Skip to Main Content

FAQ for Students

Covid-19 Office Operations

Our offices are available for in-person, phone, or video appointments. Email or call for more information. Additional information is also available on the UA coronavirus information website.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 provide protection against discrimination based on a disability. According to Section 504, "No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States … shall, solely by the reason of …disability, be denied the benefits of, be excluded from participation in, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” The ADA states a "person with a disability” is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, learning, breathing, and working. Physical or mental impairments include, for example, learning disabilities, emotional or mental illness, blindness and visual impairments, deafness and hearing impairments, mobility impairments and some chronic illness"

Contact the Disability Services office. Please set up an appointment with your Coordinator, to discuss all questions and concerns regarding disability.

Juneau CampusKetchikan CampusSitka Campus
(907) 796-6000(907) 228-4508(907) 747-7707

The Juneau Disability Services office is located in the Student Resource Center on the bottom floor of the Mourant building. The Ketchikan Disability Services is located in the Ziegler Building. For Sitka students, please contact the Juneau Disability Services office.

Students who experience all types of disabilities are eligible for support services. Disabilities could be related to a physical, medical, or mental health reason. Students must obtain or provide recent supporting documentation of the disability to receive services.

Current diagnostic and evaluative reports by a trained professional are the types of documentation needed. Documentation should be current; however, discretion may be used in accepting documentation of conditions which are permanent or non-varying (eg; a sensory disability). For more information on documentation needed for specific disabilities.

The first step it to self-advocate and self-identify that you experience a disability. You can do this by contacting Disability Services (DS) to schedule an appointment. An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan can be useful documentation for starting services with DS.

All evaluations, test results and medical records are confidential and are used for the sole purpose of determining eligibility for accommodations. The nature of the disability or temporary disabling condition is not released to any other party except with the written consent of the student.

No. The Disability Services Office provides service to qualified UAS students with disabilities free of charge.

There are a variety of services and accommodations available to UAS students through the Disability Services office. The DS Coordinator at UAS, will work with the student to find the most suitable accommodations for each individual. Examples of accommodations include: testing accommodations, note-taking and scribing assistance and alternate format books.

Students are able to contact the Disability Services at any time during their academic career at UAS to request reasonable accommodations. However, the sooner Disability Services is notified the sooner they can begin preparing reasonable accommodations and services. High school students with disabilities transitioning to post-secondary education may want to contact DS after receiving admission acceptance and/or registering for classes. It is your decision whether or not to inform the University of your disability. However, Disability Services highly encourages any students with disabilities to contact the DS office and strives to provide a safe, confidential, and welcoming environment in which to discuss disability concerns. Contact with the Disability Services office is the first step towards receiving any type of support services or accommodations.

When you come to your first appointment with the DS Coordinator you will need to bring all supporting documentation and any questions you have about services or accommodations.

Students are welcome to bring a family member or support person during their visits with Disability Services. However, at University of Alaska Southeast we highly encourage students to self-advocate for themselves.

Yes, accommodations can be provided on a temporary basis when the disability is clearly evident and with the approval of the DS Coordinator.

The details of your specific disability are private and confidential. Only the student can give permission for this information to be made available to faculty or staff.

If your faculty is not facilitating your approved accommodation, please contact DS as soon as possible. As a student working with the DS Office, you have the right to receive the accommodations you have been approved for. DS can help by talking to the professor on your behalf to make sure they understand the accommodation and why it is important or work with you to solve the issue another way.

If you disagree with the decision made by the DS Office about your accommodations, it’s important to let them know and provide additional information about how you feel the accommodation would help you be successful in your courses. Talking with the Dean of Students is the next step if you still disagree with the decision.

The DS Policies and Procedures page has more information about both of these topics.