- J Juneau
- K Ketchikan
Train locally, work globally! Earn USCG approved credentials with UAS Maritime. Combine your sea-time and education into an exciting career in either the deck or engineering department.
Classes are specific to certain campuses. Please see an advisor for additional information to see what’s available in your area.
- Able Seaman (Seafarer)
- Entry Level Deckhand
- Charter Boat Skipper
- 100–200 Ton Vessel Captain
- Towing Vessel Officer
- QMED Oiler
Maritime & Multi-Skilled Worker
The UAS Ketchikan Maritime & Multi-Skilled Worker program is a series of courses that leads to the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Oiler Credential: “Qualified Member of the Engine Department" QMED.
Students in the MMSW Program:
- Are in class Monday – Friday (9:00am – 4:00pm most days) for 12 weeks every fall semester.
- Benefit from hands-on training time along with technical knowledge
- Learn the basics of
- Diesel mechanics maintenance & repair
- Hydraulics maintenance & repair
- Refrigeration maintenance & repair
- Marine electrical maintenance & repair
- Learn skills related to other industrial jobs in shipbuilding, heavy machinery, construction, physical plant operations and welding.
UAS Ketchikan partners with the Alaska Marine Highway System and other employers to find sea time internships for all students interested. For more information, check out the program sheet or contact Mike LaBarge at 907-228-4572.
The UAS Ketchikan Maritime & Multi Skilled Worker program is a United States Coast Guard approved class. This approval has significant advantages for seafarers seeking to upgrade their skills and credentials and for those seeking entry into the maritime field. Successful completion of the program allows a reduction in required sea service days from 180 to 120. Upon presentation of the required sea time at the Regional Exam Center, the USCG will issue the QMED/Oiler rating credential without any further testing.
Scholarships are available for this program
Non-credit (Renewal) Courses
Faculty & Staff
Assistant Professor of Maritime StudiesProfile and contact info
Assistant Professor of Marine TransportationProfile and contact info
Career Education Coordinator, Welding and Power Tech Lab ManagerProfile and contact info
Assistant Professor of Power TechnologyProfile and contact info