Computers & Technology
Egan Library offers a variety of Windows 10 workstations with widescreen monitors. Student (Academic) Workstations feature a full suite of academic software. Wi-Fi access is widely available on UAS campuses (open:UAS Guest, secure:UAS).
- Eleven UA Student Workstations
- Four Timed Internet Workstations (1 hour sessions, requires login with library card/student ID#/or guest pass),
- Five Express Internet Workstations (15 mins, no login)
- The Learning Center and Writing Center offer additional Student Workstations.
- Windows 10 laptops and other equipment are available for 24 hour checkout for UAS students.
- Print, Scan, Copy, Fax: Two SmartStations (library and lobby) provide printing from personal devices, lab computers and connected cloud storage accounts. Access UAS InkCloud portal.
Print/Scan/Copy/Fax services are located on the main level (2nd floor) of the Egan Library and in the lobby.
Egan Library offers managed printing (pay-per-print) powered by ink. This service enables printing from virtually any device, as well as cloud accounts and USB drives. Users can print from all library computers, personal computers, can connect to documents from cloud storage services at the SmartStation, a print kiosk powered by frontier technology, or files (attachments) can be sent from the email address associated with your ink account to firstname.lastname@example.org
Print jobs are only released when the user logs in/swipes their card and pays for the prints at a SmartStation. SmartStations are located in the Egan Library and in the lobby. Drivers are available for personal computers after logging in to the UAS inkCloud portal. All online accounts are managed by ink and the service accepts promo codes, credit/debit cards, and preloaded value cards (see below).
A more eco-friendly solution
Printing reimagined at Egan Library is a sustainable and eco-friendly solution. The ink SmartStation:
- is green
- uses less power
- doesn't use toner cartridges
- reduces waste by eliminating unclaimed print jobs
|Single-sided black and white *||$0.10|
|Double-sided black and white *||$0.18|
|Single-sided color *||$0.35|
|Double-sided color *||$0.60|
|Fax, first page||$0.99|
|Fax, each additional page||$0.49|
|Photo print (library only) on 4"x6" photo paper||$0.50|
* 8 1/2" x 11" paper only
How to create your account and add funds
- Login to the UAS inkCloud portal
- Students: access your account using your UA username/password
- Guest users: create a guest account
- UAS users can enter the promo code "alaska5" for a $5 credit. Guests can ask for an ink Guest Card (includes a $2.50 promo credit) at the Circulation Desk.
- Access your account online to add funds with a credit/debit card or add at a SmartStation in the library or lobby. Whale Bucks CANNOT be used for printing. Remaining balances on print accounts (ink) are not refundable when you graduate or transfer. Be judicious when adding funds to your account.
- Users without access to an accepted payment method can purchase preloaded ink value cards at the Library Circulation desk in $5 for $10 amounts.
Releasing print jobs
Print jobs are only released when the user logs in/swipes their card and pays for the prints at the SmartStation. Print jobs remain in the print queue for 72 hours.
Print from your personal computer
For personal computers, in addition to using a drag-and-drop interface through the UAS inkCloud Portal, you can also load a print driver in order to print directly from your applications.
Instructions for installing drivers:
- Log in to the UAS inkCloud portal
- Select "File > Print" in the upper right corner
- Download the appropriate driver for your computer's operating system.
- Egan Library staff can provide hands-on assistance using the ink SmartStations, just ask.
- Users encountering any printing problems, e.g. jams, misprints, formatting issues can notify ink support through email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-800-INK-6053. Refer to the UAS Egan Library or UAS Spike's Cafe SmartStation to receive a corresponding credit.
- Be sure to check out the Ink Knowledge Base and Support
Several scanning options are available. There is a public access scanner/copier (Konica-Minolta) near the Circulation Desk. The Egan Library ink SmartStation also offers free document scanning.
- Both support color scanning.
- The Konica-Minolta supports duplex scanning, has a document feeder for multiple page jobs and outputs PDF or TIFF formats to email.
- The ink SmartStation supports scanning to cloud storage accounts, USB, email and in a variety of formats. No manual feed option is available for multipage scanning jobs.
A self-service black & white copier is located on the main level by the Circulation Desk ($.10 per page). The copier accepts bills ($1, $5, $10) and coins. Black & white and color copies can be made on the ink SmartStation, however no manual feed option is available for multipage jobs ($.10 per page for BW copies, $.35 for color). We recommend using the black & white copier for multipage copying.
The ink SmartStations support faxing of documents scanned at the kiosk or stored in cloud storage accounts. No manual feed option is available for multipage jobs. No fax confirmation receipt is available. Users can also fax documents directly from the UAS inkCloud Portal. Pricing is listed above.