High School & Underage
Advisors welcome all interested students to UAS and assist them with registering for classes.
UAS welcomes students under the age of 18 who are ready for college-level work to enroll in many of our classes. There are three different options to choose from. Please review carefully.
Tech Prep students are enrolled in a UAS course taught under an articulation agreement between the school district and UAS. Tech Prep students should register for Tech Prep classes at their high schools.
Visit the Tech Prep website for more information.
A dual enrollment student is one who is simultaneously enrolled in a high school curriculum and courses at UAS. UAS courses may be used to fulfill high school graduation requirements. The purpose of dual enrollment is to provide high school students with access to coursework that is not available in Alaska high schools. Examples include academic courses that are more advanced than those offered in high schools and various vocational and technical programs that high schools are not equipped to teach. See enrollment procedures below.
Other Underage Students
Students under the age of 18 who are not currently in high school and have not completed a GED can sign up for classes as a non-degree seeking student. See enrollment procedures below.
Enrollment Policies for Dual Enrollment and Other Underage Students
- Underage students must have a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 to be eligible for enrollment at UAS. Exceptions to the 2.0 GPA requirements may be approved by the instructor.
- Underage students must meet course pre-requisites.
Enrollment Procedures for Dual Enrollment and Other Underage Students
- Meet with an advisor from the Student Resource Center in Juneau (phone: 907-796-6000, email: email@example.com), the Student Services Manager in Ketchikan (phone: 907-228-4511, email: firstname.lastname@example.org), or Student Services Advisor in Sitka (phone: 907-747-7717, email: email@example.com) to discuss the goals, risks, and rewards of enrollment in college courses.
- Submit high school transcripts that reflect a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Official transcripts may be sent to the UAS Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or sent through the mail or delivered in-person if in a sealed envelope to:
Novatney Building, 2nd Floor
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801
- Take Directed Self Placement assessment for initial writing course placement, and take ALEKS assessment for initial math course placement. Scores from SAT or ACT tests taken within the past year may be substituted for writing placement.
- Complete the Secondary Student and Parent/Guardian Agreement form, which requires signatures of the student and parent.
- Strongly recommended: complete an Education Record Information Release form (FERPA) in order for UAS officials to be able to speak to parents and counselors about the student’s academic progress, registration status, student account, and student affairs record.
- Submit required forms to the Registrar’s Office, and pay tuition and fees or provide proof of other funding source(s). Note: Students (and their parents) are responsible for the cost of tuition, fees, books, and other required materials.