Skip to Main Content


High school seniors, students who have not attended college, or students who have completed less than one year of college.

Important Deadlines

Apply for Admission

Bachelor's Degree Programs

  • Graduate from high school with a GPA of 3.00 or above or successfully complete the GED

UAS recommends a core curriculum of four years of English, social studies, math, and science, or four years of English and social studies, three years of math and science, and two years of an Alaska Native or foreign language.

Associate Degree or Certificate Programs

  • Graduate from high school with a GPA of at least 2.00; or
  • Successfully complete the GED

Note: Students who have a high school GPA below 2.00 will be individually reviewed and may be admitted on probation.

High School Transcripts

Send in-progress transcripts during your senior year for early admission. After graduation, have your school send your final official transcript.

College Transcripts

If you have taken college classes outside of the University of Alaska system, have the college or university send an official copy of your transcript.

For full admission, UAS requires official copies of final transcripts. To be considered official, transcripts must come directly from the school or college, or from a transcript request service. If you bring your transcript to a UAS campus in person, it must be in a sealed envelope from the school or college.


UAS Admissions Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801



Novatney Building, Second Floor
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801
Ziegler Building
2600 Seventh Ave
Ketchikan, AK 99901
UAS Sitka Campus
1332 Seward Ave
Sitka, AK 99832

Note: You do not need to request transcripts from any University of Alaska campus, or resubmit transcripts you have previously submitted to any UA campus.

Note: Test scores are not required for admission, but can be used for placement in certain classes.

ACT or SAT scores

Have your official scores sent directly from the ACT or the College Board (SAT).

Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate

The university accepts scores of three (3) or above on most AP tests, or four (4) or above on IB exams. Have your official scores sent from the College Board (AP) or from the International Baccalaureate (IB) and the university will award appropriate credit.

If you plan to complete a certificate, degree, or minor in the Outdoor Studies Program, you must submit additional requirements, including documentation from a doctor or medical provider that you are in good physical condition and can participate in strenuous outings and expeditions. After you submit your application, the site will prompt you to upload:

The program suggests, but does not require, letters of recommendation to be admitted. Please email recommendations to

Note: The university keeps all medical information confidential.

The University of Alaska awards a $12,000 scholarship to the top ten percent of all Alaskan high school graduates. Join more than 7,000 of Alaska's best and brightest who have already accepted their award - Alaska's future depends on talented people like you!

Apply for Admission by May 1

If you are a UA Scholar and are planning on attending UAS, you must submit an admission application  before May 1st of your senior year. If you don't apply before May 1st, you will lose your award.

Scholars can also qualify for the Alaska Performance Scholarship.


If you have questions about your status as a UA Scholar or questions about the program, please contact an Admissions Counselor at 907-796-6100 or at For complete program information, visit the UA Scholars website.

We look forward to seeing you at UAS!

For more information: Admissions Office or call (907) 796-6100 / Toll Free: 1-877-465‑4827

Frequently Asked Questions

Typically the Admissions Office processes new applications in one to two business days. You will receive an email notifying you we have received your application and of any remaining requirements.

UAS offers a free application for non-degree seeking students or community members who simply want to take a class. Non-degree Seeking Students

Students may also complete a Course Registration form at the Juneau, Ketchikan, or Sitka campuses.

Submit your GED transcript in place of your high school transcript. If you earned your GED in Alaska, you can request an official copy of your transcript be sent to the Admissions Office from the State of Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development. This is a free request. Other states may vary.

The Admissions Office has a limited number of fee waivers and evaluates requests on a case by case basis. Applicants are required to submit the Application for Admission Fee Waiver Request form.

UAS considers a transcript to be official if it has been sent directly by the issuing high school or college. Transcripts may be submitted electronically to, or by mail to:

UAS Admissions Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801

Please note that faxed transcripts are not official.

If you have a transcript from your high school or previous college in the original sealed envelope, you can bring it directly to the front counter of the Juneau, Ketchikan, or Sitka campus.

UAS accepts transcripts from accredited home school programs. Transcripts should include 9th to 12th grade courses, the time frame of each course (academic year and semester), and an assessment of performance (letter grade, percentage, etc.). Home-schooled students who have not gone through a state-recognized program must submit an official GED.

Yes, UAS offers select distance degrees to students who reside outside of Alaska.


  • Accounting Technician*
  • Health Information Management Coding Specialist*
  • Small Business Management*

Associate Degrees

  • AAS in Business Administration*
  • AAS in Health Information Management**

Bachelor Degrees

  • Bachelor of Business Administration* (Accounting, Management, or Human Resources Management)

Master’s Degrees

  • Master of Public Administration* (also available in Whitehorse, YT Canada)

* Indicates program may be offered via distance to students outside of Alaska. Non-resident surcharges may apply.
** Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) state only

If you are unable to attend the semester you are admitted, you may postpone your application for up to one year. Please complete, sign, and return a Postpone Form. If you have questions regarding postponing your application, please contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6100 (toll free at (877) 465-4827) or at

If you decide not to attend the University of Alaska Southeast, please submit a Withdraw Form and contact the Admissions Office at (907) 796-6100 (toll free at (877) 465-4827) or at as soon as possible so that we may inactivate your file.

Don't stress! Many students don't know 100% what they want to major in, or change their major at some point during their college career.

We recommend that you select either the Associate of Arts or Undeclared major. Once you get an idea of what you'd like to major in, you can easily meet with your advisor and change your major.

Yes, and make arrangements for your final high school transcript to be sent after graduation.

The Admissions Office can use your partial high school transcripts for early admission, which is often needed for scholarship applications.

Yes. Regardless of the format, a home school transcript should include 9th to 12th grade courses, and the time frame of each course (academic year and semester) and must be from an accredited home school program. In addition, an assessment of performance (letter grade, percentage, etc.) is needed. Occasionally applicants may be asked to submit additional information regarding coursework.

If you completed a home school program that is not accredited, you will need to take the GED and submit a copy of your completed GED.

The university is committed to helping anyone who has a strong desire to pursue higher education.

If your cumulative GPA is below a 2.00, apply for an associate or certificate program, and may be admitted on probation. If admitted on probation you will be required to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.00 during your first semester.

Yes, UAS awards credit for appropriate scores on a variety of exams:

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Credit through College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB)
  • Placement for ACT or SAT I (English only)
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests
  • Credit by Examination through the UAS Testing Center

The university considers all students with less that 30 college level semester credits (45 quarter credits) first-year.

No, UAS does not require students to live on campus.

Southeast Alaska is a maritime climate. Temperatures range from 50 to 75 Fahrenheit in the summer (10 to 27 C) and 15 to 50 in the winter (-10 to 10 C). It's not the Arctic, but we recommend dressing in layers and to always be prepared for rain!

  • Lightweight shell or raincoat
  • Rain pants
  • Water-proof boots
  • Sneakers, hiking boots, or both
  • Winter gloves
  • Winter coat
  • Fleece pullover
  • Wool socks
  • Hats and scarfs
  • Personal clothing
    • Jeans/trousers
    • Button down shirts
    • Short and long sleeve t-shirts
    • Synthetic or wool sweaters/tops
    • Sweaters/hoodies