Emily Wall, B.A., M.F.A.
- M.F.A. in Poetry, University of Arizona, 1996
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, Colby College, 1994; Honors: Cum Laude, Dean's List; Minor: Creative Writing
- Bachelor of Arts in German, Colby College, 1994; Honors: Cum Laude, Dean's List
My passion is for poetry. I’ve been studying, writing, and publishing poetry for 20 years. I’ve been lucky enough to be part of a connected and supportive writing community throughout Alaska. I’ve brought many writers, including poet laureates to my classes and to work with my students. At UAS I’ve found the perfect writing laboratory: a wild and beautiful place, with a small but artistic town, and access to a broader community of outstanding writers.
I love teaching students how to write. In workshops with students I focus on craft and my goal is for every student leaving my class to have stronger, more powerful poems and stories. In each of my workshops I work to create a supportive, safe environment where students can bring their stories and poems and share them with other students. We laugh a lot, and sometimes there are tears over painful stories, but in each class I’ve been thrilled to see how students come together to support true writing communities.
Students who have taken my classes have gone on to publish their poems in journals, get into graduate creative writing programs, and have been hired in a variety of jobs including at the local NPR radio station, the local newspaper, and various non-profits like the Juneau Arts Council. A number of them have been hired into well-paying state and federal jobs in marketing departments, human resources, and other departments looking for strong writing and communication skills.
- Pushcart Prize Nominations. This national prize contest is one in which editors who have published your work submit it for nation-wide contest. The editors of Minerva Rising Press submitted my poem “Cleave.” The editors of Alaska Women Speak nominated “Dear Green,” “Dear Shutter Eye,” and “Dear Canyon” (2020).
- Juneau Arts Council Individual Artist Grant. I submitted a proposal and a several chapters from a novel and was awarded a $500 grant, which I used to research by a novel exploring misogyny in the clergy (2020).
Books & Chapbooks
- Breaking into Air: Birth Poems. Boreal Books, Red Hen Press. This is my fourth book of poems (forthcoming, Spring 22).
- Fist. Minerva Rising Press. This chapbook is in final production (forthcoming, 2022).
- Flame. Minerva Rising Press. This chapbook won the 2019 Dare to Be Chapbook Contest (2019).
- Letters from Mary. Origami Poems Project. This is a micro-chapbook of five poems (2018).
- With Reverence. Origami Poems Project. Micro-chapbook (2013).
- Liveaboard. Salmon Poetry, Ireland. This is my second book of poems (2012).
- Freshly Rooted. Salmon Poetry, Ireland. This is my first book of poems (2007).
Anthologies (last 5 years)
- Cascadia: A Field Guide Through Art, Ecology, and Poetry. My poem “Grace Harbour” was chosen for this anthology that spans the continent, collecting work about Cascadia. Elizabeth Bradfield is the editor (forthcoming).
- Refugium: Watersheds. My poem “If this was the Euphrates” was chosen for this anthology of poems about watersheds. The collection takes work from both U.S. and Canadian authors and is published by Caitlin Press (2020).
- Refugium: The Pacific Ocean. My poem “Grace Harbor, Desolation Sound” was chosen for this anthology of poems about the Pacific. The collection takes work from both U.S. and Canadian authors and is published by Caitlin Press (2017).
Literary Journal Publications (last 5 years)
- “Dear Fist” in Terrain.org (2021)
- “Dear Perfection” in Terrain.org (2021)
- “Dear Thin Air” in Terrain.org ((2021)
- “Dear Walking out” in Terrain.org (2021)
- “Dear Sacrament” in Terrain.org (2021)
- Five Poems by Emily Wall in Response to Paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe
- “Dear Canyon” in Alaska Women Speak (2021)
- “Dear Green” in Alaska Women Speak (2021)
- “Dear Shutter Eye in Alaska Women Speak (2021)
- “Dear Cleave” in Minerva Rising (2020)
- “Dear Roofless Room in EcoTheo Review (2020)
- “Fire” in The Midwest Quarterly (2020)
- “Eating the Wild” in Edible Alaska (2020)
- “Amuse-Bouche for Lulu” in Modern Poetry Review (2019)
- “Fanny’s Salad” in Poem (2019)
- “The Taste of Light” in Innisfree (2019) (Also accepted by Midwest Quarterly).
- “Tommy’s Birth” in Evening Street Review (2019)
- “Catching Babies: Haiku” in Evening Street Review (2019)
- “Seed” in Cirque (2019)
- “Upstairs Bread” in Architrave (2018)
- “Yoga, Sunday Morning, Pacific Ocean” in Terrain.org (2017)
- “Bringing Saki Home” in Minerva Rising (2017)
- “Liveaboard, S/V Iona” in Minerva Rising (2017)