An intense 11-month program for students who are seeking certification in Secondary and Middle Grades Education. Applicants to this program should have an undergraduate degree in a subject normally taught in Alaska secondary schools (e.g. English, social studies, mathematics, sciences, physical education, music).
The program begins with a virtual session for eight weeks each summer, consisting of four graduate classes.
What's my degree pathway?
For Students With an Undergraduate Degree Who are Not Certified Teachers
- We suggest a Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education at the University of Alaska Southeast.*
- We suggest the Graduate Certificate in Secondary Education at the University of Alaska Southeast. Please see the FAQ "What kind of documentation should I submit for the QEC?" for more information about eligibility to apply for the Graduate Certificate program.*
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials of the application process.
M.A.T., Secondary Education & Graduate Certificate
Before You Begin
Contact Student Services Assistant, Elisabeth Genaux, to set up an appointment with Program Coordinator, Mischa Jackson
Complete and Submit the Following
- Complete Graduate Application and pay fee
- Send Official Transcripts with a 3.0 GPA to UAS. Please note: transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Take and pass the Praxis CASE/Core exam
- Take and pass a Praxis II Content Area Exam
- Complete the Information Release Waiver Statement
- Complete the Student Self-Evaluation Sheet
- Submit Statement of Professional Objectives writing sample
- Complete Student Information Sheet
- Submit current Resume
- Submit Recommendation: As part of the online program application, submit contact information for one reference (a former or current professor or supervisor who is not related to you) who can address your dispositions. A link to the UAS SOE recommendation form will be emailed to the reference based on the contact information submitted in the UAS application portal.
One SOE dispositions recommendation form is all that is needed to meet the requirement. However, if references want to submit a traditional narrative letter of recommendation as well, they should email it to Admissions to be included in an applicant’s application materials.
- Complete one Transcript Evaluation form only if seeking certification in the field of Mathematics, English, Social Studies, History, General Science, or a Single Subject in Science
- (For Graduate Certificate applications only) Qualifying Educational Credential (QEC) - see FAQ for additional information
Send all of these items to:UAS Admissions
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801-8671
Although some of these classes are solely taught through e-learning, due to mandatory supervision requirements these programs are currently only available to candidates who live in Alaska. Candidates living outside Alaska are welcome to apply to this program, but should understand that this program is specifically designed to train teachers for the unique teaching conditions of various Alaskan communities and that applicants will need to reside in Alaska to complete the program.
See the following document for a list of cities in Alaska with Praxis testing centers: Alaskan testing locations. Students may need to travel to a different location to complete the Praxis tests if their town does not have a Praxis testing center.
Please note that students must pass the Praxis CASE/Core test prior to admission. If students do not pass all sections of the test, they must retake it.
At least one passing Praxis II score is required before students can be considered for admission to the program. Students should select the Praxis II exam most closely aligned with their undergraduate degree.
See this list of current Praxis II content area exams and register online at ETS. You can also find preparation materials for various Praxis tests by selecting a Praxis test from the dropdown menu at the ETS Preparation Materials website.
If you have questions about which Praxis II exam to take, please contact Program Coordinator Mischa Jackson. Please note that students must pass at least one Praxis II content area exam test prior to admission. If students do not pass it, they must retake it.
If there are content deficiencies, you will be advised to defer enrollment. Please contact Program Coordinator Prof. Mischa Jackson if you have specific questions regarding this requirement.
Candidates seeking the graduate certificate must submit documentation for the Qualifying Educational Credential (QEC). This documentation must verify at least one of the following criteria:
- A completed master’s degree in a relevant field (Content area discipline or education)
- Documented teaching experience*
- Coursework in education from an approved teacher preparation program
- Current Alaska Type A certification in elementary or special education
- Current certified position, or job offer from Alaskan school district (Verification required)
* In order to meet the criteria for teaching experience, applicants must provide documentation (evaluations, employment verification, lesson plans etc.) from a teaching position in a private school, an outdoor or experimental education program or an internal school. Substitute teaching or early childhood experience does not apply. The documentation should demonstrate that the applicant planned for instruction, facilitated learning, and completed all duties related to the teaching assignment.
Handbooks and Resources
Mischa Jackson, M.A.T., M.Ed.
Assistant Professor, Program Coordinator: Secondary EducationView profile and contact info
Student Services AssistantView profile and contact info
Program AssistantView profile and contact info