Skip to Main Content

Housing Contract Policies

Housing Eligibility

Credit Requirements

Students residing on campus must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (undergraduate or graduate). Residents who are challenged in their courses and need to withdraw from classes to fewer than 6 credits should schedule a meeting with the Director of Residence Life prior to withdrawing.

GPA Policy

Housing and Residence Life at the University of Alaska Southeast is committed to the academic success of all Housing Residents. National data demonstrates that living on campus is correlated with higher GPA’s, higher degree attainment, and better on-time completion. While not a requirement to live on campus, all Housing Staff members are committed to assisting students attain at least a 2.0 cumulative and semester GPA, and to successfully complete at least 75% of attempted credits each semester. All staff members can assist you with referrals to academic supports on campus, including academic advising, the learning and testing center, disability support services, and more. If you are struggling in courses or are simply looking to learn more about academic support services on campus, please connect with a staff member for assistance.

Meal Plans

All residents must purchase a meal plan for the academic year. Meal plans start on the day of housing move-in and end on day of housing move-out. The meal plan cost is non-refundable, nontransferable, and the remaining balance, if any, expires at the end of each semester.

Private Room Requests

If vacancies occur in double occupancy bedrooms due to the withdrawal, relocation, or no-show of an assigned student, the remaining resident has the following options:

  • Pay the additional single supplement fee necessary to occupy the room for the remainder of the semester as a private room.
  • Request a room placement with someone who currently has no roommate.
  • Allow Student Housing to assign a new resident to the room or agree to move to another room that has only one occupant. 

Residential Fees


Each resident is assigned a unit key and a mailbox key upon arrival and are expected to be responsible for any keys issued to them. Residents should report lost or misplaced keys as soon as possible.

Lost or misplaced keys must be reported to a Housing Desk location and can be replaced by filling out the Lost Key Form with desk staff.

Replacement charges, which often include not only cutting of a new key but of re-coring all locks in an apartment or suite that the lost key can access, are listed below:

Key Replacement Fees
Key TypeReplacement Fee
Single Room Door Key$150.00
Mailbox Key$25.00
Temporary Swipe Access Card$10.00
Staff-issued Lodge Door Key$250.00

Keys and key cards are the property of the UAS; duplication and unauthorized possession of University keys are prohibited. Additionally, only authorized lock hardware may be installed on University property. All others will be removed.

Students in possession of unauthorized keys will be subject to conduct action. Fines for possession of unauthorized keys or failure to turn in keys at the end of one's residency term will be applied to the student account.

Residents' Responsibilities with ID Cards

Residents will need a Whale Card, or UAS student identification card, for building access, laundry system use, and to checkout items at Housing Desk locations. These ID cards are considered keys and should be treated as such. (See Keys.) Housing residents' cards provide them with access to areas of Housing that may not be accessible to every resident or to other UAS non-resident students. These ID cards also allow users to load money to the Whalebucks account assigned to the card. Residents are not allowed to let others use their ID cards and should report lost or stolen cards as soon as possible to protect the security of the Housing community, as well as to protect the funds they have loaded onto the card.


Resident lockouts requiring assistance between the hours of 7AM and midnight will incur $5 fee per occurrence. Lockouts between the hours of midnight and 7AM will incur a $10 fee per occurrence. Residents are responsible for keeping up with their own keys. Occasionally, after repeated lockouts, residents may be referred to meet with the Student Housing professional staff to discuss the nature of such reoccurrences. Additionally, residents should report lost keys immediately.

Smoking Policy

All Student Housing property, both external and including enclosed buildings within Student Housing, including Banfield Hall, the Housing Lodge, John Pugh Hall, and the apartments, are smoke and tobacco free. Smoking within the residential units carries a steep penalty in addition to cleaning charges.

  • Tobacco use is prohibited in every Student Housing building, including student residences, as well as in the managed university vehicles. Students found to have been smoking in their unit will be charged a $250 fine and may be assessed a fee to cover professional cleaning costs of the room, shampooing of the carpeting, etc.
  • Vaping and electronic cigarettes (“e-cigs”) are both prohibited in Student Housing units, as well, due to interference with smoke detectors and false positive alarms that can result.
  • Any violations of the above policy may also result in conduct action as Failure to Comply with university directive.

Move-Out and Contract Policies

Notice to Quit

In instances when Student Housing has terminated a resident’s Housing Agreement, whether for conduct infractions or policy violations, non-payment, health and safety issues, or other reasons, the resident will be notified by the Director of Housing & Residence Life in writing in the form of an eviction letter, also called a Notice-to-Quit.

Appeal Process

Any eviction appeals must be addressed in writing prior to the eviction deadline. A pending appeal response does not entitle the evicted student an extension on their vacate deadline.

Effect on Future Housing Eligibility

Residents who cooperate and meet their eviction deadline without incident may reapply for student housing in future semesters, but are not guaranteed acceptance.

Eviction Notice Term

The University needs only to provide a 10 day notice of an eviction deadline.

Legal Implications

If a resident does not respond properly to the issued eviction notice, Student Housing will retain legal representation and apply to the legal system for a writ of assistance in removal of the resident. All legal fees and court costs will be charged to the resident if the matter is brought to court.

Mail Forwarding

Student Housing will forward resident mail for up to 30 days after move-out to the address given on the move-out date. Pre-sorted standard stamped mail, magazines, non-profit mailings, and other advertisements will not be forwarded. Packages may be forwarded with a $35 charge per package.

No Shows

Residents who fail to check into their unit by midnight after the first day of instruction will be declared a ‘no show’ for that semester. Their room assignment will be cancelled and deposit forfeited, unless the Housing Office has been notified in advance.

Storing Items for Others

If a residents accepts another resident’s personal items to store for them, that individual accepts full responsibility for those items, including the responsibility to remove or relocate those items, as well as damage or loss of said items. As far as Student Housing is concerned, the individual holding those items is the owner of those items.