Skip to Main Content


Veterans and military students that are active duty, guard, reservists, and eligible dependents.

Important Deadlines


Before You Apply


Apply for education benefits with Veteran's Affairs. To start your VA benefits, you'll need to apply via We recommend setting up Direct Deposit during the Application. If you are transferring to UAS from another institution, complete VA Form 22-1995 Change of Institution.

Active Duty/Reserve Military

Contact your Educational Services Officer (ESO) within your branch prior to enrolling at UAS.

Students who have not attended college

  • meet the requirements listed in the freshman admissions section.

Students with fewer than 30 semester (45 quarter) college level credits

  • have a college level GPA of at least a 2.00; and
  • left your previous institution in good standing; and
  • meet the requirements listed in the freshman admissions section.

Students with 30 or more semester (45 quarter) college level credits

  • have a college level GPA of at least a 2.00; and
  • left your previous institution in good standing.

Notes: Students who have a GPA below a 2.00 will be individually reviewed and may be admitted on probation. Military applicants who did not take the ACT or SAT while in high school are not required to submit test scores.

High School Transcripts

If you have not attended college, or if you have fewer than 30 semester (45 quarter) college level credits, have your high school send your final official transcript.

College Transcripts

If you have taken college classes outside of the University of Alaska system, have your previous college or university send an official copy of your transcript.

Military Transcripts

UAS evaluates documented military credit from the Community College of the Air Force, as well as credits from the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines on the Joint Service Transcript, and Form DD-295 - Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences During Military Service. Transcripts prior to 2013 may be labeled as AARTS, SMART, or Coast Guard Institute transcripts.

Air Force: Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request

Army, Coast Guard, Navy and Marines: Joint Services Transcript

For full admission, UAS requires official copies of final transcripts. To be considered official, transcripts must come directly from the school or college, service, or from a transcript request service. If you bring your transcript to a UAS campus in person, it must be in a sealed envelope from the school or college.


UAS Admissions Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801



Novatney Building, Second Floor
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801
Ziegler Building
2600 Seventh Ave
Ketchikan, AK 99901
UAS Sitka Campus
1332 Seward Ave
Sitka, AK 99832

Note: You do not need to request transcripts from any University of Alaska campus, or resubmit transcripts you have previously submitted to any UA campus.

If you plan to complete a certificate or degree in the Outdoor Studies Program, you must submit additional requirements, including documentation from a doctor or medical provider that you are in good physical condition and can participate in strenuous outings and expeditions. After you submit your application, the site will prompt you to upload the following documents:

The program suggests, but does not require, letters of recommendation to be admitted. Please email recommendations to

Note: The university keeps all medical information confidential.

Visit the UAS Student Veterans and Families website for comprehensive information about the different types of VA Educational programs, instructions on how to use them at UAS, and information about veterans resources on campus and in the community.

Veteran students have two semesters to complete the admissions process.

To get started with your veterans' or active duty benefits, contact Deb Rydman, VA School Certifying Official (SCO), at (907) 796-6368, or

Common FAQs

Yes, UAS evaluates documented military credit from CCAF, AARTS, SMART, Coast Guard Institute transcripts, as well as DD214 and DD295 forms. Evaluations are done using the recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE). Additional information about military credit is available in the UAS catalog or by contacting the UAS Transcript Evaluator at (907) 796-6366.

Yes, UAS offers a few select distance degrees to students who reside outside of the state of Alaska.

Accounting Technician*
Computer Information and Office Systems*
Health Information Management Coding Specialist*
Small Business Management*

Associate Degrees
AAS in Business Administration*
AAS in Computer Information Office Systems*
AAS in Health Information Management**

Bachelor Degrees
Bachelor of Business Administration* (Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Management, or Marketing)

Master’s Degrees
Master of Education in Educational Technology*
Master of Public Administration* (also available in Whitehorse, YT Canada)

* Indicates program is offered distance to out of state students. Non-resident surcharges may apply.
** WUE state only

Please contact Deb Rydman, VA School Certifying Official (SCO), at (907) 796-6368 or

To view the most frequently asked questions regarding the new GI Bill, check out the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

We recommend you apply to an Associate degree program. After you successfully complete your first year, you can easily transfer to your intended major.