Frequently Asked Questions
For students, accounts becomes available as soon as the registration process is completed. Please note that registration is considered "completed" when your information is entered into the University of Alaska's Banner Registration system - not when you submit your paperwork. This is true even if your application is submitted online.
For employees, accounts become available as soon as your information has been entered into our Banner database by HR. Please note that there are several steps in this process, and your access may be limited depending on how far into the account creation process you are.
In either case, to activate your new account you will need to find your username and set a password in ELMO (Easy Login Maintenance Option), also referred to as Login Help. While account activation allows immediate access to most UAS resources, it can take up to 24 hours for your class discussion boards to become available.
Your UAS Username is a unique identifier automatically set up for you when you register for UAS courses. The username will be used with UASOnline, Email, campus computers, and more.
To find your username, please visit the ELMO (Easy Login Maintenance Option).
To set your initial password, as well as reset a forgotten password, please visit ELMO (Easy Login Maintenance Option).
A student account will expire if you stop taking classes for a semester or more.
- If you sign up for new classes your account will be reactivated when the registration process is completed. Please note that registration is considered "completed" when your information is entered into the University of Alaska's Banner Registration system - not when you submit your paperwork. However, if you register online as a previous student, account reactivation is immediate.
- If you believe your account should be active and ELMO shows it to be inactive, please contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
- If you are not currently enrolled but completing coursework from a previous semester, please contact your academic department to arrange an account extension.
Did you know it is possible to view course sites and syllabi before you register? Simply visit UASOnline and search for classes in the Course Homesites box.
Student accounts remain active until 8 weeks after the last day classes for which you are currently registered. This gives you time to move needed materials, notify contacts of an address change, et cetera. When you sign up for new classes your account will be reactivated when the registration process is completed. Please note that registration is considered "completed" when your information is entered into UAS internal systems, not when you submit your paperwork. However, if you register online as a previous student, account reactivation will be immediate.
If you register for the next semester ahead of the start of classes, your account will remain active throughout your time at UAS.
In order to extend an expired account refer to the options listed on the Account Extensions page.
For employees, account status is tied to employment paperwork with HR, and expires 7 days after the last date of employment. If you believe your account has been expired prematurely, please work with your supervisor and HR.
Welcome to UAS! You should talk with your supervisor to be familiar with your access. For reference, you can use the New Employee IT Checklist. It goes over resources such as accounts, computers, fileshares, and printers.
After changing over to a new phone, you'll still need to update a few things before Duo will recognize the new device. The app may have transferred over, but is no longer synced up with your profile.
Full instructions with pictures
To re-enable Duo access through the Duo Mobile app:
- Go to any UA login page that uses Duo and log in to see the Duo menu
- Select My Settings & Devices
- Choose Call Me and press pound (#) after answering the phone call. The push feature will not work until your Duo profile has been updated
- Select Device Options next to the device you need to update (usually this is your cell or mobile device)
- Select Reactivate Duo Mobile
- Select what type of device you are using
- You will see a QR code. Open your Duo Mobile app by selecting I have Duo Mobile installed
- Scan the QR code within the app by tapping the + button
This should update your Duo profile to enable Push notifications to your new phone.
When your UA Username does not match your current name, you can update the username at UA Online in the Personal Information section. Select UA ID Number and Username. If you do not see the option to update your username, then we may have the wrong name or out-of-date information on file. To update our documentation, please fill out a name change form and submit the completed form and attachments to the appropriate office. Student related information should be submitted to your local Registrar's Office. Employee related information should be submitted to your regional Human Resources Department.
Students and Faculty: if you change your username during a current semester, your current coursework may be lost. We recommend waiting until you are between semesters when possible. It may take up to two days for all systems to recognize your new UA Username.