General Education Learning Outcomes (GELOs)
The Provost’s Assessment Committee for General Education Learning Outcomes (PAC-GELO) was formed in the fall of 2016 and was charged with developing assessment tools and a process to assess the extent to which UAS undergraduate students have acquired broadly expected academic skills through the completion of UAS prescribed General Education Requirements (GER) coursework. Starting in spring 2018, the PAC GELO has hosted workshops to assess two GELOs per semester on a rotating basis. PAC GELO committee members share the workshop assessment results with the UAS community at fall Convocation or spring Start Up.
In addition to the specific course level Student Learning Outcomes, UAS has adopted the following General Education Learning Outcomes.
- Effective Communication: Communicate thoughts and ideas effectively, orally and in writing.
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrate comprehensive exploration of issues, ideas and/or theories, artifacts, and events before accepting or formulating an opinion, conclusion, or solution.
- Creative Thinking: Present creative works of expression, innovative approaches to tasks, or solutions to problems.
- Empirical Reasoning: Articulate the scientific method and pose well-reasoned questions in the search for answers through data.
- Environmental and Community Engagement: Explore Indigenous and global social perspectives with respect for diversity of people, different perspectives of resource sustainability, and human impact on the environment.