Skip to Main Content


Students applying for admission who are not U.S. citizens or residents.

International Admissions

The University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) is a small public university with a culturally diverse and international population of students, faculty, and staff. UAS offers international students personal attention, small classrooms, nationally recognized education programs, and research opportunities in the unique setting of Southeast Alaska. Choosing to study in the United States is a big decision. We are here to support our International Students through every moment of your education. From applying to graduating and beyond. 

See our international admissions page to learn more and apply.

Important Steps

International students may apply for admission to select associate, bachelor, and post-secondary certificate programs. The following programs are open to international students:

Associate's Degree

  • Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Construction Technology, Power Technology

Bachelor's Degree

  • Biology, Elementary Education, English, Environmental Studies, Social Science, Bachelor of Language Arts, Applied Fisheries, Mathematics, Outdoor Studies

Post-Secondary Certificates

  • Drafting Technology, Indigenous Language Speaking & Teaching, Outdoor Skills & Leadership


The deadlines to apply for international students are:

  • Fall Semester: April 1
  • Spring Semester: September 1

Apply online!

When applying, you will need to submit all of your official transcripts from secondary school (high school), as well as any post-secondary institutions. Failure to not submit all post-secondary institutions where you have an academic record will result in denied admission.

If you have attended a foreign institution, you will need to provide an official statement of educational equivalency in English. It is your responsibility to arrange and pay for the evaluation. Below are a list a credential evaluators:

Foreign Credential Evaluation Reports (ECE)

World Education Services, Inc.

All international students for whom English is not their first language must take an English Proficiency test and submit the results with their application. Below are a list of standardized test that UAS accepts for demonstrating proficiency:

  • TOEFL Paper: 550
  • TOEFL Computer: 213
  • TOEFL Internet: 80
  • IELTS: 6.5 out of 8

NOTE: International students who are already inside the U.S. and are applying for admission into a degree program will also have to meet specific requirements for English proficiency. TOEFL, IELTS, UAS Placement Tests, high school or college grades, or a combination of these may be considered.

All international students must provide a detailed statement of documented sources of sufficient funds to:

  • Pay all expenses while attending UAS; and
  • The ability to pay for a return trip home in the event of an emergency.

Use the form to indicate financial support.

Estimated Expenses for International Students

Nine Month Academic Year, September through May   









Student/Course Fees 












Health Insurance (required) 

$  1,500

$  1,500  




The costs listed above are approximate costs for one academic year based on 12 credits/semester for undergraduate students and
9 credits/semester for graduate students. Add approximately $4,500 for summer living expenses. Transportation costs are not
included. If you are bringing family members with you, you must have approximately $10,000 in additional support per dependent
to cover the increased cost of room, board and insurance.
Residents of the Whitehorse, Yukon and Inuvik, Northwest Territory in Canada as well as residents of other countries which hold
approved Sister City/Sister Province agreements, qualify for resident tuition. Undergraduate resident tuition and course fees is
approximately $7,652 and graduate tuition & course fees is approximately $10,676 for the nine month academic year.

International Students have the option to make payments to the university online, in person, over the phone, and by mail. The details for these options can be found on the University's Student Accounts page. 

Additionally, International Students have the option to make international transfers from their bank using our FlyWire account.

For questions about payments, please contact our Student Accounts Office:



International Student Advising

International students are assigned an International Student Advisor. International student advising enhances and fortifies the communication efforts between the student and university services as the student navigates admissions, registration, travel, and attendance.

The university assigns each international student an advisor to help with immigration, admissions, registration, travel, and attendance. To fully support our international students, the university requires that students meet once a month with the International Student Advisor. You may contact an advisor below.


Special programs & Scholarships

A Sister City is an agreement between the University of Alaska and a foreign country that allows residents from certain cities or regions to qualify for in-state tuition as an international student.

Students from the following locations are eligible to receive in-state tuition rates:

CountryCity or Province
CanadaWhitehorse Yukon Territory, Inuvik Northwest Territory, Prince Rupert, Yellowknife
ChinaHarbin, Heilongjiang Province
Great BritainWhitby, England
JapanChitose; Gero; Itadori-Mura; Kanayama-Gara; Mombetsu City; Myoto-Kogen; Nemuro; Noshiro; Obihiro; Saroma; Takienoue Town; Teshio
MongoliaErdenet City
NorwayHammerfest; Mo I Rana; Tromso
PhilippinesCamiling; Kalibo
TaiwanTainan City; Taiwan Province
RussiaLavrentiya; Lenin District, Vladivostok; Magadan; Mirnyy; Noglicki; Okha; Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky; Providenya; Sereniki; Yakutsk; Yelisovo; Khabarovsk Region

The Master of Public Administration is a graduate program delivered via distance classes to students across Alaska and the Yukon Territory. If you live in the Yukon Territory, you do not need a student visa to be admitted to the program. In the “Residency” section of the UAS Admission Application, select that you plan to apply to the Master of Public Administration program through the UAS/Yukon College Partnership.

Learn more and apply.

Yukon Territory MPA Students

Contact the Admissions Office at

International students attending UAS for their undergraduate studies may apply for this needs-based scholarship. For more information, contact the UAS Financial Aid office.