Skip to Main Content

FERPA / Confidentiality

Education Record Information Release (FERPA)

Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), you are entitled, as a University of Alaska student, to review your education records.  Except for directory information, no personally identifiable information is disclosed to agencies outside the university without the written permission of the student, or as otherwise permitted under FERPA.

To give permission to release any of your education record information you must fill out the Education Record Information Release form and submit it, along with a government issued ID (if copied/faxed the ID must be legible).

Directory Information / Hold

The University of Alaska places restrictions on a student record designated with a "directory information" hold.

If you do have a "directory information" hold on your student record the following applies:

  • Your name will not appear in the published university chancellor’s and dean’s lists, commencement program, or any other university publications.
  • You will not be eligible for enrollment and/or degree verifications; your attendance and/or degree will not be verified for insurance companies, scholarships, potential employers, etc. without your written consent.

Please be aware that the following personal information may be made public without your express permission if you do not have a directory hold on your record:

  • Name of student
  • Dates of attendance at UA school
  • Program/Major field(s) of study
  • Degrees and certificates received including dates
  • Participation in officially recognized university activities
  • Academic and co-curricular awards, honors, and scholarships received and dates received
  • Electronic mail addresses
  • Hometown: city and state

You can change your directory hold status on your record (you have a hold and want it released or you don’t have a hold and you want one placed) by updating the directory hold option on UAOnline or by submitting the Release of Directory Information form to the Registrar's Office along with a copy of your government issued ID.

To change your directory hold status on UAOnline:

  1. Log into UAOnline
  2. Click Student Services and Account Information
  3. Click Change Directory Hold Option
  4. Enable or disable the directory hold and click Update Confidentiality