipment, including smoke and heat detectors, pull-boxes, alarms and sirens, sprinkler heads, extinguishers, or fire panels.
  • Fire doors and any other doors with closing mechanisms are to be kept closed at all times except in the event of fire emergency. Fire exits, including foyers at each end of residence hall corridors, may not be blocked with any furniture or objects. They must remain clean and empty at all times.
  • Only university wiring is allowed in residence hall rooms and apartments, and only a reasonable number of standard U.L. approved extension cords may be used. Students should take caution not to overload extension cords and circuits with too many large appliances; televisions, stereos, microwaves, freezers, and other such appliances should be given their own extension cord or be plugged directly into the wall electrical outlet. All approved heat-producing appliances such as hair dryers, coffee pots, popcorn poppers and irons must be plugged directly into wall outlets and unplugged when not in use.
  • Extension cords must be exposed at all times; they may not be placed under carpets or other furnishings.
  • Flammable holiday decorations such as real Christmas trees, wreaths or garland made from spruce boughs, and untreated bunting are not permitted in Student Housing units.
  • No partitions or wall-like structures are to be installed in housing units by students.
  • Nothing is allowed to block, even partially, any means of egress, including doorways and windows. Furniture placed in front of windows must not be higher than will allow for access to the window sill and for individuals to easily climb over the furniture to escape through the window.
  • Safety signs and markings are not to be tampered with or defaced.
  • Scarves and fabric may not be placed over lamps or paper lanterns. Homemade lamps may be subject to approval or confiscation by Student Housing staff if they pose a high fire risk. See Appliances and Equipment about the halogen lamp policy.
  • Furniture must not rest against rooms with radiator heaters. Wooden furniture such as desks or dressers should be kept at least 4 inches from these heaters. Plush furniture, draperies, bedding, books, paper items, and other more flammable objects and furnishings should be kept 6 inches from heaters. Residents should also realize that roomheaters are most effective at circulating heat when there are not furnishings in front of them obstructing proper air flow.
  • Posters, artwork, photos, and other flammable paper decorations should cover no more than one third of a room’s total wall space.


The possession of fireworks, firecrackers, or other incendiary devices are prohibited. Anyone found detonating fireworks of any type on campus will be subject to a $100 fine and conduct action, which may include notification of local law enforcement agencies for applicable violations of the law.

First Aid Kit and AED Device
A first aid kit and an automatic electronic defibrillator (AED) are located at the Housing Lodge and in John Pugh Hall. Residents are encouraged to ask for assistance whenever a potential medical or wellness concern exists and to report accidents and injuries that occur within Student Housing. All Student Housing professional staff and Resident Advisors (RA’s) maintain current First Aid/CPR certification for adults.

Furniture located in units may be moved within the suite or apartment in which it is located so long as no damage results from its movement and the furniture is being used according to its intended purpose. Furniture designed for and initially placed into bedrooms can be moved within that assigned bedroom space, but not elsewhere within the suite or apartment. Residents will be fully accountable for the condition of the room and furnishings within their room during their period of occupancy.

Personal Furnishings

Residents may bring in additional furnishings so long as items are removed upon departure. At no time should common area furnishings be taken into resident units. Examples of this might include residence hall common area furniture being pulled into a suite or apartment living area furnishings, meant for all residents use, being moved to one resident’s bedroom.

Resident Communal Responsibility

All residents of a unit are responsible for the condition of common area furnishings, including carpet, vinyl flooring, walls, cabinets, and doors. At checkout, in situations where individual responsibility for damages cannot be determined, repair and/or replacement charges may be split amongst all residents.

GPA Policy
Student academic success is one of the primary goals of Housing and Residence Life at the University of Alaska Southeast. Students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above to reside in Student Housing. If GPA drops below a cumulative GPA of 2.0, the privilege to live in Student Housing may be revoked. If you wish to appeal this process and live in Student Housing, you must provide a written appeal. In determining whether to allow a continuation of the Student Housing contract, the Director of Housing & Residence Life will consider any special circumstances or unique hardships that led to the academic difficulty and make a recommendation for 1) a continuation of the Housing Contract with completion of a prescribed Academic Action Plan or 2) termination of the housing contract based on unsatisfactory academic progress. The Director will consider your need and desire to remain in Student Housing, the potential impact on other members of the Student Housing community, and the academic action plan proposed. If the Director grants permission for the student to live in Student Housing while holding a cumulative GPA below 2.0, the Director has the right to require a directed action plan designed to require utilization of campus services and attendance in classes, and assign a member of the Residence Life team to monitor progress. If, after the appeal to live in Student Housing while holding a cumulative GPA below 2.0 has been approved, the requirements set in the academic action plan are not being met, the Director may immediately revoke the privilege to remain in Student Housing, ending the Housing contract based on unsatisfactory academic progress. If you fail to raise your GPA above a 2.0 or show significant improvement in GPA by the end of the semester in which you take part in the directed action plan, you will not be approved to live in Student Housing until cumulative GPA is above 2.0.
Apartment residents may use personal grills outside of their unit provided they abide the following safety guidelines. Charcoal grills, smokers, or any gasoline or liquefied petroleum gas-fired stove or similar device should be used safely - no less than 15 feet from any structure, including roof overhangs. Electric grills are exempt from this distance requirement; however, please note that smoke allowed to enter into the unit from the porch area may set off the fire sensors in the entry areas.
Guest and Visitation Policies

Residents are welcome to invite visitors and guests to Student Housing. All visitors must be accompanied by a resident while they are present in the Housing community. Guests or visitors may not loiter in Student Housing unattended and will be asked to leave. Guests or visitors will be asked to leave Student Housing if they do not have a host and are not allowed to loiter in any area unattended.

Residents hosting these guests or visitors are personally responsible for their actions. As such, guests and visitors are expected to abide by all University regulations and departmental guidelines and may be asked to leave Housing if they violate any of these standards. A guest without a host will be considered an ‘unauthorized guest’ and be asked to leave.

Residents may not have guests under the age of 16 in Student Housing unless that host is a family member.

Overnight Guests

Any guest who is present in Student Housing between the hours of 10PM-8AM is considered to be an overnight guest. Overnight guests may not remain in Student Housing for two or more nights in succession without being registered as a guest with Housing Desk locations or with the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD).

Guest Sleeping Quarters

Overnight guests are expected to stay in their host’s bedroom, so as not to limit use of the common areas by the other roommates.

Overnight Guest Continuous Chaperoning by Host

Like any guest on premises, it is expected that the hosting resident accompany their guest at all times while they are in Student Housing.

Limitations of Overnight Guests

An individual may not be an overnight guest for more than a total of 10 nights within an academic semester, regardless of who the guest’s host may be.

Residents may not have overnight guests under the age of 16 in Student Housing unless that host is a family member.

Long-term Unregistered Guests

Long-term guests that have not been registered appropriately or who have stayed beyond the limits established for overnight guests will be considered “squatters” or unauthorized tenants. Resident hosts in violation of the guest or overnight guest policies may lose their privilege to host guests and, in the case of “squatters”, have their housing agreement terminated.

Current Residents as Guests

Current UAS housing residents are also subject to the 10 nights per semester limit for staying overnight in other units, as well as all the guidelines for being an overnight guest within a unit that is not their own, including the requirement for registration that demonstrates roommate approval.

Roommates Rights Regarding Guests

If at any time a roommate is uncomfortable with a guest staying in their unit or if they wish to terminate the guest registration of another roommate’s guest, the Student Housing staff will operate in favor of the resident(s) – not the guest or the guest’s host. Therefore, it is in the best interest of both the host and guest to be considerate of the burden extended visitation places on all parties and to work cooperatively with the other residents within the unit to establish guidelines and expectations during the stay.

Guest behavior in common areas including at events and programs is expected to be courteous, respectful, and adhere to Housing policies. If a guest’s behavior in shared spaces creates discomfort among residents, guests may be asked to leave with assistance from Student Housing staff.

Residence Hall Secured Access

The John Pugh Hall and Banfield Hall are locked-entrance facilities accessible only to residents of those buildings via their Student ID. Residents are not to prop entrance doors open or allow access for non-resident individuals that are not their hosted guest.


Recognizing that the physical and psychological well-being of members of the UAS residential community need to be safeguarded and that interference with any person’s academic pursuits needs to be avoided, UAS prohibits any hazing of an individual in any activities pursued by any university organization, campus group, or individual.

Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created, whether on or off university premises, which produces mental, emotional or physical discomfort, harassment or ridicule, or which prohibits persons from meeting academic or other personal obligations to the best of their abilities.

Health and Safety Inspections

To encourage residents to become engaged in maintaining the condition of their living environments, to promote a better understanding of the expectations Student Housing has for residents, and to assist Student Housing in properly maintaining the condition of residential units, Student Housing conducts Health and Safety Inspections during each semester.

These inspections will be posted in advance of entrance by Student Housing staff and residents will be provided with additional information about the inspection process and a checklist of things they should do to prepare for the unit inspection.

It is okay for the unit to look “lived in”, but it is expected that residents maintain their units in a clean manner and to ensure that no health or safety concerns exist. Staff will be doing a quick visual check of the units that should only take an approximation of 15-20 minutes per unit. Residents are not expected to be present at the inspection but are welcome to do so and will be given approximate times of Student Housing staff inspections.


Each resident is assigned a unit key and a mailbox key upon arrival and are expected to be responsible for any keys issued to them. Residents should report lost or misplaced keys as soon as possible.

Lost or misplaced keys must be reported to a Housing Desk location and can be replaced by filling out the Lost Key Form.

Replacement charges, which often include not only cutting of a new key but of re-coring all locks in an apartment or suite that the lost key can access, are listed below:

Single (Abloy) Door Key$150.00
Mailbox Key$25.00
Temporary Swipe Access Card$10.00
Staff-issued Lodge Door Key$250.00

Keys and key cards are the property of the UAS; duplication and unauthorized possession of University keys are prohibited. Additionally, only authorized lock hardware may be installed on University property. All others will be removed.

Students in possession of unauthorized keys will be subject to conduct action. Fines for possession of unauthorized keys or failure to turn in keys at the end of one’s residency term will be applied to the student account.

Kitchen Communal Use in Residence Halls
Our Residence Hall kitchens are available for resident use only. Residents should clean up after themselves immediately as these kitchens are shared with 80 to 120 other residents. The Student Housing custodial staff will not clean up personal messes in this area. Staff reserves the right to restrict access to the kitchen when lack of cleaning becomes a continual, persistent problem. Cleaning up one’s own mess quickly to allow others access is a communal living obligation.
Illegal Substances and Marijuana
The possession, use or sale of drugs and narcotics, including marijuana, as specified by the State of Alaska and federal laws and regulations, is not allowed on campus, including Student Housing. Any resident(s) involved in such actions will be subject to the conduct process and considered for major sanctions to include, but not limited to, eviction.
Laundry Rooms

Laundry rooms are located on the ground-level floor of the Housing Lodge, on the first floor of Banfield Hall, and on the second floor of John Pugh Hall. NOTE: Only Residence Hall residents will have access to Residence Hall laundry facilities.

The Automated Laundry System

The automated laundry system operates off UAS ID Swipe Cards only – not cash, coin, or credit card. See laundry room postings regarding current costs and timing of wash and dry cycles. Residents may add funds to the Whalebucks balance on their UAS Student ID at the Housing Lodge or John Pugh Hall via two methods:

  • For cash loading – use the WALDO machine located in the Housing Lodge and John Pugh Hall.
  • For debit or credit card loading – see Housing Desk locations during business hours.

Residents can also add funds to their ID cards at UAS Student Accounts on campus at Novatney Building.

Laundry Room Use

Residents are discouraged from leaving their personal items unattended during the laundry cycle. Student Housing is not responsible for items lost, stolen, or damaged during the laundry process, and residents are discouraged from leaving their items unattended. Additionally, security cameras are constantly recording in the laundry rooms. Items left in the laundry rooms should be reported to Residence Life Staff for removal.

Residents may call the Resident Advisor On-Duty or stop by a Housing Desk location for assistance when locked out of their own bedroom, suite or apartment. Resident lockouts requiring assistance between the hours of 7AM and midnight will incur $5 fee per occurrence. Lockouts between the hours of midnight and 7AM will incur a $10 fee per occurrence. Residents are responsible for keeping up with their own keys. Occasionally, after repeated lockouts, residents may be referred to meet with the Student Housing professional staff to discuss the nature of such reoccurrences. Additionally, residents should report lost keys immediately.
Lost and Found

For items lost within the Housing community, contact our desk locations in the Housing Lodge or in John Pugh Hall. Found items should be taken to a Housing Desk location. Personal items left in the laundry rooms for more than 24 hours will be removed by staff, bagged and tagged, and placed in the maintenance storage area. Residents may inquire about these items at the Housing desk locations. Items left in the laundry rooms or common areas are not considered to be “fair game” or giveaways for other residents.

Abandoned Property

Any personal items left in a unit after a resident moves out will be considered abandoned and held for up to 15 days. Cleaning and labor charges associated with moving and storing these items will be applied to resident accounts. These abandoned items will be disposed of after the 15 day hold period if no other arrangements are made by the departed resident in agreement with Housing.


Housing residents will be assigned a mailbox. Mail is sorted by the mail clerk by 5PM daily, barring any unforeseen delays with delivery.

Mailbox Access

Each resident will be assigned their mailbox number and given a key during the check-in process. Mail keys will be replaced if lost for a $25 fee. Once the lost key is reported, as a courtesy, staff will assist residents with getting mail until the lock has been replaced and a new key has been issued to the residents. Desk staff is not permitted to give out student mail otherwise as it is the responsibility of residents to use the key provided.

Packages/Certified Mail Pick-Up

Package slips are placed in mailboxes to notify residents when they have a package to be picked up. Residents will be asked to present the package slip and sign the mail log to claim packages. Packages and any other mail items requiring signatures upon delivery are listed in the Package Log upon receipt. Residents will sign this log to show evidence that they have picked up the item. This service is provided at Housing desk locations during regularly scheduled desk hours only – not outside of desk hours.

Package Pickup

Packages are available for pick-up ONLY when the slip has been placed in the mailbox. The volume of packages received demands that strict protocol is followed to ensure accurate recordkeeping and delivery. While we understand that package tracking may state that an item has been delivered to the Lodge, it does not mean that the item has been logged and is ready for distribution.

Outgoing Mail

Mail with standard postage can be placed in the outgoing mail slot located in the entryway of the Lodge or at the John Pugh Residence Hall desk. Student Housing does not have the ability to figure postage for packages; therefore, residents will be directed to the nearest USPS location at Auke Bay.

Mail Forwarding

Student Housing will forward resident mail for up to 30 days after move-out. Pre-sorted standard stamped mail, magazines, non-profit mailings, and other advertisements will not be forwarded.

It is up to the resident to submit a change of address to their subscription providers.

We also recommend using the US Postal Service (USPS) Change of Address option to notify the USPS of your new address. That online form can be found at the following link:

Maintenance and Work Orders

The Residential Maintenance Coordinator (RMC) liaises with UAS Facilities Services to ensure that all maintenance needs and repairs are attended to. The extent of self-performed repairs by residents should be limited to changing incandescent light bulbs, which can be obtained from the Housing Lodge Desk at no cost. For other maintenance issues, including burnt out fluorescent bulbs, non-working appliances, damages to furnishings, plumbing problems, or electrical issues, a work order must be submitted. Water damage, leaks from the heaters, non-functioning desk drawers and such should be reported before the issue grows worse and causes more damage.

Work Orders

Work orders should be submitted in a timely fashion at the Housing Lodge Desk on an official Work Order Form. Residents should fill out work order forms completely, including as much detail as possible about the problem. The more descriptive explanations greatly assist the RMC and allow for more efficient work. A signature at the bottom of the work order authorizes staff to enter the suite or apartment to address resident requests. The RMC prioritizes work orders in order of their urgency. For instance, safety and health risks will be handled before cosmetic improvements are made. Residents should note that much of the cosmetic improvements are scheduled during winter and summer breaks so that more intrusive projects are not impeded by, or disruptive towards, the presence of residents. Residents are encouraged to submit work orders for maintenance needs that they identify outside of their suite/apartment as well, or refer the issue to a Resident Advisor (RA). Malfunctioning washer/dryer, damaged lounge furniture, and burnt out lights on the pathways are good examples.

After-Hours Maintenance Requests

Residents should know that the RMC typically processes work orders between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm Monday through Friday. For urgent maintenance needs that occur later in the evenings or on weekends, the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) should be notified of the problem. Examples of valid weekend maintenance issues to be referred immediately to on-call professional staff might include malfunctioning ovens and refrigerators, plumbing problems, loss of building heat or hot water, and safety concerns. Student Housing staff will provide a temporary solution outside of regular business hours if a permanent fix cannot be properly facilitated at these times.

Common Problem: The Overflowing Toilet

Overflowing toilets are a common enough issue that each unit bathroom comes with its own plunger, and in most cases, residents should be able to stop or correct this problem. (If the unit does not have a plunger, submit a request to receive one on a work order form.) Nonetheless, overflowing toilets that cannot be stopped are great example of an urgent maintenance concern that should be reported immediately due to the water damage that may be caused. If a toilet is continuously flushing and overflowing, residents should quickly reach under the toilet against the wall and shut off the water valves to prevent water damage and additional mess. Residents should first use a plunger to unclog a toilet. If the problem persists, a staff member should be notified.


As tenants, residents are responsible for notification of needed repairs and damages in their assigned unit. Failure to report repairs or damage that results in a problem or issue continuing and causing further damage (ex: water leaks) may result in the assigned resident(s) being charged for repair costs that result from neglect.

Meal Plans
All residents must purchase a meal plan for the academic year. Meal plans start on the day of housing move-in and end on day of housing move-out. The meal plan cost is non-refundable, nontransferable, and the remaining balance, if any, expires at the end of each semester. Meal plan appeals can be submitted for review within the first two weeks of school, along with documentation supported by a medical doctor or physician. Contact Student Housing for more information regarding the meal plan or the appeal process – (907) 796-6220.
Move-Out Process

As stated in the Housing Agreement, it is required that residents personally check-out of their room or apartment with Student Housing staff upon departure. Residents must leave their room or apartment, including all equipment, furniture and fixtures, in as clean and in as good an order and condition as when they moved in, normal wear and tear accepted.

Terms Explained

Move-out is what the resident does, physically removing self and property from unit. Checkout is the process by which the resident and Student Housing staff meet together to walk-through the unit and complete necessary forms. Closeout encompasses the larger process, which includes consolidating the checkout forms and room condition forms to assist with maintenance staff inspections of the units for the purposes of damage/repair and cleaning assessments, clearing or charging student accounts, and releasing of security deposit for refund, if anything remains after closeout charges are added.

Checkout Requirement

A formal checkout is required, as is scheduling this checkout at least 24 hours in advance. Failure to perform a checkout with staff walk-through, failure to provide adequate advanced notice, or to show up for a scheduled checkout appointment will result in a $50 improper checkout fee.

Guide to Moving Out

Below are some expectations regarding unit cleanliness and communal housekeeping obligations help guide the process. Residents are encouraged to work cooperatively with their roommates/suitemates and to seek the assistance of Student Housing staff is they need support to mediate the delegation of group tasks. Being proactive and not waiting until the last minute to have discussions is very important!

Clear It

  • Remove all personal belongings from unit.
  • Remove any tape, decals or wall hooks from all surfaces.
  • Empty and wipe clean the insides of all drawers, including common areas.
  • Return furniture to its original placement at move-in, including de-lofting Banfield beds, if needed.
  • All closet doors and furniture pieces should be present, as compared to RCF at move-in.

Clean It

  • Coordinate with all roommates to assign tasks to ensure common areas are appropriately cleaned.
  • Sweep, vacuum and mop all floors – in corner, behind and under furniture.
  • Wipe down windows, sills and mirrors, locking windows and closing drapes/blinds.
  • Wipe down all surfaces, handles and inside of drawers.
  • Clean bathrooms – showers/tubs, toilet, sinks, cabinets and drawers.
  • Apartments: Clean kitchens – refrigerator should be emptied completely and cleaned, stove/oven with metal racks and microwave should be cleaned.
  • All cabinets and storage areas should be emptied completely and cleaned, including closets and under stairs storage, where applicable.

Check It Out

  • Residents must schedule a CHECKOUT with a Resident Advisor (RA) at least 24 hours in advance of the desired checkout time. They may visit or call Housing Desk locations to complete this task.
  • At the time of checkout, all personal belongings should be removed from the unit when the CA arrives to complete the checkout.
  • Residents will be asked to complete a CLOSEOUT FORM and to perform a unit walk-through with staff, at which point they will be asked to submit their room and mailbox keys.
  • Residents will not be allowed to remain in the unit after checkout/closeout unless they are the “guest” of a remaining roommate, who must be present to vouch for the departing resident.

Closeout Process

The actual closeout process is not complete until maintenance staff has fully inspected each unit to assess wear and tear and to document any damages or repairs needed. The process, including the reporting and charging, is expected to be completed within 15 business days after proper check-out.

Communal Cleaning Responsibilities

See the Housing Desk locations for additional information and “group cleaning contracts” to help assign these duties to ensure proper cleanliness at checkout. John Pugh Residence Hall and Banfield Hall residents share bedrooms, a bathroom, and an entry way with appliances. Apartment residents share a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, a bathroom, additional storage room(s), closet(s), hallways/stairwells, and a porch with metal grate. Residents of two-bedroom apartments also share bedrooms.

Storing Items for Others

If a residents accepts another resident’s personal items to store for them, that individual accepts full responsibility for those items, including the responsibility to remove or relocate those items, as well as damage or loss of said items. As far as Student Housing is concerned, the individual holding those items is the owner of those items.

No Shows
Residents who fail to check into their unit by midnight after the first day of instruction will be declared a ‘no show’ for that semester. Their room assignment will be cancelled and deposit forfeited, unless the Housing Office has been notified in advance.
Parking Policy

All parking spaces atop University Drive in the housing complex require a parking permit; therefore, each vehicle must be registered and permitted. As a courtesy, residents are eligible to register one vehicle for no additional charge as part of their Housing Agreement.

Parking Registration

Residents are required to register their vehicles with one of the Housing Desk locations. Once registered, the registration and permit is good for the entire academic year – from August to August – provided the individual registering the vehicle continues to be a resident within the Housing community. A permit becomes invalid for use if an individual is no longer a current resident.

Parking Permit

Each resident is eligible to register one vehicle and receive an identifying permit free of charge. Residents are not recommended to have more than one vehicle; however, if extenuating circumstances mandate having an additional vehicle, residents may write an appeal to be submitted to the Housing Lodge Desk (Email: The director/coordinator may request a meeting or the submittal of additional information to make a decision. If an additional registration/permit is granted, the fee is $50.

Permit Placement

The permit decal should be placed in the lower passenger-side corner of the windshield, visible for staff inspection.

Permit Fraud

Individuals found to possess an invalid or stolen permit on their windshield, or residents are found to have given or lent their permit to the driver of an unregistered vehicle will be fined $50 and be subjected to conduct action. Temporary short-term parking permits are available at Housing Desk locations for special circumstances.

Parking Violations

Unregistered vehicles without permit$25
Parked in handicap, service fire zones and areas$100
Parked in restricted or reserved space$50
Prolonged inoperable condition of vehicle$25/day
Parked in non-designated space$50
Vehicle occupying more than one space$25
Resident parked in visitor space$15
Failure to Move Vehicle for Posted Snow Plowing$30

Other Fees

DMV License Plate Research Administrative Fee$10


Street-legal, licensed motorcycles may be registered as the one vehicle per resident. A small parking area has been created for motorcycle use, and it is recommended that owners use that area for parking. Motorcycle use on premises is limited to personal transportation purposes only. Excessive noise from repeated revving of the engine is discouraged as it disturbs other residents. Use of the parking lot and driveways for trick riding, that may be considered “recreational use” of the motorcycle, is prohibited.

Visitor Parking

Designated visitor parking spaces are indicated with posted signs, located in front of the Housing Lodge. Residents may not park in visitor spaces, so that guests have adequate parking space. Any non-registered vehicles that remain in visitor parking for extended periods may be ticketed or towed.

Parking Lot and Driveway Guidelines

In order to provide for the protection of pedestrians, to keep fire lanes clear, and to avoid unnecessary expense for campus maintenance, it is the policy of Student Housing that motor vehicles are not permitted to be operated or parked on campus malls, sidewalks, and lawns. The following vehicles may be operated on campus malls, sidewalks and lawns without special approval by the Facilities Services:

  • Emergency vehicles (police, fire, medical, etc.)
  • Approved vehicles for handicap use
  • Certain maintenance and operating vehicles
  • Snow removal and grass cutting equipment
  • Mail, fuel, and commercial delivery vehicles

Student-owned vehicles may not park up on sidewalks, on the walkways between apartment buildings, or on the access road to the rear of Banfield Hall or John Pugh Hall unless they have gained approval from a staff member to move heavy belongings in or out. Residents may not drive on sidewalks and walkways simply to unload groceries or other such items; the gates will remain open for residents to move in and out of their apartments at the start and end of each semester.

Specially-marked spaces are reserved with posted signs, including Housing vehicle spaces, maintenance vehicle spaces, professional live-in staff spaces, and handicap spaces. Students and their guests may not park along curbs, on grass, or on the street anywhere in the housing complex. Additionally, vehicles may not be parked in front of dumpster sheds or in the areas marked off with diagonal yellow lines. Fines will be assessed to drivers who park inappropriately.

All residents, staff and guests are expected to abide by posted speed limit signs. The parking lot area experiences high pedestrian traffic, so it is very important to proceed slowly through the parking lot area. Also, the flow of traffic in the parking lot veers to the right upon entrance and moves counter-clockwise through the lot. Failure to follow the directional flow of the parking lot is considered a moving violation.

Reserved Spaces for University Staff and Designated ADA/Disabled Parking

Unauthorized vehicles parked in reserved parking spaces may be ticketed and/or towed. The parking violation fee for this type of offense is $50 for staff and service vehicle spots and $100 for ADA/Disabled accessible spots.

Inoperable Vehicles

Student Housing reserves the right to request that residents demonstrate their vehicles are operational by having them start their vehicle and drive it, without mechanical assistance, to be relocated to a different parking spot. Vehicles have to be operational to be registered and parked in the Housing lot. If a vehicle is determined to not be in operational condition, the registrant may face a $25 per day charge until the vehicle is repaired or removed. Residents may work with the Director of Housing & Residence Life to establish a plan of action with deadlines for repairs to be made to avoid unnecessary fines.

Abandoned Vehicles

Vehicles left in the Student Housing complex parking lots located at 4300 University Drive for more than 7 days without being registered to a current Housing resident may be considered “abandoned” and will be towed from the premises. The charged incurred will become the responsibility of the vehicle’s registered owner. For special parking circumstances, see the Housing Desk locations about temporary short-term guest permits.

Vehicle Damage, Loss, or Vandalism

Report all vehicle accidents, losses, or vandalism to the Housing Desk locations or to the Resident Advisor On-Duty. Staff will assist residents with documentation of situations and/or with contacting local law enforcement. The University assumes no liability for loss or damage to vehicles parked on the University campus.

Personal Hygiene and Sanitation

Students who elect to reside in a communal environment, such as the one student housing provides, should be conscious of how their lifestyle, habits, and cleanliness might affect those whom they share living space with. In cases where residents have concerns about the hygiene or sanitation habits of a roommate, the roommate will be addressed by a staff member and informed that his or her personal lifestyle is disturbing others. To maintain a communal environment, action items may be suggested or required of the roommate to remedy the concern.

Suggestions/Guidelines for Personal Hygiene

In essence, residents should realize that maintaining relaxed hygiene or cleanliness standards is often not conducive for living in close spaces with others who do not share the same lifestyle. In the interest of helping to promote healthy habits, personal wellness, and a pleasant living environment for all students in unit, the following hygiene and cleanliness standards should be observed.

  • Shower and wash hair several times per week, or daily.
  • Use antiperspirant and/or deodorant if body odor becomes an issue.
  • Clean clothing, bath towels, and bed linens regularly with laundry detergent.
  • Do not leave soiled laundry sitting in the room.
  • Clean dishes soon after use and remove trash that may contain food or in a reasonable time frame.
  • Vomit, blood, and other bodily fluids or biohazards should be cleaned immediately with a disinfecting cleaning solution.

Authorized pets include fish and aquatic amphibians that are contained in an aquarium that does not exceed 10 gallons. No more than 25 gallons of total aquarium space is allowed in any one unit, regardless of which resident(s) are in possession of aquariums. Residents are not allowed to have any other pets in units at any time. Approved service or assistance animals are not considered pets. For further information on approval of service or assistance animals, please see Disability Services in the Campus Living Guide. 

Unauthorized Pets in Residential Units

Residents found with unauthorized pets inside Housing units will be subject to a $100 fine, which may be assigned to each resident within the unit if no one accepts responsibility for the animal’s presence, as well as possible conduct review. Additional cleaning fees may also apply and the pet will be expected to be removed immediately from the premises. Unauthorized animals or pets may not visit Housing units for even short periods of time.

Porches and Facility Exteriors

To maintain a neat and aesthetic appearance within student housing and to prevent clutter from creating fire code violations and to promote a safe evacuation path, Student Housing limits the amount and type of personal belongings that may be stored on porches, on the grounds, and on facility exteriors. Porch items are limited to planting containers, BBQ grills, all-weather outdoor seating, and seasonal decorations (including miniature light strands). Bicycles, children’s toys, garbage, tires and auto parts, and other such items may not be left on porches, alongside the buildings, in the parking lot, or on the grounds. Additionally, at no time should any of the University-owned interior furnishings, including chairs, be left on porches or on the grounds.

Residents may not alter landscaping or create flowerbeds or gardens outside their apartments or elsewhere on the grounds.

Political campaign materials, messages, and propaganda that may be considered offensive should also not be displayed on the exterior of the buildings or on the grounds.

Private Room Requests

If vacancies occur in double occupancy bedrooms due to the withdrawal, relocation, or no-show of an assigned student, the remaining resident has the following options:

  • Pay the additional single supplement fee necessary to occupy the room for the remainder of the semester as a private room.
  • Request a room placement with someone who currently has no roommate.
  • Allow Student Housing to assign a new resident to the room or agree to move to another room that has only one occupant.
Public Postings and Art in Public Places

Public postings, including art, advertisements, or promotional materials, may not be hung in any common area, public place, or outdoor space without the approval of Student Housing staff. 

Bulletin Boards

A communal posting bulletin board is located in the Housing Lodge close to the stairwell. All postings must be approved by the Housing Desk locations before posting. Bulletin boards are scattered throughout the Housing community and are changed out monthly by Resident Advisors (RAs), per staff approval. Vandalizing these boards may lead to disciplinary action.

Sidewalk Chalking and Window Painting

Individuals or groups wishing to place chalked messages on sidewalks or cement walls, or use window paint on glass areas, must request permission of Student Housing staff. Failure to do so will result in the persons or organization responsible being charged for the cost of removal of the messages and possible judicial action.

Flyers, Etc.

University-related event and student organization flyers must be approved for posting by Student Housing staff. Group leaders or program coordinators may submit their flyers to the Housing Lodge Desk or John Pugh Hall Desk for approval. Postings found elsewhere that have not been approved will be removed and disposed of. Flyers may not be posted on glass doors, where they might cover fire alarms, smoke detectors, etc. Postings that are not University-related are restricted to the designated communal posting board, upon approval.

Additional Information from the UAS Campus Posting Policy 

  • All flyers must include contact information in the form of the host organization's name and/or logo, phone number, contact email, or website link.
  • Posting of religious or local, state, and federal political campaign materials are prohibited, unless event specific.
  • If approved or required to use the UAS Logo on flyers, ensure it is within compliance by reviewing the UAS Brand Identity Guidelines: Marketing and Branding.
  • The event date or expiration date must be included on each flyer. Flyers may only be posted for 2 weeks and must be removed within 2 days following an advertised event.
  • The Campus Life Department reserves the right to remove any posting at any time.
Quiet Hours
Quiet hours are observed and enforced community-wide from 10PM until 8AM each day. Staff patrol the exteriors to enforce Quiet Hours outside on Student Housing grounds and within public areas of the Housing Lodge and Residence Halls. During this time, loud noise from inside a unit should not be audible outside of the unit. Noise levels should not interrupt others choosing to sleep or study. Be aware that sound carries easily between the apartment buildings and parking lots, and especially from the pavilion into the nearby apartments and suites. Residents may call the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) to report noise issues for further investigation.
Courtesy Hours
Courtesy Hours are to be considered, respected and upheld all hours of the day, meaning that common courtesy regarding noise within a communal living environment is expected at all times. Our goal is to maintain a living environment that is conducive to academic success and personal wellbeing. At any point of the day, a resident may request that other residents or guests adjust their volume output to an acceptable level.
Students interested in recycling may make use of our commingled recycling dumpster located in the dumpster shed located near Bear Building apartments or in the John Pugh Hall trash and recycling room located on the 1st Floor. Commingled recycling can accept aluminum, tin, steel, paper, plastics #1 and #2, and cardboard. The commingled recycling dumpster cannot accept glass, though separate bins are available at the end of walkway in the Bear Building dumpster shed location and are labeled for glass.
Renter's Insurance
The University does not assume any responsibility for loss or damage of personal property as a result of theft, vandalism, and/or natural disaster. It is highly recommended that each student have some type of insurance to cover personal belongings while living in the Housing community as rates are reasonably affordable. Residents may be covered on their parent’s homeowner insurance policy or may want to purchase separate insurance, commonly referred to as “renter’s insurance”.
Roof and Other Exterior Elevated Surfaces
The regulations regarding fire safety and use of exterior elevated surfaces of campus buildings are very serious and explicit. Entering surfaces such as roofs, fire escapes, terraces, balconies or ledges above the first floor is strictly prohibited, except in emergencies. Similarly, climbing up the side of the pavilion, balconies, or fire escapes by means other than the intended staircases meant for safe access is prohibited. The University will take disciplinary action on a first offense, possibly including the imposition of a fine.
Room Changes

Students are permitted to change rooms during the course of an academic year, but only after the first two weeks of classes are completed, if alternative space is available.

Administrative-Initiated Room Changes and Consolidation

The University reserves the right to close a residence or reassign residents to another comparable unit when the unit is no longer fully occupied, when premises are unsuitable for residence, or when it is deemed necessary for health, safety, financial, or disciplinary reasons.

Room Change Request Process

Room change requests may be directed to a Housing Desk location and will be forwarded appropriately to staff (Email: Before approval is granted, roommates experiencing conflict are expected to actively engage in formal conflict mediation with a Resident Advisor (RA) and to make a genuine attempt to uphold compromises and agreements for a reasonable period of time.

Room Change Fees

Any unauthorized room change will result in an automatic charge of $100.

Room Condition Forms

For your protection, a Room Condition Form (RCF) is completed for your unit by Student Housing staff just prior to move-in. The form outlines all aspects of your unit, marking its present condition, including common/shared areas. Residents will receive a copy of the RCF upon check-in when receiving their unit key. During the closeout process, at move-out, RCFs are used to determine changes in room condition for the purposes of fee assessment for damages beyond normal wear and tear.

Residents’ Responsibility to Review RCF

Upon receipt of the staff-drafted RCF, each resident assumes the following responsibilities:

  • Review the condition of the resident’s unit upon arrival thoroughly, referencing the RCF.
  • Mark an additional issues – i.e. damages, repair needs, further comments – on the RCF itself.
  • Submit the revised RCF to a Housing Desk location within 72 hours of check-in.
  • Failure to review, revise and resubmit the RCF forms means that the resident accepts the RCF in its original form – a copy of which remains on-file at the Housing Lodge – and accepts responsibility for any missing items or unit damages noted during the closeout process at move-out.
  • When submitted, the revised RCF will place the original RCF on-file as the point of condition comparison at move-out.
Roommate Assignments
Student Housing makes placements using student's reported gender identity.
Roommate Relations

Rooms in residential facilities are assigned to each student for the academic year. A voluntary change in room assignment must be approved by Student Housing staff before any change is made. We reserve the right to make changes in room assignments when the departments deems it is necessary, but will notify the affected students in advance of these changes, whenever possible. Residents are expected to work to communicate with roommates and to establish shared expectations for conduct and chores within the suite or apartment. Conflicts should be addressed and resolved as adults, and assistance in conflict mediation can be requested of any Resident Advisor (RA). In all conflicts, residents and staff should consider the Roommate Bill of Rights.

Roommate Bill of Rights

The basic rights of a roommate include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • The right to read and study free from undue interference in one’s room (unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right).
  • The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests, etc.
  • The right to expect respect for one’s personal belongings.
  • The right to a clean environment in which to live.
  • The right to free access to one’s room and facilities without pressure from a roommate.
  • The right to personal privacy.
  • The right to host guests (with the understanding and permission of the roommate) with the expectation that guest are to respect the rights of the host’s roommate(s), other hall residents, and Residence Life policies.
  • The right to address grievances. Student Housing staff members are available for assistance in settling conflicts.
  • The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm, and racial, sexual or other prejudicial harassment.

Roommate Agreements

Roommate Agreements are great when used proactively, at the beginning of the semester, to establish the needs and expectations of the whole living unit. They are a great conversation piece to incorporate before life become difficult.

UAS Student Housing requires all residents to complete a Roommate Agreement in order to ensure proper communication regarding expectations within shared units. Please meet with your roommate within the first week  of move in to complete your roommate agreement. All residents are expected to approve their roommate agreement, and Student Housing staff will be able to view and suggest changes, if needed.

Student Housing staff will gladly meet with individual units to help work through this process and serve as a neutral mediator for this informal group consensus activity. Student Housing staff will also expect a roommate agreement to be completed prior to reporting minor concerns such as cleanliness and communication challenges. Major health and safety concerns should be reported directly to Student Housing staff.

In some units where residents are experiencing continuous roommate conflict, Student Housing staff may be called in to formally mediate the situation. During this mediation, Student Housing staff will review and revise the existing roommate agreement. Compliance of this revised agreement is required and violations of the formal roommate agreement may lead to disciplinary action.

Roommate Requests
Residents are encouraged to submit Roommate Requests prior to the start of a given semester. Keep in mind that relocation once the school year has commenced is more limited and difficult, so being proactive about roommate requests is vital. Roommate Request Forms are to be completed and signed by all parties involved in the request. For Fall placements, this form should be received before July 1st.
Scooters, Skateboards and Roller-Skates
Non-motorized transportation devices, such as scooters, skateboards and roller-skates, as well as bicycles and unicycles, may use the Housing sidewalks, walkways and campus trails provided they are being used safely for personal transportation use, in a manner that is non-threatening to pedestrian traffic and is not a disturbance/nuisance to the Housing community.
UAS employs professional and paraprofessional student staff members who are well-trained in crisis response and conflict management. Residents are expected to follow the directives from all UAS employees to help ensure a safe and inviting communal environment. Additionally, security cameras are located throughout the housing complex and in residence hall buildings, which are constantly recording. Information gathered from these devices may be submitted for campus conduct investigations as well as  turned over to local law enforcement as appropriate.
Sidewalks, Walkways and Campus Trails
Unauthorized motorized vehicles are prohibited on Housing sidewalks, walkways, and campus trails. Authorized use includes University personnel, law enforcement or Fire Department, and other safety personnel and crisis responders. Temporary authorized access may be granted upon request for those moving into or out of units or for special circumstances, i.e. for moving large items, or for accommodation to assist with accessibility difficulties. Staff will work to make these areas reasonably accessible during these times, provided that this use does not interfere with safety personnel access.
Smoking Policy

All Student Housing property, both external and including enclosed buildings within Student Housing, including Banfield Hall, the Housing Lodge, John Pugh Hall, and the apartments, are smoke and tobacco free. Smoking within the residential units carries a steep penalty in addition to cleaning charges.

  • Tobacco use is prohibited in every Student Housing building, including student residences, as well as in the managed university vehicles. Students found to have been smoking in their unit will be charged a $250 fine and may be assessed a fee to cover professional cleaning costs of the room, shampooing of the carpeting, etc.
  • Vaping and electronic cigarettes (“e-cigs”) are both prohibited in Student Housing units, as well, due to interference with smoke detectors and false positive alarms that can result.
  • Any violations of the above policy may also result in conduct action as Failure to Comply with university directive.
Snow Removal
Periodically through the winter, it is necessary for Facilities Services to plow the housing parking lots. It is imperative for residents to cooperate in moving their vehicles to properly facilitate this process. It is far easier and more efficient to plow the entire length of an empty lot rather than to work around a few vehicles, leaving unplowed spaces. Generally, either the upper lot or the lower lot will be plowed so that vehicles may be moved to the opposite lot. Residents will receive printed notices on every unit with a minimum of 24 hours notice. Residents are expected to make arrangements to move their vehicles some at some point before the posted plow time has been scheduled. In the spring the same process is used to sweep the gravel from the lots that has accumulated over the summer. There is a $25 fine for failure to move a vehicle for a posted plowing.
Solicitation and Other Commercial Activity

Solicitation is prohibited in UAS Student Housing. Solicitation includes the act of seeking by persuasion, plea, or formal application of one’s audience, money, or influence. This may include door-to-door visitations by individuals selling merchandise, sharing religious or political beliefs, or requesting participation in surveys or petitions. This policy helps protects the privacy and security of residents. Report any solicitation in Student Housing immediately to the Student Housing staff or to the CA On-Duty. Solicitation for the benefit of a recognized student club or organization on campus must be approved by Student Housing in advance.

Selling merchandise in Student Housing is prohibited. Residents may not operate a business out of their rented Housing unit. They may not create a display in a common area, receive customers at their door, or approach residents in an attempt to sell their wares. They may not purchase food or other items and sell them at a profit to their neighbors. Residents wishing to sell personal items, such as books, furniture, computers, and vehicles may do so as a one-time sale by advertising these items on the public posting bulletin boards on campus or in the Lodge.

Sound Equipment and Musical Instruments

Stereos are permitted in student rooms, but residents are expected to exercise the utmost consideration in their use. Every resident is responsible for maintaining an atmosphere within the residential environment that is conducive to study and respectful of the needs of others. Stereos, radios, and musical instruments should be played at moderate volume levels.

Drum sets may not be played in Student Housing due to the high degree of noise disturbance they create, even when muffled, but they may be stored in units for off-campus use. Drummers are encouraged to use practice pads separate from the drum set.

Electric amplifiers and keyboards may be used at a reasonable volume and bass level until Quiet Hours. During Quiet Hours, residents may use headphones with these devices.

Non-electric musical instruments such as guitars and wind instruments, etc., may only be played before Quiet Hours at reasonable volumes.

If at any time during the day musicians and those with bass-rich sound systems are asked by neighbors or staff to cease or quiet their playing, they are expected to comply.

Staff Access to Residential Units

The Residence Life Staff respects the privacy of its residents; however, there are situations that may warrant staff entry into units, including maintenance and repair work, as well as reasonable suspicion of behaviors that may be considered violations of the terms of the Housing Agreement.

Right of Staff Re-Entry

UAS Residence Life Staff respects the privacy of its resident yet reserves the right to re-enter and take possession of the accommodations upon breach of the terms of the Housing Agreement. Authorized university staff may enter the rental unit, with notice, during reasonable hours to provide efficient services, repairs, improvements or for general inspection. The Housing Maintenance Coordinator or Facilities Services staff may enter the unit to attend to any work orders that were submitted by one of the residents, granting permission for University personnel to enter the premises for that explicit purpose.

Work Order Completion

The Housing Maintenance Coordinator or Facilities Services staff may enter the unit to attend to any work orders that were submitted by one of the residents, granting permission for University personnel to enter the premises for that explicit purpose.

Unannounced Entry

Authorized Residence Life Staff or Facilities Services personnel may enter the accommodations without notice when necessary for the safety of the student or other occupants of housing units, for the purpose of emergency maintenance services or emergency safety inspections, or when there is reason to believe that the terms and conditions of the Housing Agreement are being violated and the residents are not willingly granting the staff entrance after they have announced themselves and their intention to enter. To protect student privacy, staff shall never enter student residences except for the reasons listed above. 

Room Searches

Any search of a student room or apartment, beyond a minimally intrusive alcohol search conducted by Resident Advisors (RAs) in the presence of the resident(s), will be carried out only with reasonable cause and with explicit authorization of a professional staff member. Should such a search be necessary, an attempt will be made to have the resident present at the time of the search. If the resident is not present, he/she will be informed of the action as soon as possible following the search. Common areas and general space searches may be conducted by Resident Advisors (RAs) with the residents’ assistance in their presence, and any more detailed or invasive searches, especially if the resident of the unit cannot be reached or notified before the search must commence, will be conducted only by Student Housing professional staff designee in the presence of a second staff member. Students who do not cooperate with staff exercising the right of re-entry may be reported to the Juneau Police Department, who will likely respond by conducting a police search or forced entry into the unit.

Staff Entry Process

When entering a unit, either with prior notice given to residents or without (see indication of unannounced entry above), university staff will knock and announce themselves multiple times prior to entering. If not met at the door by the resident(s), staff will continue to announce themselves upon entering the unit. 

Please note that staff may not respond to verbal consent from the resident to "come in" and will likely wait at the door until the resident opens the door. This is done to avoid any miscommunication as it can be very hard to clearly hear a verbal response from behind a closed door. 

Staff Assistance
A Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) is available by phone 24 hours a day in the Housing community – call (907) 209-6539. John Pugh Hall residents may call the Resident Advisor On-Duty at (907)-209-6534. This individual also has access to call an assigned professional staff member, who serves as Administrator-On-Duty (AOD), for additional support. For general questions and assistance, visit a Student Housing desk location or call (907) 796-6443.
There is no personal storage space available for student use outside of their assigned unit.
Summer Break Storage and Parking
Due to the volume of business during summer, residents who are not residents of Housing for the summer may not leave their vehicles in the lot. Vehicles remaining in the lot for summer, which are not registered to a current summer resident, will be towed at the owners’ expense. Additionally, residents wishing to store personal belongings over the summer are encouraged to secure a storage unit through local services. Residents may request to post on the community board or make online postings to find other residents willing to share a storage unit.
Stalking is a form of criminal violence and will be treated as such. Stalking consists of any unwanted behavior, communication, advances, or presence that the victim is subjected to. It may take the form of a tormentor persistently sending messages through social media, following a victim or waiting for him/her outside of buildings and classrooms, or constantly being in the presence of the victim, who has expressed a desire not to be in proximity of the tormentor, among other behaviors. Like in cases of harassment, victims should clearly state their discomfort with the tormentor’s presence and their unwillingness to engage in a relationship or interaction with that person. Continued conscious efforts to be a harassing presence should be reported to Student Housing staff immediately.
Theft and Vandalism

Residents of the UAS Student Housing community are expected to act with consideration for the property of the university and of individual persons. Please see the examples below:

  • Willful or careless misuse, damage or destruction of the property of others or of the university, including the deliberate defacement of materials, buildings, sidewalks, walls, equipment, decorations, trees and landscaping, or furnishings. The penalty for willful or careless damage will ordinarily include charges for replacement or repair plus conduct action.
  • The deliberate setting of unapproved fires, including bonfires, on university property, even where human life is not deliberately endangered.
  • Theft or unauthorized borrowing or conspiracy to commit theft. While the university does not assume responsibility for losses incurred by students which may result from vandalism or theft, it will support actions taken against those persons responsible for such activities whether such action is commenced through the university conduct process and/or by law enforcement.

Personal belongings of students are not covered under the university insurance policy. The institution assumes no responsibility for personal property that is damaged or destroyed by theft, vandalism, fire, smoke, rain, snow, ice, wind, hail or water. Students are encouraged to check with their homeowner’s insurance as to whether their belongings are insured. It is recommended that students provide their own renter’s insurance to protect their belongings in the case of damage or theft. The University of Alaska Southeast is in full compliance with Section 485f of the Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act of the Federal Government and annually makes available statistical information on campus crime.

Student Identification Cards - UAS Whale Card

Residents will need a Whale Card, or UAS student identification card, for building access, laundry system use, and to checkout items at Housing Desk locations.

Where to Get the ID Card

Residents may get their ID cards at UAS Student Accounts, located in the Novatney Building. Each student gets one card at no charge. Damaged cards may be submitted to Student Accounts for a replacement, i.e. magnetic strip quits working, the card gets cracked. Replacements for lost cards will incur a fee.

Residents’ Responsibilities with ID Cards

These ID cards are considered keys and should be treated as such. (See Keys.) Housing residents’ cards provide them with access to areas of Housing that may not be accessible to every resident or to other UAS non-resident students. These ID cards also allow users to load money to the Whalebucks account assigned to the card. Residents are not allowed to let others use their ID cards and should report lost or stolen cards as soon as possible to protect the security of the Housing community, as well as to protect the funds they have loaded onto the card.

Telephone Service and Access
Phones for public use, which allow for local dialing, are located throughout the Housing community. Each residential unit is wired for phone service; however, this service is not provided by the University. Residents interested in establishing their own phone service may call contact GCI Statewide at (800) 800-4800 for information about residential services.
Fuel oil for heating is the most expensive utility cost for the Housing community. Furniture should be placed 6-12 inches away from radiators (present in Banfield Hall and apartment units) to allow for heat circulation within the unit. Residents are asked to refrain from leaving windows open during the winter months as it makes temperature regulation difficult for the system and may cause pipes to freeze. Residents experiencing difficulties maintaining a comfortable room temperature should submit a work order at Housing Desk locations. Student Housing staff can assist with these issues and offer other tips for maintaining unit temperature.
Trash Removal
Residents must deposit trash into the designated dumpster areas. For Banfield Hall and apartment residents, there is one located near Bear Building and the other located near Eagle Building. For John Pugh Hall residents, it is located on the first floor across from the Housing Desk location. Doors on these dumpsters should be securely shut and latched after use. At no time should trash be left outside unattended, whether on porches, outside of dumpsters, or other areas, as it will attract wildlife, including bears and ravens. The dumpster near Bear Building also houses our single-stream recycling dumpster.
TV in the Housing Lodge
A television room with cable access and DVR is available to residents at the Housing Lodge. Each TV room has a sign-up board allowing residents to reserve usage of the TV for up to 2 hours at a time. Personal electronics, i.e. DVD/Blu-Ray players and gaming consoles, are not permitted to be connected to these TVs.
Unauthorized Persons and Unlawful Entry
Persons found to be in a Student Housing residential unit, faculty/staff offices, or campus buildings without authorization or permission will be subject to conduct response.
Unauthorized Guests and Tenants

The university must know who physically resides on campus at all times for security and emergency response purposes. If a resident vacates mid-semester, Housing staff should be notified immediately. Each suite or apartment is only approved for four residents. Unregistered guests or those guests staying more than 10 nights per semester will not be permitted to be present in student housing.


Squatters will be considered any non-paying individual who has taken up residence in a student housing unit or on the premises, including in tents or outdoor shelters. Apartment storage rooms may not be used as bedrooms, and residents should not consider vacant beds in their unit as an invitation to provide a friend with a place to sleep. Squatters will be served notice of criminal trespass, and their hosts may have their housing agreements terminated. Any guests who have exceeded the number of allowed nights per semester (10 nights) will be considered an unauthorized guest and squatter. 


Subletting is considered an arrangement between a student resident and a third party, in which the resident leases out their unit (already leased from the university). Subletting is not permitted. Any resident found to be subletting will have their contract agreement terminated.

Vending Machines
Vending machines are located in the Housing Lodge laundry room and in the John Pugh Hall laundry room. These machines are operated in agreement between Student Government and a local distributor. Student Housing is not responsible for maintaining these machines or providing refunds associated with these machines.
Visitor Parking
Several parking spots, closer to the Housing Lodge, have been designated for visitor parking by use of a sign in front of each respective parking space. Residents are not allowed use these visitor parking spaces, while visitors should be directed to park in these areas.
Weapons Policy and Secured Storage Information

Regents' Policy and University Regulation 02.09.020 permit transportation of firearms or weapons to university approved activities or secure central storage provided by the University. Otherwise, loaded or unloaded firearms or weapons, including concealed weapons for which the carrier has a permit, may not be carried or stored on University property or in University buildings without the prior written permission of the chancellor or chancellor's designee. Possession of firearms within motor vehicles and storage of firearms within the individual’s legally parked and locked motor vehicle is allowed on campus. Weapons are not allowed in residential units under any circumstances. Certain items, regardless of owner definition, are considered to be weapons by the University, including paintball guns, air soft guns, and BB or pellet guns. When in doubt, residents should ask Student Housing professional staff prior to bringing any item onto campus.

UAS Weapons Secured Storage

UAS Student Housing recognizes the interest of residents who are hunters and/or recreational target shooters and provides guidelines by which residents can register and secure their firearms and weapons on-site through our established security process.

“Firearms” or “weapons” that must be handled in accordance with the above policy include:

  • Firearms
  • Paintball guns, air guns, pellet guns, BB guns
  • Ammunition
  • Knives and blades longer than 2.5 inches that were not designed for kitchen use
  • Martial arts weapons and swords
  • Bows, crossbows, and similar hunting implements
  • Other objects commonly understood to be designed as hunting equipment

Fireworks, incendiary devices, explosives, tranquilizer guns, and tasers or stun guns not be brought to campus under any circumstances. Disciplinary action will be taken against any student found to be in violation of this rule, up to and including probationary status, removal from housing, expulsion from the university, or legal action through coordination with local law enforcement.

Weapons Storage Guidelines

Only approved weapons and ammunition may be secured in weapons lockers in the Housing Lodge. Any weapon not listed above must be approved by the Director for storage before it is brought to campus. Only a limited number of weapons lockers are available and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Incoming residents are strongly encouraged to call the Housing Lodge Desk prior to arriving on campus to reserve a locker.

A weapons registration form and agreement must be completed and submitted to the Housing Lodge Desk as soon as the student arrives on campus with an approved weapon. The weapon must immediately be brought to secured weapons storage so that it does not stay in student possession, other than in a locked and secured vehicle, for any period of time. Students who are assigned a weapons locker must provide their own key-operated padlock. Combination locks or small padlocks are not acceptable. The Housing Lodge Desk frequently has extra locks to sell for $5 each.

Each locker is equipped with two padlock hatches; one lock is provided by the student and the other is provided by the University. This system requires both parties to be present to open the locker so that neither can access it on his or her own. Students are limited in the number or type of approved weapons they may keep in lockers only by the size of the locker. Empty gun cases that do not fit into lockers may be stored in the same storage room. Lockers may not be shared by more than one resident except by household members of the same family contract.

Weapons Checkout

Residents can gain access to their weapons locker by requesting a weapons checkout appointment at the Housing Lodge Desk. Access is not guaranteed with less than 24-hours notice. Residents wishing to check out their weapon in the early hours or late hours should arrange an appointment in advance, as staff may not be available to respond. Note: Only the weapon owner can gain access to the locker.

When a weapon is checked-out, a checkout form must be completed, listing which weapons have been removed. The resident must estimate a time when he or she plans to return to campus with the weapon. Once a weapon is checked out, it must be removed from campus in compliance with policy and regulation. Likewise upon return to campus, the weapon must be checked-in immediately.

Cleaning Firearms

Students may make an appointment in advance to clean their firearms. A safe, discrete location will be provided with a professional staff member on-hand for supervision. The student will be required to show that the weapon is empty of any ammunition and that they are not in possession of any ammunition.

Permanent Removal of Weapon and Abandoned Weapons

If a weapon will be removed from campus permanently, the weapons agreement must be formally terminated. Unclaimed weapons left in lockers after the student has checked out of housing will be secured and disposed of appropriately. Weapons found in unauthorized locations on campus will be secured pending conduct proceedings.

Additional Notes

  • Weapons must be registered with the department before they will be accepted into storage. All weapons must be approved by the Director of Housing & Residence Life before being stored in Housing, approved weapons must be stored immediately in the secured weapons facility within a weapons locker, and the resident must provide his or her own key‐operated padlock.
  • Residents are allowed to store no more than five (5) total firearms or other weapons in storage lockers.
  • AR-style weapons are not considered appropriate firearms to be stored in University secured storage for the purpose of hunting and/or recreational target shooting.
  • Weapons checkout request forms must be completed and submitted to the Housing Lodge Desk no less than 24 hours prior to the requested checkout time. The Lodge Desk will then take the form and arrange a checkout with a professional staff member. Students will be guaranteed access only with a checkout appointment scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
  • The agreement is revocable at any time at the discretion of Student Housing professional staff or higher level administrator; due process and written notice will be provided.
  • A staff member of the department reserves the right to deny access to residents deemed unfit to manage their weapon, such as in states of inebriation or agitation. The University also reserves the right to turn over weapons to the police in following situations: if they are abandoned, if the agreement has been violated, or if the resident has had significant conduct issues which have been addressed through the conduct process.
  • The University accepts no responsibility of the owner, and accommodation for weapons upkeep is outlined in the above policy. Residents store weapons in campus storage at their own risk. Damages or losses caused by water, fire, or other events will not be reimbursed by UAS.
Wellness Checks

A wellness check occurs when university staff respond to a resident unit to check on the safety or well-being of a student. The decision to conduct a wellness check is not taken lightly as consideration is taken into account of the student's privacy in comparison to the reported concern and level of risk to the student's safety or well-being. 

Authorized Student Housing staff may enter the accommodations without notice when necessary for the safety of the student or other occupants of housing units.


Window decorations cannot cover more than 10% of the window and must be in compliance with existing Porches and Facility Exteriors and the Campus Posting Policy.  Exterior facing decorations are considered part of the facility exterior as this is visible to the public. 

Window Screens
Residents are not permitted to remove the screens from their residence hall room, apartment, or common area windows. Screens can be easily damaged by removal and residents will be responsible for replacement or repair costs of damaged or missing screens. There will be an automatic fine of $25 if any screen is found removed from a window. The cost for screen replacement is $100, which will be charged to the resident’s account. If a resident finds a window screen to be missing they should submit a work order to have them replaced. Additionally, windows should only be used as a point of exit of a unit in the case of emergency purposes only.
Wireless Internet and Wireless Device Policy

Wireless internet access is readily available throughout Student Housing for those with Wi-Fi connecting devices.  For information on or issues with connectivity to our wireless network, please visit the UAS IT Helpdesk or call (907) 796-6400.

Wireless Device Usage on the UAS Network

UAS provides a secured (UAS) and unsecured (UAS Guest) wireless network throughout campus and Student Housing. Certain consumer products use similar wireless technology as our network and cause interoperability issues with our wireless network, such as wireless signal overlap and network congestion. Use of these devices results in the inability of our residents and guests to reliably connect to our wireless network.

In such cases, UAS cannot effectively determine the cause of reported connectivity issues or guarantee wireless network stability.

Unpermitted Devices

The following devices are not permitted and may cause loss of network privileges:

Wireless Routers, Access Points, etc.
Any device that broadcasts a wireless network that can be seen on a laptop or mobile device; this is the number one cause of network interference.
Cellular Hotspots
Utilizing your cellular data plan for internet connectivity on another device. In addition to blocking the network, this is a security issue for your devices.
Wi-Fi Direct Technology
Any device that creates a peer to peer wireless network between two or more electronic components. Examples of such include the Roku 3 and other devices that allow streaming from audio and video content from a personal media player.

Permitted Only if Properly Configured

The following devices are permitted if configured properly on the UAS network only:

Apple Time Capsule, Apple TV, printers, Sony PS3 and PS4, Amazon Fire TV
These devices and those similar to them should not present interference with the UAS wireless network if configured to work within the network. It is recommended that you set passcodes for your devices to prevent others from accessing your device.

NOTE: Any device that broadcasts a wireless network is going to have an impact on our wireless infrastructure. For example, enabling “Remote Play” on a PS4 will cause this approved device to broadcast its own network.


If all residents respect these parameters, the UAS wireless network can accommodate all users and functions. Repeat offenders of this policy will be considered as a conduct violation under Failure to Comply with University directive.