Skip to content
 Scroll To Top

Eviction & Notice-To-Quit

In instances when the University has terminated a resident’s Housing Agreement, whether for conduct infractions or policy violations, non-payment, health and safety issues, or other reasons, the resident will be notified by the Residence Life Staff and/or Housing & Activities Office in writing – in the form of an eviction letter, also called a Notice-to-Quit.

Eviction Notice Term

The University needs only to provide 10 days notice of an eviction deadline.  As stipulated in the Housing Agreement, residents who are evicted are still responsible for full semester charges and forfeit their security deposit.

Appeal Process

Any eviction appeals must be addressed to the Housing & Activities Office in writing prior to the eviction deadline. A pending appeal response does not entitle the evicted student an extension on their vacate deadline.

Effect on Future Housing Eligibility

Residents who cooperate and meet their eviction deadline without incident may reapply for student housing in future semesters, but are not guaranteed acceptance.

Legal Implications

If a resident does not respond properly to the initial eviction notice, he/she will be served a formal notice to quit, which serves as official notice to be used in legal proceedings to forcefully remove the tenant from student housing. Residents will be charged all legal fees and court costs if the matter is brought to court.

Physical and Mental Health

The university reserves the right to make stipulations of mandatory assessment and/or treatment for residents demonstrating behavior that is a threat to their physical or mental health. It is the goal of the institution and the department to ensure that all residents are healthy and safe. If a student is perceived to require any clinical assessment or treatment to remain healthy and safe while living on campus, then the university will expect the individuals to comply with requests to obtain assessment, treatment, and provide proof of release or indication from a clinician that the individual is safe to return to the student housing environment. Those who refuse to comply, who do not complete recommended treatment, or who a clinician feels is inadvisable to return to student housing may have their housing agreement terminated by the university.

Additionally, as permitted by FERPA stipulations, parents or guardians of students thought to have imminent health or safety threats can be contacted by university administrators and notified of such concerns.

Residents who express suicidal thoughts or gestures, or those who attempt suicide while registered as a student housing resident, will be mandated to complete a series of at least three sessions with the campus counselor, and then to follow any recommended course of treatment or referrals made by this clinician.

Residents who are hospitalized for any reason may contact the Office of Residence Life to assist in notifying professors, roommates, or others of their absence. Hospitalized students may be accommodated by having assignments and textbooks gathered and delivered to them in the hospital so that they can make an effort to keep up with their coursework.

Residency Verification and Housing References

Residents may request that the Residence Life Manger verify their physical residence in student housing. This is sometimes required by private or corporate funding sources before financial aid is released. Residents needing this service should direct agencies to fax documents directly to the Residence Life Manager’s office at (907) 796-6350.

Additionally, current or former residents may request that the Residence Life Manager provide housing references as the student seeks off-campus housing. These requests should be made in advance to the Residence Life Manager. Students can expect that the RLM will comment on dates of residency, payment history, conduct and community engagement, and condition of the rental unit after the student had vacated.

Most fees and incidental charges incurred while in residence will automatically be posted to student accounts. Fees are assessed for reasons such as vehicle registration, vehicle towing, nightly housing charges, lock-out charges, improper closeout fees, damages, or disciplinary fines. Disciplinary fines appear as “miscellaneous housing charge” on student accounts. Students should always be made aware of charges before they are posted, but any questions regarding billing or charges posted by the department should be addressed to the Housing Office.

Meals Plans

All Student Housing Residents must purchase a meal plan for the academic year. Meal plans start on the day of housing move-in and end on day of housing move-out. The meal plan cost is non-refundable, nontransferable, and the remaining balance, if any, expires at the end of each semester. The meal plan is only good at the Bear’s Pantry and the Mourant Cafeteria. Meal plan appeals can be submitted for review within the first two weeks of school, along with documentation supported by a MD.  Contact the Housing & Activities Office for more information regarding the meal plan or the appeal process.

Resident Lockout Assistance

Residents may call the Community Advisor On-Duty 24/7 for assistance when locked out of their own bedroom, suite or apartment.  Resident lockouts requiring assistance between the hours of 7am and midnight will incur $5 fee per occurrence.  Lockouts between the hours of midnight and 7am will incur a $10 fee per occurrence.  Residents are responsible for keeping up with their own keys.  Occasionally, after repeated lockouts, residents may be referred to meet with the director/coordinator to discuss the nature of such reoccurrence.  Additionally, residents should report lost keys immediately.  See Lost Keys.

Part Time Students

As per the Housing Agreement, residents are required to maintain a minimum course load of 12 credits per semester for Fall and Spring terms.  Residents dropping below this minimum, to part-time status, must get approval from the Director to remain in the Housing community.  Residents who are only enrolled part-time may be asked to leave Housing at any time if they are involved in a violation of University policy.


Content maintained by Webmaster with assistance from UAS Student Services.