The University of Alaska Southeast is a student-centered university that provides instruction in liberal arts, professional, and technical fields. On the homelands of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian peoples, we serve the coastal environments, cultures, economies, and communities of Alaska, through interdisciplinary education, workforce development, and scholarship, research, and creative activity.
Approved by the Board of Regents on February 25, 2021. Read here about the process used to update our mission.View Strategic Plan
The University of Alaska Southeast is recognized as a destination of choice for students seeking excellent academic programs and engaging learning opportunities that integrate the environment and cultures of Southeast Alaska.
- Excellence – we pursue excellence through continuous improvement and innovation in teaching, community engagement, and research, scholarship, and creative expression.
- Diversity – we embody and respect the diversity of each individual’s culture, talents and abilities, and educational goals with special attention to Alaska Native heritage unique to Southeast Alaska.
- Access – we create accessibility to programs and services through use of technology, innovative and creative practices, and personalized services.
- Collaboration – we forge dynamic and cooperative partnerships internally among students, faculty, and staff and externally with other academic institutions, government agencies, business and industry, and community-based organizations to enhance our effectiveness.
- Sustainability – we contribute to the economic, social, and ecological sustainability and quality of life of the southeast region and state, nation, and world using the unique opportunities available (e.g., coastal environment, Tongass National Forest, glacial ecosystem, Juneau as Alaska’s capital city).
- Stewardship – we are responsible stewards in the use of our resources and are accountable for results working in an environment that values the contributions of all (e.g., administration, faculty, staff, and students).
- Student Success – provide the academic support and student services that facilitate student access and completion of educational goals
- Teaching and Learning – provide a broad range of programs and services resulting in student engagement and empowerment for academic excellence
- Community Engagement – provide programs and services that connect with local, state, national, and international entities on programs, events, services, and research that respond to the economic, environmental, social, and cultural needs and resources of Southeast Alaska
- Research and Creative Expression – provide programs and services that support research, scholarship, and creative expression by faculty and students