The UAS Writing Center's Collection of Exceptional Academic Works
Watch the launch of our first printed journal!
This spring, the Writing Center published physical copies of Summit for the very first time! Our launch event includes remarks from the WC's student tutors, the Writing Specialist, and the Library Dean, as well as a wonderful speech from the winner of the Ernestine Hayes Award for Excellence in Essay Writing.
Submit your work beginning December 1
Submissions for the fourth edition of Summit, for the 2022-23 academic year, will be accepted from Dec. 1, 2022, through Feb. 1, 2023.
When submissions open on Dec. 1, Summit will consider essays from any current undergraduate student taking courses through any of the three UAS campuses. Submissions for our upcoming fourth edition must be coursework completed in spring, summer, or fall of '22 and up to the deadline in spring '23.
How to Submit
- Fill out the attached cover page.
- Write a short author bio (50-80 words) in the third person and include on a separate page at the beginning of your submission
- Ensure that your essay is in Times New Roman, size 12 font, double-spaced
- Send your essay as a Microsoft Word document to the Writing Center email: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please include “Writing Center Journal Submission.” We will not accept .pdf documents or physical copies.
Due to the nature of the journal, Summit will only be accepting academic works that:
- Qualify as academic (no creative works)
- Do not exceed 15 pages (double spaced), excluding references
- Present a clear thesis
Each submission will be judged with the same rubric, which analyzes each paper for how well they reflect scholarly writing and the UAS core competencies of:
- Information literacy
- Critical thinking
- Professional behavior reflected in writing
The paper that exhibits the strongest mastery of the core competencies will be the recipient of the UAS Ernestine Hayes Award for Excellence in Essay Writing and will be featured with a special spread in the journal. This honor includes $250 in prize money furnished by UAS Student Government!