Ernestine Hayes, M.F.A.
MFA in Creative Writing and Literary Arts, University of Alaska Anchorage Lingít x’eináx Saankaláxt’ yóo xat du waa sáak’w. Ch’aak’ naa ayá xát. Kaagwaantaan ayá xát. Gooch hít ayá xát. Gunáx teidí dach xan xát sitée. Shéetka Kwáan.
Grants, Honors and Awards
- Alaska Legislative Commendation. Presented by Representative Sam Kito. March 7, 2017.
- Inaugural Alaskan of the Week, conferred by Senator Dan Sullivan, January 9, 2017.
- Appointment, Alaska State Writer Laureate 2017-2019, conferred by Alaska State Council on the Arts. January 2017.
- Recipient. Alaska Native Studies Conference Award for Literary Achievement, 2016.
- Installation, “We Must Always Remember.” Alaska State Museum, Alaska Native Exhibit. 2016.
- 2015 Inaugural Selection, Alaska Reads.Coordinated by Frank Soos, Alaska Writer Laureate.
- 2015 Selection, One Campus One Book. University of Alaska Southeast.
- Rasmuson Foundation Artist Residency. Recipient, Djerassi Artists Residency. Woodside, California. April/May 2015.
- Alaska Literary Awards Recipient. Alaska Arts and Culture Foundation in Partnership with Alaska State Council on the Arts, 2015.
- Woman of Distinction Award March 2015.
- AWARE (Aiding Women in Abuse and Rape Emergencies).
- Installation, “The Spoken Forest.”
- Totem Bight Poems in Place, Ketchikan, September 8, 2013.
- Selected Participant. Alaska Native Playwrights Program, 2012. Recipient.
- Alaska Statehood Experience Grant, 2009.
- Recipient. HAIL (Honoring Alaskan Indigenous Literature), 2008.
- Recipient. Alaska Humanities Forum, Alaska at 50, 2008.
- Recipient. American Book Award, 2007.
- Finalist. 2007 PEN Nonfiction Award.
- Finalist. Kiriyama Book Prize, 2007.
- First Place. Speech, Alaska Professional Communicators, 2007.
- First Place. Faculty Advisor of Student Publications, Alaska Professional Communicators, 2007.
- First Place. Faculty Advisor of Student Publications, National Federation of Press Women, 2007.
- Honorable Mention. Speech, National Federation of Press Women, 2007.
- Book of the Month Selection, 2006.
- Native America Calling. Recipient.
- Rasmuson Foundation Emerging Artists Award, 2005. Recipient.
- 2004 Juneau Arts and Humanities Council Individual Grant. Participant and Show.
- Alaska Native Oratory, 2003.
- Fiction Writers Award. Anchorage Daily News, 2002.
- Alaska Native Writers Award. “Native Spirits.” Explorations, 2002.