Getting Ready for the Big Event
We are so happy to offer an in-person celebration this year, but we know not everyone will be able to attend. Here are four ways to prepare for and personalize a virtual ceremony celebration for our graduates, friends, and family unable to attend the in-person ceremony:
Four ways to prepare for and personalize your virtual ceremony celebration
Step 1: Set Up a Watch Party
- Create a watch party on Zoom or Google Hangouts and invite out-of-town family and friends.
- Share the link to the commencement website: uas.alaska.edu/commencement to access the YouTube Premiere. (caption access)
- Sign into YouTube using your Google account to participate in the chat during the ceremony.
- Tag photos from your watch party with #UASGrad to be featured on the UAS social media.
Step 2: Get Into the Spirit
- Graduates: share a photo with family and friends of you dressed in your cap and gown.
- Family and friends: wear your UAS gear, blue or white clothing for the watch party.
- Cheer loudly when your graduate is recognized.
- Decorate your cap to celebrate your achievement. Post a photo to social media and tag #UASGrad.
Step 3: Personalize Your Celebration
- Make your favorite food for the celebration.
- Make a music playlist for before and after the ceremony.
- Decorate your watch space with balloons, streamers, signs – get creative!
Step 4: Check Your Tech
- Check your technology before the ceremony — test the links and YouTube login (required for chatting), so there’s no stress when the ceremony starts!