Skip to Main Content

All Housing Policies

This page is a full alphabetical list of all policies established and maintained by UAS Residence Life. We generally recommend viewing policies through other curated pages on this site. In addition to policies set by Residence Life, all students at the University are held to the Student Code of Conduct.

Abandoned Property

Any personal items left in a unit after a resident moves out will be considered abandoned and held for up to 15 days. Cleaning and labor charges associated with moving and storing these items will be applied to resident accounts. These abandoned items will be disposed of after the 15 day hold period if no other arrangements are made by the departed resident in agreement with Housing.

Alcohol Policy

The use of alcoholic beverages should be in compliance with approved state, federal, and local laws, including, but not limited to the following:

  • A person less than 21 years of age shall not purchase alcohol, consume alcohol in licensed premises, or possess alcohol. A person who furnishes fraudulent identification to a person less than 21 years of age, or a person less than 21 years of age who uses a fraudulent identification to purchase alcoholic liquor, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

  • Alcohol shall not be sold or furnished to a person unless the person has attained 21 years of age. A person who knowingly sells or furnishes alcoholic liquor to a person who is less than 21 years of age is guilty of a misdemeanor. This includes hosting under-21 residents in an over-21 apartment where the minor is found to have consumed alcohol.

  • A person less than 21 years of age shall not knowingly transport or possess, in a motor vehicle, alcohol unless the person is employed by a licensee under the Liquor Control Commission Act or an agent of the Liquor Control Commission and is transporting or having the alcohol in a motor vehicle under the person’s control during regular working hours and in the course of the person’s employment. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor.

  • A person shall not transport or possess alcohol in a container which is open, uncapped, or upon which the seal is broken, within the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

Alcohol Policy for Over-21 Residents

Alcoholic beverages may be possessed and/or consumed by members of the Housing community who are of legal status to possess or consume such beverages as defined by the laws of the State of Alaska. Consumption and possession of alcohol beverages is restricted to apartments designated as “Over-21 Units.” Alcoholic beverages are not to be possessed or consumed at any time or place in UAS Student Housing or its buildings unless specifically authorized by the provisions of this policy. Residents who are unsure of their unit status or who wish to request a status change (after the last ‘under 21’ roommate celebrates their 21st birthday) should consult with Residence Life staff.

  • Students eligible to possess or consume alcoholic beverages are to do so only within the privacy of the apartments of students who can legally possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Any apartment in which all residents are of legal age will be designated an “Over-21 Unit,”, and can thereby host the consumption of alcohol by any persons of legal age. An apartment in which even one resident is under the age of 21 shall be designated an “Under-21 Unit,” and will remain a substance-free apartment until such time that all roommates are over-21. 

    • Alcohol is not to be stored or consumed in an “Under-21 Unit,” even in private rooms of those residents who are over the age of 21.

    • The entirety of John Pugh Hall is a substance-free facility.

  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages “in the privacy of (a resident’s) apartment” is interpreted to mean only within the apartment, with the door to the apartment closed, and with no more than 12 persons in an apartment at one time. 

    • Students under 21 years of age may not be present in an “Over-21 Unit” when alcohol containers are open and/or alcohol is being consumed.

  • No common sources of alcohol or other concentrations of alcohol which require a common container are allowed on the campus or any of its facilities, e.g., “trash cans.” Containers requiring the use of a “tap system” are also not allowed in Student Housing or in any of its facilities. Kegs and similar containers may not even be present when empty, used as furniture or decoration, etc. Likewise, excessive amounts of liquor bottles in any single apartment may be considered a common source of alcohol. Individuals found to be responsible for common sources of alcohol may be fined and alcohol will be confiscated and disposed of immediately.

  • Alcohol is not to be consumed outside of an “Over-21” unit. This may include but is not limited to porches, roofs, decks or other exterior structures of living units, nor on their lawns or grounds. Under this provision, alcohol is not to be consumed in common areas within the Housing complex, including anywhere in the Lodge or in outdoor common areas such as the pavilion, the basketball court, sidewalks, or parking lot.

  • Any alcohol found to be in the possession or presence of under-21 year-old individuals will be confiscated and disposed of immediately.

  • Residents under the age of 21 may not possess or transport empty bottles or alcohol containers, nor any glass or container in which alcohol residue or remnants can be detected. These materials will be considered alcohol paraphernalia and be confiscated by the responding staff members.

  • Distilling, fermenting, and brewing of beer and other spirits are not permitted on premises.

  • Public intoxication and disorderly conduct of an intoxicated individual, including a resident who may legally consume alcohol, will be considered a violation of the alcohol policy.

  • The suspected violation of any portion of this alcohol policy may result in the search of the living unit where the violation is to take place.

Alcohol Emergencies

Heavily intoxicated individuals have a high risk of experiencing at least some symptoms of alcohol poisoning. Students who are aware that another individual who has been consuming alcohol is completely unresponsive should not simply assume that he/she has simply “passed out.” If attempts to rouse the person are unsuccessful, he/she may be in dire need of medical attention. Breathing may slow to dangerously low rates or students may choke on their own vomit if left unattended. Alcohol poisoning is just what it sounds like: the body is literally poisoned by excessive amounts of a toxic substance until the point where organs may begin to shut down or brain damage occurs. Other symptoms of alcohol poisoning is vomiting uncontrollably or vomiting blood, dilated pupils or uneven/unresponsive pupils, or seizures. These symptoms indicate an immediate need for medical care or assessment. Because individuals’ physiology and genetic predispositions vary greatly, one amount of alcohol may be just enough to give one person a “buzz,” while it is enough to put another into grave medical risk.

If you believe someone is experiencing Alcohol Poisoning, contact 911 immediately. After contacting 911, contact the RA On Duty at (907) 209-6539 for the Main Housing Complex or (907) 209-6534 for the John Pugh Residence Hall.

Approved Animals

As partners in accomodating the presence of animals in our Housing community, it is important for residents with authorized animals to comply with the following policies:

  • Animals may be brought on University property provided that the animal is:
    • Confined in the owner's automobile (with consideration for weather conditions and ventilation)
    • On a leash or harness and accompanied at all times by an individual capable of controlling the animal.
  • Anyone who brings a pet on University property must:
    • Comply with CBJ ordinance requirements for sanitary disposal (08.40.040);
    • Assume all financial responsibility for any damage to property or injury to individuals caused by the animal.
  • Animals may not be tethered to University buildings, structures, motor vehicles, trees, railings, light poles, benches, posts, or other structures.
  • Animals found tethered to University property or wandering loose on campus may be reported to the local enforcement agency.                                                                                                   
  • Failure to adhere to these policies could result in non-compliance fines in addition to revocation of the resident’s right to have an animal in the Housing community. 

Authorized pets include fish and aquatic amphibians that are contained in an aquarium that does not exceed 10 gallons. No more than 25 gallons of total aquarium space is allowed in any one unit, regardless of which resident(s) are in possession of aquariums. Residents are not allowed to have any other pets in units at any time.

Bicycle Storage

Bicycle racks provided outside of Banfield Hall, John Pugh Hall, the Housing Lodge, and Glacier Building are the only exterior Housing locations approved for bicycle storage.  Apartment residents have the option of keeping their bicycles in the storage room of their unit.  Bicycles are not permitted to be stored on apartment porches, on the Banfield Hall entry bridge, or anywhere within Banfield Hall or John Pugh Hall. 

Bicycle Registration and Permits

Residents may choose to store a bicycle on campus. Note that all liability associated with bicycle ownership remains with the bicycle owner. Residents who utilize public bicycle racks at John Pugh Hall and main housing complex must register their bicycle with Residence Life in order to keep a record of their ownership and to assist Residence Life if the owner of a bicycle ever needs to be contacted. Registered bicycles will receive a permit sticker. It is the resident’s responsibility to make sure the permit stickers stay on the bicycle and to request a new registration sticker if the original is lost. On a bicycle, the permit decal should be placed on the upper section of the main frame, near the handlebars. At the end of each semester Residence Life audits bicycle racks and removes bicycles not registered to a current resident. Residents may store their bicycle over Winter Break without any additional registration provided they are a Spring resident. Bicycles left on campus after a resident leaves housing will be managed according to the abandoned property policy.

Bed Bunking and Lofting

For safety purposes, only furniture that has been designed for elevation or lofting, i.e. Banfield Hall beds, should be bunked, with use of proper tools and staff support.  Only Banfield Hall beds are designed and available for bunking/lofting. The use of concrete blocks or any other materials for the purpose of elevating and/or stacking unit furniture are prohibited. 

There are a limited number of bunking/loting materials and those will be assigned on a first-requested, first-served basis after move-in to Housing.

Staff assistance will be provided for setup of a bunking or loft kit. It is the residents responsibility to take down a provided bunk/loft kit and place items in the appropriate location upon check-out or departure.


Items should not be hung from or attached to ceilings. Residents may not mount anything across ceilings, even if the physical mount points are on walls. It is especially important not to tamper with sprinkler heads as the damages associated with inadvertently setting those off could be very costly and any damage caused would be the financial responsibility of the resident. Always keep at least 18 inches from sprinkler heads.

Courtesy Hours

Courtesy Hours are to be considered, respected and upheld all hours of the day, meaning that common courtesy regarding noise within a communal living environment is expected at all times. Our goal is to maintain a living environment that is conducive to academic success and personal wellbeing. At any point of the day, a resident may request that other residents or guests adjust their volume output to an acceptable level if they are being overly loud. Courtesy Hours also means that residents have a right to utilize their assigned private and communal spaces throughout the day and that a certain level of noise is to be expected within the Housing community, provided the noise is not unduly disruptive. Examples may include the sounds of doors opening and closing, walking, cooking, subdued conversations, etc. 

Credit Requirements

Students residing on campus must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (undergraduate or graduate). Residents who are challenged in their courses and need to withdraw from classes to fewer than 6 credits should schedule a meeting with the Director of Residence Life prior to withdrawing.


Damages to Assigned Bedrooms

Restitution for damages to one’s room or furnishings will be taken from the $300 security deposit, and any additional costs will be charged outright to the student’s account. Upon check-out, or when a resident has been found to vacate his or her room, the condition of the room and its contents will be compared to the conditions documented in the Room Condition Form that was completed when the resident assumed occupancy of the unit. Anything other than regular wear and tear will be charged to the student’s account. This might include damages to walls, broken desk or dresser drawers, torn or stained mattresses or draperies, burn marks, broken windows or mirrors, carpet stains, smoke and other odors, etc. Additionally, missing items, i.e. trash cans, lamps, mattresses, chairs, will be charged to the student’s account. Damages identified during the semester may be charged to a resident’s student account at the time the damages are discovered.

Damages to Common Areas Within Units

For damages to common areas within the living unit, such as to apartment living rooms, kitchens, halls, and bathrooms, as well to suite entryways and bathrooms, the residents will be questioned and the resident responsible for the damages will be charged. If the staff is unable to determine responsibility, the replacement or repair costs will be split between all residents of the suite or apartment and assessed accordingly. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests, so damages caused by non-residents will be charged to the resident who was hosting the individual(s) who caused the damage. Residents are encouraged to report such damages to Student Housing staff when they occur.

Damages to Exterior Spaces

Any resident found to be responsible for damages to or defacement of common areas such as lobbies, porches, the exterior of buildings, or any structures or grounds on university property will be charged costs accordingly.

Resident Communal Responsibility

All residents of a unit are responsible for the condition of common area furnishings, including carpet, vinyl flooring, walls, cabinets, and doors. As tenants, residents are responsible for notification of needed repairs and damages in their assigned unit. Failure to report repairs or damage that results in a problem or issue continuing and causing further damage (ex: water leaks) may result in the assigned resident(s) being charged for repair costs that result from neglect.

Damage Fees

John Pugh Hall Bedroom Furniture

John Pugh Hall Bedroom Furniture Replacement Fees
Replacement Item
Bed Frame (Not Including Dresser)
Desk Chair
Desk Chair Cushion

Apartment and Banfield Hall Bedroom Furniture

Apartment and Banfield Hall Bedroom Furniture Replacement Fees
Replacement Item
Bed Frame
Desk Chair
Desk Hutch

Apartment Communal Area Furniture

Apartment Communal Area Furniture Replacement Fees
Replacement Item
Coffee Table
End Table
Tall Lamp
Short Lamp
Dining Table
Dining Chair

Facility Components

Facility Component Replacement Fees
Replacement Item
Window Screen
Carpet Square


Appliance Replacement Fees
Replacement Item
Range Hood
Communal Washer/Dryer

Housing Communal Area Furniture

Housing Communal Area Furniture Replacement Fees
Replacement Item
Commercial-Grade Lounge Sofa
Commercial-Grade Lounge Loveseat
Commercial-Grade Lounge Chair
Commercial-Grade Lounge Bench
Tall Cafe Table
Tall Cafe Chair
Commercial-Grade Coffee Table
Commercial-Grade End Table
John Pugh Hall Glass Door
Housing Lodge Sofa
Housing Lodge Live-Edge Table
Housing Lodge Coffee Table
Housing Lodge End Table
Housing Lodge Stool
Housing Lodge Bookshelf
Classroom Chair
Bean Bag
Ping Pong Table
Decoration Restrictions

While students are permitted and encouraged to decorate their personal space in a way that is reflective of their personality, interests, and self-expression, decorations that may be offensive or obscene may not be displayed in an area that others can see without entering the personal living space of the roommate or neighbor. For instance, materials or images that may be offensive to others should be kept on walls or surfaces within bedrooms rather than being displayed on doors and walls that can be seen in the hallway or in the common living areas of the apartment or suite. Additionally, such materials should not be displayed in windows or on exterior doors or hallway bulletin boards that subject passersby to the images or material. Students should be aware that offensive materials made visible to others may make for an uncomfortable or hostile living environment, and might even constitute harassment. Ultimately, Student Housing staff may remove such materials that are readily visible to others, or ask residents to do so. Residents are also expected to keep decorations portraying drug and alcohol use or advertisements from being visible outside their unit. This means that beer and alcohol merchandising material, as well as posters depicting marijuana or any such related materials, should not be displayed in windows or on exterior doors or walls. Likewise, alcohol bottles are not to be used as decorations, displayed in window sills or atop refrigerators and shelves. Empty bottles should be recycled and removed from the apartment in a timely fashion after the alcohol has been consumed. Residents under the age of 21 found to have alcohol bottles in their suites or apartments, even if the items are displayed only as decoration, will be disciplined for an alcohol offense, as possession of empty containers still violates the Alcohol Policy. See Alcohol Policy.

Elevator Safety

An elevator has been provided for use within Banfield Hall and the John Pugh Residence Hall. Anyone found tampering with or vandalizing this elevator may be subject to restitution and conduct action. Misuse or abuse of the elevator is also prohibited. Only authorized personnel are allowed in the elevator shaft. If personal items are dropped into the shaft or misuse results in repairs, the resident(s) responsible may be billed for their retrieval or repair costs. Costs associated with maintenance call-outs due to misuse of the elevators (including jumping in elevators) will be charged to student accounts for those found responsible.

Emergency Medical Care

Though it is natural to attempt to help neighbors and friends when they are in need of professional care, residents are urged to avoid the inclination to move or transport injured, sick, or unstable individuals. Driving someone to the hospital, for instance, may be dangerous as conditions may worsen on the way to the hospital or their behavior might create unsafe driving conditions for others in the vehicle. Police, EMTs, First Responders, Firefighters, and other professional emergency response teams are better equipped to transport individuals in need of treatment. If a student is unsure of whether he/she or a friend may need medical care, the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) should be contacted and the Administrator-On-Duty (AOD) will be summoned. The AOD is trained to evaluate the general condition of the affected individual and to decide whether professional care should be requested. Residents are expected to keep their distance from professional emergency response teams that come to campus to allow them to respond to a medical emergency. Residents are also asked to respect the privacy of an individual recieving emergency medical care. If you were a witness to a medical emergency and need to share information regarding that emergency, remain on site but distanced until you can meet with a member of the Residence Life professional staff.

If there is a medical emergency happening, call 911 then contact the RA On-Duty at (907)-209-6539 for the Main Housing Complex or (907)-209-6534 for the John Pugh Residence Hall.

Fire Safety

Resident/Guest Required Evacuation During Alarm

Prompt and complete evacuation of residential campus buildings and facilities is mandatory when a fire alarm is sounded or when so directed by a University official, which includes Resident Advisors (RAs).Residents and guests are expected to depart the building quickly and to stand outside no less than 100 yards from the building just evacuated. Residents should treat all alarms as a real safety threat and evacuate the building. Only a University official or Juneau Fire Department may issue the all clear command, allowing re-entry to the building.

Failure to Evacuate or Failure to Comply with Staff Directive During an Alarm

Individuals who fail to comply with the evacuation provision will be subject to conduct action and a $250 fine.

Fire Alarm System

Housing has a heat and smoke sensitive fire alarm system that is maintained regularly. For safety sake, this system is highly sensitive and on-guard.

Heat and Smoke Sensors

Tampering with the sensors, including removing the sensor or covering the sensor, may set off trouble alarms, which will notify Student Housing staff of the location of the compromised sensor. Heat-emitting appliances, such as hair dryers, have been known to set off trouble alarms when a blast of hot air hits the sensor. Additionally, sensor oxygen deprivation from having been covered with plastic, thus restricting air flow (i.e. by someone smoking in the unit), has also been cause for triggering alarms. Fire Sprinkler Systems Residence Halls and the Housing Lodge maintain sprinkler systems that are sensitive to both heat and pressure. Residents should not tamper with sprinkler heads or hang items from these fixtures. If the sprinkler system is engaged, it would likely cause a minimum of $10,000 in damages with its initial burst before it could be stopped. Damage to these systems caused by a resident, both intentional and/or through negligence, may result in costs being assessed to resident responsible.

Fire Safety Guidelines

To comply with local and state codes and to observe prudent safety precautions, Student Housing will enforce the following fire safety regulations:

  • See the Appliances and Equipment section for a list of approved electrical items.
  • Open flames, including candles, incense, kerosene lamps or stoves, and other similar items are not permitted in any unit. Jar candles may be placed on electric candle warmers, though residents are reminded not to leave the warmer unattended or plugged in for extended periods.
  • No flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, propane, or similar substances may be stored in any unit. Turpentine, kerosene, paint thinner, and similar flammable substances used for camping or art classes may be stored in storage rooms or bathrooms in small quantities, no more than one half-gallon. These should not be stored near heaters or any heat-producing appliances, nor should they be kept in a fashion where they might tip or spill. Additionally, such substances can only be stored in the approved containers in which they were sold. Any flammable substances found in student housing that violate this policy will be confiscated and conduct action will be taken against those responsible for storing such substances.
  • Smoke detectors are not to be covered or blocked.
  • Tampering with the wiring or components of the fire alarm system is not permitted.
  • Fire extinguishers are not to be removed from their proper locations, including the wall-mounted extinguishers in apartments, or to be discharged except in the event of a fire emergency.
  • There is a $100 fine and conduct action for tampering with fire safety equipment, including smoke and heat detectors, pull-boxes, alarms and sirens, sprinkler heads, extinguishers, or fire panels.
  • Fire doors and any other doors with closing mechanisms are to be kept closed at all times except in the event of fire emergency. Fire exits, including foyers at each end of residence hall corridors, may not be blocked with any furniture or objects. They must remain clean and empty at all times.
  • Only university wiring is allowed in residence hall rooms and apartments, and only a reasonable number of standard U.L. approved extension cords may be used. Students should take caution not to overload extension cords and circuits with too many large appliances; televisions, stereos, microwaves, freezers, and other such appliances should be given their own extension cord or be plugged directly into the wall electrical outlet.
  • All approved heat-producing appliances such as hair dryers, coffee pots, popcorn poppers and irons must be plugged directly into wall outlets and unplugged when not in use.
  • Extension cords must be exposed at all times; they may not be placed under carpets or other furnishings.
  • No partitions or wall-like structures are to be installed in housing units by students.
  • Nothing is allowed to block, even partially, any means of egress, including doorways and windows.
  • Furniture placed in front of windows must not be higher than will allow for access to the window sill and for individuals to easily climb over the furniture to escape through the window.
  • Safety signs and markings are not to be tampered with or defaced. Scarves and fabric may not be placed over lamps or paper lanterns.
  • Homemade lamps may be subject to approval or confiscation by Student Housing staff if they pose a high fire risk. See Appliances and Equipment about the halogen lamp policy.
  • Furniture must not rest against rooms with radiator heaters. Wooden furniture such as desks or dressers should be kept at least 4 inches from these heaters.
  • Plush furniture, draperies, bedding, books, paper items, and other more flammable objects and furnishings should be kept 6 inches from heaters.
  • Residents should also realize that roomheaters are most effective at circulating heat when there are not furnishings in front of them obstructing proper air flow.
  • Posters, artwork, photos, and other flammable paper decorations should cover no more than one third of a room's total wall space.
  • The possession of fireworks, firecrackers, or other incendiary devices are prohibited. Anyone found detonating fireworks of any type on campus will be subject to a $100 fine and conduct action, which may include notification of local law enforcement agencies for applicable violations of the law.

University Provided Furniture

Furniture located in units may be moved within the suite or apartment in which it is located so long as no damage results from its movement and the furniture is being used according to its intended purpose. Furniture designed for and initially placed into bedrooms can be moved within that assigned bedroom space, but not elsewhere within the suite or apartment. Residents will be fully accountable for the condition of the room and furnishings within their room during their period of occupancy.

Personal Furnishings

Residents may bring in additional furnishings so long as items are removed upon departure. At no time should common area furnishings be taken into resident units. Examples of this might include residence hall common area furniture being pulled into a suite or apartment living area furnishings, meant for all residents use, being moved to one resident's bedroom.

GPA Policy

Housing and Residence Life at the University of Alaska Southeast is committed to the academic success of all Housing Residents. National data demonstrates that living on campus is correlated with higher GPA’s, higher degree attainment, and better on-time completion. While not a requirement to live on campus, all Housing Staff members are committed to assisting students attain at least a 2.0 cumulative and semester GPA, and to successfully complete at least 75% of attempted credits each semester. All staff members can assist you with referrals to academic supports on campus, including academic advising, the learning and testing center, disability support services, and more. If you are struggling in courses or are simply looking to learn more about academic support services on campus, please connect with a staff member for assistance.


Apartment residents may use personal grills outside of their unit provided they abide the following safety guidelines. Charcoal grills, smokers, or any gasoline or liquefied petroleum gas-fired stove or similar device should be used safely - no less than 15 feet from any structure, including roof overhangs. Electric grills are exempt from this distance requirement; however, please note that smoke allowed to enter into the unit from the porch area may set off the fire sensors in the entry areas.

Guest and Visitation Policies

Residents are welcome to invite visitors and guests to Student Housing. All visitors must be accompanied by a resident while they are present in the Housing community. Guests or visitors may not loiter in Student Housing unattended and will be asked to leave. Guests or visitors will be asked to leave Student Housing if they do not have a host and are not allowed to loiter in any area unattended.

Residents hosting these guests or visitors are personally responsible for their actions. As such, guests and visitors are expected to abide by all University regulations and departmental guidelines and may be asked to leave Housing if they violate any of these standards. A guest without a host will be considered an ‘unauthorized guest’ and be asked to leave.

Residents may not have guests under the age of 16 in Student Housing unless that host is a family member.

Overnight Guests

Any guest who is present in Student Housing between the hours of 10PM-8AM is considered to be an overnight guest. Overnight guests may not remain in Student Housing for two or more nights in succession without being registered as a guest with Housing Desk locations or with the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD).

Guest Sleeping Quarters

Overnight guests are expected to stay in their host’s bedroom, so as not to limit use of the common areas by the other roommates.

Overnight Guest Continuous Chaperoning by Host

Like any guest on premises, it is expected that the hosting resident accompany their guest at all times while they are in Student Housing.

Limitations of Overnight Guests

An individual may not be an overnight guest for more than a total of 10 nights within an academic semester, regardless of who the guest’s host may be.

Residents may not have overnight guests under the age of 16 in Student Housing unless that host is a family member.

Long-term Unregistered Guests

Long-term guests that have not been registered appropriately or who have stayed beyond the limits established for overnight guests will be considered “squatters” or unauthorized tenants. Resident hosts in violation of the guest or overnight guest policies may lose their privilege to host guests and, in the case of “squatters”, have their housing agreement terminated.

Current Residents as Guests

Current UAS housing residents are also subject to the 10 nights per semester limit for staying overnight in other units, as well as all the guidelines for being an overnight guest within a unit that is not their own, including the requirement for registration that demonstrates roommate approval.

Roommates Rights Regarding Guests

If at any time a roommate is uncomfortable with a guest staying in their unit or if they wish to terminate the guest registration of another roommate’s guest, the Student Housing staff will operate in favor of the resident(s) – not the guest or the guest’s host. Therefore, it is in the best interest of both the host and guest to be considerate of the burden extended visitation places on all parties and to work cooperatively with the other residents within the unit to establish guidelines and expectations during the stay.

Guest behavior in common areas including at events and programs is expected to be courteous, respectful, and adhere to Housing policies. If a guest’s behavior in shared spaces creates discomfort among residents, guests may be asked to leave with assistance from Student Housing staff.

Residence Hall Secured Access

The John Pugh Hall and Banfield Hall are locked-entrance facilities accessible only to residents of those buildings via their Student ID. Residents are not to prop entrance doors open or allow access for non-resident individuals that are not their hosted guest.


Hammocks are allowed on campus with the following restrictions:

  • Hammocks when in use outdoors must be securely hung with appropriate mounting hardware (i.e. straps)
  • Hammocks when in use indoors may be hung using only a hammock stand.
  • When using hammocks at a raised location (i.e. the Housing Pavilion), they may not be hung between two poles in such a way that someone could experience a significant fall. Instead, hang the hammock so that it hangs no more than 6 feet off the ground or other surface.
  • Hammocks may not be utilized on fire escapes, in accordance with the Roof and Exerior Elevated Surfaces policy.
  • Camping or sleeping overnight in hammocks is not permitted outdoors at Student Housing.
Illegal Substances and Marijuana

Due to the federal funding and grants UAS and its students recieve annually, the possession, use or sale of drugs and narcotics, including marijuana, as specified by the State of Alaska and federal laws and regulations, is not allowed on campus, including Student Housing. Any resident(s) involved in such actions will be subject to the conduct process and considered for major sanctions to include, but not limited to, eviction.


Each resident is assigned a unit key and a mailbox key upon arrival and are expected to be responsible for any keys issued to them. Residents should report lost or misplaced keys as soon as possible.

Lost or misplaced keys must be reported to a Housing Desk location and can be replaced by filling out the Lost Key Form with desk staff.

Replacement charges, which often include not only cutting of a new key but of re-coring all locks in an apartment or suite that the lost key can access, are listed below:

Key Replacement Fees
Key TypeReplacement Fee
Single Room Door Key$150.00
Mailbox Key$25.00
Temporary Swipe Access Card$10.00
Staff-issued Lodge Door Key$250.00

Keys and key cards are the property of the UAS; duplication and unauthorized possession of University keys are prohibited. Additionally, only authorized lock hardware may be installed on University property. All others will be removed.

Students in possession of unauthorized keys will be subject to conduct action. Fines for possession of unauthorized keys or failure to turn in keys at the end of one's residency term will be applied to the student account.

Residents' Responsibilities with ID Cards

Residents will need a Whale Card, or UAS student identification card, for building access, laundry system use, and to checkout items at Housing Desk locations. These ID cards are considered keys and should be treated as such. (See Keys.) Housing residents' cards provide them with access to areas of Housing that may not be accessible to every resident or to other UAS non-resident students. These ID cards also allow users to load money to the Whalebucks account assigned to the card. Residents are not allowed to let others use their ID cards and should report lost or stolen cards as soon as possible to protect the security of the Housing community, as well as to protect the funds they have loaded onto the card.

Kitchen Communal Use in Residence Halls

Our Residence Hall kitchens are available for resident use only. Residents should clean up after themselves immediately as these kitchens are shared with 80 to 120 other residents. The Student Housing custodial staff will not clean up personal messes in this area. Staff reserves the right to restrict access to the kitchen when lack of cleaning becomes a continual, persistent problem. Cleaning up one’s own mess quickly to allow others access is a communal living obligation.

Laundry Rooms

Laundry rooms are located on the ground-level floor of the Housing Lodge, on the first floor of Banfield Hall, and on the second floor of John Pugh Hall. NOTE: Only Residence Hall residents will have access to Residence Hall laundry facilities. Residents are discouraged from leaving their personal items unattended during the laundry cycle. Student Housing is not responsible for items lost, stolen, or damaged during the laundry process, and residents are discouraged from leaving their items unattended. Additionally, security cameras are constantly recording in the laundry rooms. Items left in the laundry rooms should be reported to Residence Life Staff for removal.


Resident lockouts requiring assistance between the hours of 7AM and midnight will incur $5 fee per occurrence. Lockouts between the hours of midnight and 7AM will incur a $10 fee per occurrence. Residents are responsible for keeping up with their own keys. Occasionally, after repeated lockouts, residents may be referred to meet with the Student Housing professional staff to discuss the nature of such reoccurrences. Additionally, residents should report lost keys immediately.

Mail Forwarding

Student Housing will forward resident mail for up to 30 days after move-out to the address given on the move-out date. Pre-sorted standard stamped mail, magazines, non-profit mailings, and other advertisements will not be forwarded. Packages may be forwarded with a $35 charge per package.

Meal Plans

All residents must purchase a meal plan for the academic year. Meal plans start on the day of housing move-in and end on day of housing move-out. The meal plan cost is non-refundable, nontransferable, and the remaining balance, if any, expires at the end of each semester.

Mounting to Walls

Nails, screws, plant hooks, or anything that embeds itself into the wall or surface may not be put into the walls. Students should refrain from using duct, transparent, double-sided, or packaging tape, etc., as they may damage the paint and leave adhesive residue, which will result in charges for repair to the damaged area. Scotch tape works well for affixing photos and small posters to walls and doors. Products such as 3M’s Command Adhesive hooks work well for mounting bulletin boards, banners, etc., and are non-marring and easily removable. To install posters, pictures, etc., removable adhesive putty is recommended. Please note that while thumbtacks are not prohibited, damage (holes) caused by thumbtacks are not considered to be reasonable and accepted wear and tear and such repairs (labor and materials) will be charged to the resident(s) responsible. 

No Shows

Residents who fail to check into their unit by midnight after the first day of instruction will be declared a ‘no show’ for that semester. Their room assignment will be cancelled and deposit forfeited, unless the Housing Office has been notified in advance.

Notice to Quit

In instances when Student Housing has terminated a resident’s Housing Agreement, whether for conduct infractions or policy violations, non-payment, health and safety issues, or other reasons, the resident will be notified by the Director of Housing & Residence Life in writing in the form of an eviction letter, also called a Notice-to-Quit.

Appeal Process

Any eviction appeals must be addressed in writing prior to the eviction deadline. A pending appeal response does not entitle the evicted student an extension on their vacate deadline.

Effect on Future Housing Eligibility

Residents who cooperate and meet their eviction deadline without incident may reapply for student housing in future semesters, but are not guaranteed acceptance.

Eviction Notice Term

The University needs only to provide a 10 day notice of an eviction deadline.

Legal Implications

If a resident does not respond properly to the issued eviction notice, Student Housing will retain legal representation and apply to the legal system for a writ of assistance in removal of the resident. All legal fees and court costs will be charged to the resident if the matter is brought to court.

Non-Allowed Items

Some items are not allowed in Housing due to fire-safety, state or federal law, or university regulation. A full list of items not allowed in Student Housing is below along with a reference as to why that item is not allowed. 

Non-allowed items may be confiscated and conduct or legal action may be taken against residents who bring non-allowed items onto Student Housing property. Often times a resident will be notified in writing that a contraband item must be removed from Housing before it is confiscated. However, the University reserves the right to confiscate certain items that pertain to safety immediately without prior notice to the resident.

Non-Allowed items and Reasons
Firearms, Explosives, other Weapons, or AmmunitionPersonal Safety, University Regulation
Fireworks, firecrackers, or other pyrotechnic or incendiary productsFire Safety
Marijuana and illegal substancesState/Federal Law
Drug paraphernalia such as bongs, bubblers, pipes, bowls, hookahs, etc.Fire Safety and/or State/Federal Law
Halogen Lamps w/o completely enclosed tops or on flexible standsFire Safety
Wireless Routers or Access PointsWireless Device Policy - Cause wireless interferance
Space Heaters w/ exposed heating elementsFire Safety
Air Conditioning UnitsUtility Costs
WaterbedsTo prevent unit damage
Burning incense or candlesFire Safety
Large quantities of kerosene, gasoline, laboratory chemicals, blasting caps, motor oil, or acidsFire Safety
Dart BoardsTo prevent unit damage
Live holiday decorations such as Christmas Trees, wreaths, or garlandFire Safety
DishwashersTo prevent unit damage
Toaster ovens & pizza ovens; regular drop-in style toasters are permittedFire Safety
Buffet ranges and single-coil heating elementsFire Safety
Tanning beds or hot tubsFire Safety, Utility costs
Kilns or other industrial or commercial appliancesFire Safety
Engines, hydraulic tools, generators, or other large mechanical piecesTo prevent unit damage
Parking Policy

Allowable Vehicles

Allowable vehicles for parking at Student Housing include non-commercial automobiles and motorcycles. Trailers, RV’s, ATV’s, Snowmachines, or other similar vehicles are not permitted. Residents who may need to temporarily bring a trailer to campus should contact Residence Life prior to the trailer’s arrival to ensure that a plan is in place for proper use a timely removal of the trailer. Non-allowed vehicles found to be parked on the Housing lot will be towed if the registered owner cannot be identified - see Abandoned Vehicles, below. Non-allowable vehicles attributed to a housing resident will be assessed a $25/day charge until removed when a pre-approved plan has not been created with Residence Life for temporary storage of that vehicle in the parking lot.

Parking Spaces

All parking spaces atop University Drive in the housing complex require a parking permit; therefore, each allowable vehicle must be registered and permitted. As a courtesy, residents are eligible to register one allowable vehicle for no additional charge as part of their Housing Agreement.

Parking Registration

Residents are required to register their vehicles. To learn more about registration, visit the Vehicle Registration webpage. Once registered, the registration is good for the entire academic year from August to August provided the individual registering the vehicle continues to be a resident within the Housing community. A permit becomes invalid for use if an individual is no longer a current resident. Permits may be re-used for more than one year provided the resident continues to submit a parking registration form annually and maintains active residency on campus.

Permit Placement

The permit decal should be placed in the lower passenger-side corner of the windshield, visible for staff inspection.

Permit Fraud

Individuals found to possess an invalid or stolen permit on their windshield, or residents are found to have given or lent their permit to the driver of an unregistered vehicle will be fined $50 and be subjected to conduct action. Temporary short-term parking permits are available at Housing Desk locations for special circumstances.

Parking Violations

Parking Violations and Fees
Violation TypeFee
Unregistered vehicles without permit$25
Parked in handicap, service fire zones and areas$100
Parked in restricted or reserved space$50
Prolonged inoperable condition of vehicle$25/day
Parked in non-designated space$50
Vehicle occupying more than one space$25
Resident parked in visitor space$15
Failure to Move Vehicle for Posted Snow Plowing$30
DMV License Plate Research Administrative Fee$10


Street-legal, licensed motorcycles may be registered as the one vehicle per resident. A small parking area has been created for motorcycle use, and it is recommended that owners use that area for parking. Motorcycle use on premises is limited to personal transportation purposes only. Excessive noise from repeated revving of the engine is discouraged as it disturbs other residents. Use of the parking lot and driveways for trick riding, that may be considered recreational use of the motorcycle, is prohibited.

Parking Lot and Driveway Guidelines

In order to provide for the protection of pedestrians, to keep fire lanes clear, and to avoid unnecessary expense for campus maintenance, it is the policy of Student Housing that motor vehicles are not permitted to be operated or parked on campus malls, sidewalks, and lawns. The following vehicles may be operated on campus malls, sidewalks and lawns without special approval by Facilities Services or Residence Life:

  • Emergency vehicles (police, fire, medical, etc.)
  • Approved vehicles for handicap use
  • Certain maintenance and operating vehicles
  • Snow removal and grass cutting equipment
  • Mail, fuel, and commercial delivery vehicles

Student-owned vehicles may not park up on sidewalks, on the walkways between apartment buildings, or on the access road to the rear of Banfield Hall or John Pugh Hall unless they have gained approval from a Residence Life staff member to move heavy belongings in or out. Residents may not drive on sidewalks and walkways simply to unload groceries or other such items; the gates will remain open for residents to move in and out of their apartments at the start and end of each semester.

Specially-marked spaces are reserved with posted signs, including Housing vehicle spaces, maintenance vehicle spaces, and handicap spaces. Students and their guests may not park along curbs, on grass, or on the street anywhere in the housing complex. Additionally, vehicles may not be parked in front of dumpster sheds or in the areas marked off with diagonal yellow lines. Fines will be assessed to drivers who park inappropriately.

All residents, staff and guests are expected to abide by posted speed limit signs. The parking lot area experiences high pedestrian traffic, so it is very important to proceed slowly through the parking lot area. Also, the flow of traffic in the parking lot veers to the right upon entrance and moves counter-clockwise through the lot. Failure to follow the directional flow of the parking lot is considered a moving violation.

Reserved Spaces for University Staff and Designated ADA/Disabled Parking

Unauthorized vehicles parked in reserved parking spaces may be ticketed and/or towed. The parking violation fee for this type of offense is $50 for staff and service vehicle spots and $100 for ADA/Disabled accessible spots.

Inoperable Vehicles

Student Housing reserves the right to request that residents demonstrate their vehicles are operational by having them start their vehicle and drive it, without mechanical assistance, to be relocated to a different parking spot. Vehicles have to be operational to be registered and parked in the Housing lot. If a vehicle is determined to not be in operational condition, the registrant may face a $25 per day charge until the vehicle is repaired or removed. Residents may work with the Director of  Residence Life to establish a plan of action with deadlines for repairs to be made to avoid unnecessary fines.

Abandoned Vehicles

Vehicles left in the Student Housing complex parking lots located at 4300 University Drive for more than 7 days without being registered to a current Housing resident may be considered abandoned and will be towed from the premises. The charges incurred will become the responsibility of the student who registered it with Residence Life, or if unregistered, the vehicle's DMV registered owner. For special parking circumstances, see the Housing Desk locations about temporary short-term guest permits.

Vehicle Damage or Accidents

Report all vehicle accidents, losses, or vandalism to the Housing Desk locations or to the Resident Advisor On-Duty. Staff will assist residents with documentation of situations and/or with contacting local law enforcement. The University assumes no liability for loss or damage to vehicles parked on the University campus.

Pavilion Policies

The Pavilion in Student Housing has two charcoal grills that can be used at any time for cooking. Residents must provide their own charcoal and supervise the grill at all times when it is in use and take the proper measures to ensure that the fire is put out properly when finished. The Pavilion is also subject to Housing's quiet and courtesy hours.

Permitted Appliances

The following equipment may be brought into residence hall rooms or apartments:

  • Heat-producing appliances without exposed heating elements are permitted. These include:
    • Irons
    • Electric blankets
    • Hair curlers & hair dryers
    • Coffee-makers, hot pots, popcorn poppers, George Foreman grills, air fryers, toasters, electric kettles, electric woks, and griddles. These items may only be used on approved flat surfaces in kitchens and bathroom counters, or on other stable, flat, non-flammable surfaces such as tables, countertops, or similar structures.
  • Mini Fridge: One refrigerator is permitted in each student bedroom if it is no more than five cubic feet in size and draws no more than 1.7 amps. These units are intended for limited storage of snack items, medicines, etc.
  • Secondary Freezer/Refrigerator: In the apartments, a single deep freezer or an additional refrigerator may be placed in the storage room only.
  • Washer/Dryer: Residents in two-bedroom apartments – Aurora, Bear, Coho, and Deer Buildings, are allowed to hook up a washer and dryer in the storage room within their apartments, so long as the appliances are in safe, operable order. Regular maintenance and lint removal is expected to reduce fire risk. These appliances must be removed upon vacating. As these appliances could yield serious damage if they were to malfunction, residents may want to consider renter’s insurance.
Personal Hygiene

Students who elect to reside in a communal environment, such as the one student housing provides, should be conscious of how their lifestyle, habits, and cleanliness might affect those whom they share living space with. In cases where residents have concerns about the hygiene or sanitation habits of a roommate, the roommate will be addressed by a staff member and informed that his or her personal lifestyle is disturbing others. To maintain a communal environment, action items may be suggested or required of the roommate to remedy the concern.

Suggestions/Guidelines for Personal Hygiene

In essence, residents should realize that maintaining relaxed hygiene or cleanliness standards is often not conducive for living in close spaces with others who do not share the same lifestyle. In the interest of helping to promote healthy habits, personal wellness, and a pleasant living environment for all students in unit, the following hygiene and cleanliness standards should be observed.

  • Shower and wash hair several times per week, or daily.
  • Use antiperspirant and/or deodorant if body odor becomes an issue.
  • Clean clothing, bath towels, and bed linens regularly with laundry detergent.
  • Do not leave soiled laundry sitting in the room.
  • Clean dishes soon after use and remove trash that may contain food or in a reasonable time frame.
  • Vomit, blood, and other bodily fluids or biohazards should be cleaned immediately with a disinfecting cleaning solution.
Porches and Facility Exteriors

To maintain a neat and aesthetic appearance within student housing and to prevent clutter from creating fire code violations and to promote a safe evacuation path, Student Housing limits the amount and type of personal belongings that may be stored on porches, on the grounds, and on facility exteriors. Porch items are limited to planting containers, BBQ grills, all-weather outdoor seating, and seasonal decorations (including miniature light strands). Bicycles, children’s toys, garbage, tires and auto parts, and other such items may not be left on porches, alongside the buildings, in the parking lot, or on the grounds. Additionally, at no time should any of the University-owned interior furnishings, including chairs, be left on porches or on the grounds.

Residents may not alter landscaping or create flowerbeds or gardens outside their apartments or elsewhere on the grounds.

Private Room Requests

If vacancies occur in double occupancy bedrooms due to the withdrawal, relocation, or no-show of an assigned student, the remaining resident has the following options:

  • Pay the additional single supplement fee necessary to occupy the room for the remainder of the semester as a private room.
  • Request a room placement with someone who currently has no roommate.
  • Allow Student Housing to assign a new resident to the room or agree to move to another room that has only one occupant. 
Public Postings and Art in Public Places

Public postings, including art, advertisements, or promotional materials, may not be hung in any common area, public place, or outdoor space without the approval of Student Housing staff. 

Bulletin Boards

A communal posting bulletin board is located in the Housing Lodge close to the stairwell. All postings must be approved by the Housing Desk locations before posting. Bulletin boards are scattered throughout the Housing community and are changed out monthly by Resident Advisors (RAs), per staff approval. Vandalizing these boards may lead to disciplinary action.

Sidewalk Chalking and Window Painting

Individuals or groups wishing to place chalked messages on sidewalks or cement walls, or use window paint on glass areas, must request permission of Student Housing staff. Failure to do so will result in the persons or organization responsible being charged for the cost of removal of the messages and possible judicial action.

Flyers, Etc.

University-related event and student organization flyers must be approved for posting by Student Housing staff. Group leaders or program coordinators may submit their flyers to the Housing Lodge Desk or John Pugh Hall Desk for approval. Postings found elsewhere that have not been approved will be removed and disposed of. Flyers may not be posted on glass doors, where they might cover fire alarms, smoke detectors, etc. Postings that are not University-related are restricted to the designated communal posting board, upon approval.

Additional information can be found in the UAS Campus Posting Policy 

Quiet Hours

Quiet hours are observed and enforced community-wide from 10PM until 8AM each day. Staff patrol the exteriors to enforce Quiet Hours outside on Student Housing grounds and within public areas of the Housing Lodge and Residence Halls. During this time, loud noise from inside a unit should not be audible outside of the unit. Noise levels should not interrupt others choosing to sleep or study. Be aware that sound carries easily between the apartment buildings and parking lots, and especially from the pavilion into the nearby apartments and suites. Residents may call the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) to report noise issues for further investigation.

Renter's Insurance

The University does not assume any responsibility for loss or damage of personal property as a result of theft, vandalism, and/or natural disaster. It is highly recommended that each student have some type of insurance to cover personal belongings while living in the Housing community as rates are reasonably affordable. Residents may be covered on their parent’s homeowner insurance policy or may want to purchase separate insurance, commonly referred to as “renter’s insurance”

Roof and Exterior Elevated Surfaces

The regulations regarding fire safety and use of exterior elevated surfaces of campus buildings are very serious and explicit. Entering surfaces such as roofs, fire escapes, terraces, balconies or ledges above the first floor is strictly prohibited, except in emergencies. Similarly, climbing up the side of the pavilion, balconies, or fire escapes by means other than the intended staircases meant for safe access is prohibited. The University will take disciplinary action on a first offense, possibly including the imposition of a fine.

Room Changes

Students are permitted to change rooms during the course of an academic year, but only after the first two weeks of classes are completed, if alternative space is available.

Administrative-Initiated Room Changes and Consolidation

The University reserves the right to close a residence or reassign residents to another comparable unit when the unit is no longer fully occupied, when premises are unsuitable for residence, or when it is deemed necessary for health, safety, financial, or disciplinary reasons.

Room Change Request Process

Room change requests may be directed to a Housing Desk location and will be forwarded appropriately to staff (Email: Before approval is granted, roommates experiencing conflict are expected to actively engage in formal conflict mediation with a Resident Advisor (RA) and to make a genuine attempt to uphold compromises and agreements for a reasonable period of time.

Room Change Fees

Any unauthorized room change will result in an automatic charge of $100.

Room Modification

Residents may not structurally alter their rental units in any way. Cosmetic alterations should consist entirely of approved decorations as permitted in the preceding section of this handbook. Students may not paint the walls or cabinetry, hang wallpaper or decorative borders, or remove or change fixtures such as overhead lights or appliances. Students may not construct walls or partitions within the unit. Bolts and hooks may not be used to secure personal furnishings to walls, floors, or ceilings.

Roommate Agreements

UAS Student Housing requires all residents to complete a Roommate Agreement in order to ensure proper communication regarding expectations within shared units. Please meet with your roommate within the first week  of move in to complete your roommate agreement. All residents are expected to approve their roommate agreement, and Student Housing staff will be able to view and suggest changes, if needed.

Roommate Assignment

Student Housing makes placements using student's reported gender identity unless a Gender Inclusive Housing form is submitted prior to assignment. Roommate and room assignments are made a the sole discretion of the University. Students may request a speciific roommate but these requests are never guaranteed. The University makes every effort to ensure that all roommate requests are mutual, however, there are limited roommate options on a small campus. If you would prefer to not live with a specific person, you should contact Residence Life.

Safety and Security Emergencies

Dangers such as physical/sexual assault and domestic violence, threat with a deadly weapon, burglary, fire, and other imminent risks should be reported to the police by dialing 9-1-1 (dial 8+911 on campus phones) before being referred to the RA on duty. Other emergency situations of lesser threats should still be relayed to the Resident Advisor On-Duty (RAOD) such as unruly behavior, trespassers, dangerous conditions in the facilities or on the grounds of housing, etc.

Scooters, Skateboards and Roller Skates

Non-motorized transportation devices, such as scooters, skateboards and roller-skates, as well as bicycles and unicycles, may use the Housing sidewalks, walkways and campus trails provided they are being used safely for personal transportation use, in a manner that is non-threatening to pedestrian traffic and is not a disturbance/nuisance to the Housing community.


UAS employs professional and paraprofessional student staff members who are well-trained in crisis response and conflict management. Residents are expected to follow the directives from all UAS employees to help ensure a safe and inviting communal environment. Additionally, security cameras are located throughout the housing complex and in residence hall buildings, which are constantly recording. Information gathered from these devices may be submitted for campus conduct investigations as well as  turned over to local law enforcement as appropriate.

Service and Assistance Animals

Reasonable accomodations can be made for service and assistance animals under the Fair Housing Act (FHA) and the Americans wih Disabilities Act (ADA).

The University requres certain documentation to demonstrate a need for said animal, which must be recieved and reviewed by Disability Support Services before meeting with a Residence Life Professional Staff member.

Student Housing will permit a resident's animal to live in their assigned bedroom and, in the resident's presence, within the common areas of Student Housing. Permission is subject to conditions outlined below, which describes specific UAS policies regarding service and assistance animals as well as a resident's responsibility with their animal while living on campus. Failure to complay with the policies outlined within a signed aggreement may lead to the animal being removed from Student Housing.

  1. Vaccination/Licensing:All approved animals must be properly vaccinated and licensed with the City and Borough of Juneau. All animals must also be spayed or neutered. Required tags must be present on the animal at all times. The owner must submit proof of vaccination and license to Student Housing annually. The University reserves the right to request current records at any time during the animal's residency.
  2. Changes: A resident who no longer has a service/assistance animal living with them must notify Disability Services in writing when the animal is no longer needed or present. To replace an approved animal, the owner must also request an updated accommodation letter from Disability Services and submit vaccination and license information to Student Housing.
  3. Financial Responsibility: The owner is financially responsibile for any damage to property or injury to individuals caused by the animal. 
  4. Restrictions: The approved anumal must be contained within the owner's individual unit at all times, except when transported outside the unit via animal carrier, leash, or harness. Service animals are welcome in all buildings on campus in order to perform their work. Assistance animals are not allowed in campus buildings outside of Student Housing. The owner of any approved animal must keep the animal under restraint and under supervision at all times while it is outside of the owner's individual unit. Animals may not be tethered to University buildings, structures, motor vehicles, trees, railings, light poles, benches, posts, or other structures. Animals may not be kept on permanent or semi-permanent "runs" outside of units. "Runs" or other isntallations will be removed by University staff.
  5. Extended/Overnight Absences: Owners are expected to be with their service/assistance animals regularly. Leaving a service or assistance animal in housing overnight or for an extended period of time without the owner present is inappropriate. If an owner will not be in the residence for more than 10 hours, they must find alternative accomodations for the animal. owners may not leave their animals with another roommate, nor may the animal stay in another unit. The animal should travel with the resident or stay in a local kennel while the resident is away.
  6. Animal Cleanliness: Owners are responsibile for the cleanliness of their animals. This includes the personal hygiene of the animal (being bathed regularly) as well as the cleanliness of UAS facilities, including the individual unit and exterior walkways, lawn areas, etc. Animal waste (indoor and outdoor) must be removed and properly disposed of immediately -- failure to do so will result in cleaning charges and/or removal of the animal. An owner must arrange for an appropriate cleaning service if the owner is physically unable to remove and dispose of animal waste. 
  7. Roommate Permission: By signing an agreement, the resident acknowledges that Student Housing will contact roommates who will be placed within the same unit in order to obtain their approval to live with a service or assistance animal. Confidential information (such as the resident's name, specific diagnoses, etc.) will not be shared. If a roommate does not agree to leaving with an animal, either the owner and animal or the roommate will be relocated to a different unit. 
  8. University Compliance: The owner must agree to follow all other UAS Residence Life and campus policies. Reasonable accommodation, which is an exception to the UAS pet policy, does not constitute an exception to any other policy. 
  9. Removal of Animal: The University may remove a service or asstiance animal when 1) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, 2) when the owner does not comply with the policies set forth within these policies, 3) when the animal or its presence creates an unmaneagble disturbance or interference with the University of Alaska Southeast community, or 4) when the animal's presence fundamentally alters the nature of a program or activity.
Sidewalks, Walkways and Campus Trails

Unauthorized motorized vehicles are prohibited on Housing sidewalks, walkways, and campus trails. Authorized use includes University personnel, law enforcement or Fire Department, and other safety personnel and crisis responders. Temporary authorized access may be granted upon request for those moving into or out of units or for special circumstances, i.e. for moving large items, or for accommodation to assist with accessibility difficulties. Staff will work to make these areas reasonably accessible during these times, provided that this use does not interfere with safety personnel access.

Smoking Policy

All Student Housing property, both external and including enclosed buildings within Student Housing, including Banfield Hall, the Housing Lodge, John Pugh Hall, and the apartments, are smoke and tobacco free. Smoking within the residential units carries a steep penalty in addition to cleaning charges.

  • Tobacco use is prohibited in every Student Housing building, including student residences, as well as in the managed university vehicles. Students found to have been smoking in their unit will be charged a $250 fine and may be assessed a fee to cover professional cleaning costs of the room, shampooing of the carpeting, etc.
  • Vaping and electronic cigarettes (“e-cigs”) are both prohibited in Student Housing units, as well, due to interference with smoke detectors and false positive alarms that can result.
  • Any violations of the above policy may also result in conduct action as Failure to Comply with university directive.
Snow Removal

Periodically through the winter, it is necessary for Facilities Services to plow the housing parking lots. It is imperative for residents to cooperate in moving their vehicles to properly facilitate this process. It is far easier and more efficient to plow the entire length of an empty lot rather than to work around a few vehicles, leaving unplowed spaces. Generally, either the upper lot or the lower lot will be plowed so that vehicles may be moved to the opposite lot. Residents will notification via email with a minimum of 24 hours' notice. Residents are expected to make arrangements to move their vehicles at some point before the posted plow time has been scheduled. In the spring the same process is used to sweep the gravel from the lots that has accumulated over the winter. There is a $25 fine for failure to move a vehicle for a posted plowing.

Soliciting and Other Commercial Activity

Solicitation is prohibited in UAS Student Housing. Solicitation includes the act of seeking by persuasion, plea, or formal application of one’s audience, money, or influence. This may include door-to-door visitations by individuals selling merchandise, sharing religious or political beliefs, or requesting participation in surveys or petitions. This policy helps protects the privacy and security of residents. Report any solicitation in Student Housing immediately to the Student Housing staff or to the RA On-Duty. Solicitation for the benefit of a recognized student club or organization on campus must be approved by Student Housing in advance.

Selling merchandise in Student Housing is prohibited. Residents may not operate a business out of their rented Housing unit. They may not create a display in a common area, receive customers at their door, or approach residents in an attempt to sell their wares. They may not purchase food or other items and sell them at a profit to their neighbors. Residents wishing to sell personal items, such as books, furniture, computers, and vehicles may do so as a one-time sale by advertising these items on the public posting bulletin boards on campus or in the Lodge.

Sound Equipment and Musical Instruments

Stereos are permitted in student rooms, but residents are expected to exercise the utmost consideration in their use. Every resident is responsible for maintaining an atmosphere within the residential environment that is conducive to study and respectful of the needs of others. Stereos, radios, and musical instruments should be played at moderate volume levels.

Drum sets may not be played in Student Housing due to the high degree of noise disturbance they create, even when muffled, but they may be stored in units for off-campus use. Drummers are encouraged to use practice pads separate from the drum set.

Electric amplifiers and keyboards may be used at a reasonable volume and bass level until Quiet Hours. During Quiet Hours, residents may use headphones with these devices.

Non-electric musical instruments such as guitars and wind instruments, etc., may only be played before Quiet Hours at reasonable volumes.

If at any time during the day musicians and those with bass-rich sound systems are asked by neighbors or staff to cease or quiet their playing, they are expected to comply.

Staff Access to Residential Units

The Residence Life Staff respects the privacy of its residents; however, there are situations that may warrant staff entry into units, including maintenance and repair work, as well as reasonable suspicion of behaviors that may be considered violations of the terms of the Housing Agreement.

Right of Staff Re-Entry

UAS Residence Life Staff respects the privacy of its resident yet reserves the right to re-enter and take possession of the accommodations upon breach of the terms of the Housing Agreement. Authorized university staff may enter the rental unit, with notice, during reasonable hours to provide efficient services, repairs, improvements or for general inspection. The Housing Maintenance Coordinator or Facilities Services staff may enter the unit to attend to any work orders that were submitted by one of the residents, granting permission for University personnel to enter the premises for that explicit purpose.

Work Order Completion

The Housing Maintenance Coordinator or Facilities Services staff may enter the unit to attend to any work orders that were submitted by one of the residents, granting permission for University personnel to enter the premises for that explicit purpose.

Unannounced Entry

Authorized Residence Life Staff or Facilities Services personnel may enter the accommodations without notice when necessary for the safety of the student or other occupants of housing units, for the purpose of emergency maintenance services or emergency safety inspections, or when there is reason to believe that the terms and conditions of the Housing Agreement are being violated and the residents are not willingly granting the staff entrance after they have announced themselves and their intention to enter. To protect student privacy, staff shall never enter student residences except for the reasons listed above. 

Room Searches

Any search of a student room or apartment, beyond a minimally intrusive alcohol search conducted by Resident Advisors (RAs) in the presence of the resident(s), will be carried out only with reasonable cause and with explicit authorization of a professional staff member. Should such a search be necessary, an attempt will be made to have the resident present at the time of the search. If the resident is not present, he/she will be informed of the action as soon as possible following the search. Common areas and general space searches may be conducted by Resident Advisors (RAs) with the residents’ assistance in their presence, and any more detailed or invasive searches, especially if the resident of the unit cannot be reached or notified before the search must commence, will be conducted only by Student Housing professional staff designee in the presence of a second staff member. Students who do not cooperate with staff exercising the right of re-entry may be reported to the Juneau Police Department, who will likely respond by conducting a police search or forced entry into the unit.

Staff Entry Process

When entering a unit, either with prior notice given to residents or without (see indication of unannounced entry above), university staff will knock and announce themselves multiple times prior to entering. If not met at the door by the resident(s), staff will continue to announce themselves upon entering the unit. 

Please note that staff may not respond to verbal consent from the resident to "come in" and will likely wait at the door until the resident opens the door. This is done to avoid any miscommunication as it can be very hard to clearly hear a verbal response from behind a closed door.

Storing Items for Others

If a residents accepts another resident’s personal items to store for them, that individual accepts full responsibility for those items, including the responsibility to remove or relocate those items, as well as damage or loss of said items. As far as Student Housing is concerned, the individual holding those items is the owner of those items.


Fuel oil for heating is the most expensive utility cost for the Housing community. Furniture should be placed 6-12 inches away from radiators (present in Banfield Hall and apartment units) to allow for heat circulation within the unit. Residents are asked to refrain from leaving windows open during the winter months as it makes temperature regulation difficult for the system and may cause pipes to freeze. Residents experiencing difficulties maintaining a comfortable room temperature should submit a work order at Housing Desk locations. Student Housing staff can assist with these issues and offer other tips for maintaining unit temperature.

Unauthorized Pets

Residents found with unauthorized pets inside Housing units will be subject to a $100 fine, which may be assigned to each resident within the unit if no one accepts responsibility for the animal’s presence, as well as possible conduct review. Additional cleaning fees may also apply and the pet will be expected to be removed immediately from the premises. Unauthorized animals or pets may not visit Housing units for even short periods of time.

Weapons Policy

UAS Student Housing recognizes the interest of residents who are hunters and/or recreational target shooters and provides guidelines by which residents can register and secure their firearms and weapons on-site through our established security process.

“Firearms” or “weapons” that must be handled in accordance with the above policy include:

  • Firearms
  • Paintball guns, air guns, pellet guns, BB guns
  • Ammunition
  • Knives and blades longer than 2.5 inches that were not designed for kitchen use
  • Martial arts weapons and swords
  • Bows, crossbows, and similar hunting implements
  • Other objects commonly understood to be designed as hunting equipment

Fireworks, incendiary devices, explosives, tranquilizer guns, and tasers or stun guns not be brought to campus under any circumstances.Disciplinary action will be taken against any student found to be in violation of this rule, up to and including probationary status, removal from housing, expulsion from the university, or legal action through coordination with local law enforcement.

Cleaning Firearms

Students may make an appointment in advance to clean their firearms. A safe, discrete location will be provided with a professional staff member on-hand for supervision. The student will be required to show that the weapon is empty of any ammunition and that they are not in possession of any ammunition.

Permanent Removal of Weapon and Abandoned Weapons

If a weapon will be removed from campus permanently, the weapons agreement must be formally terminated. Unclaimed weapons left in lockers after the student has checked out of housing will be secured and disposed of appropriately. Weapons found in unauthorized locations on campus will be secured pending conduct proceedings.

Additional Notes

  • Weapons must be registered with the department before they will be accepted into storage. All weapons must be approved by the Director of Housing & Residence Life before being stored in Housing, approved weapons must be stored immediately in the secured weapons facility within a weapons locker, and the resident must provide his or her own key‐operated padlock.
  • Residents are allowed to store no more than five (5) total firearms or other weapons in storage lockers.
  • AR-style weapons are not considered appropriate firearms to be stored in University secured storage for the purpose of hunting and/or recreational target shooting.
  • Weapons checkout request forms must be completed and submitted to the Housing Lodge Desk no less than 24 hours prior to the requested checkout time. The Lodge Desk will then take the form and arrange a checkout with a professional staff member. Students will be guaranteed access only with a checkout appointment scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
  • The agreement is revocable at any time at the discretion of Student Housing professional staff or higher level administrator; due process and written notice will be provided.
  • A staff member of the department reserves the right to deny access to residents deemed unfit to manage their weapon, such as in states of inebriation or agitation. The University also reserves the right to turn over weapons to the police in following situations: if they are abandoned, if the agreement has been violated, or if the resident has had significant conduct issues which have been addressed through the conduct process.
  • The University accepts no responsibility of the owner, and accommodation for weapons upkeep is outlined in the above policy. Residents store weapons in campus storage at their own risk. Damages or losses caused by water, fire, or other events will not be reimbursed by UAS.
Wellness Checks

UAS Housing reserves the right to conduct wellness checks on residents. A wellness check occurs when university staff respond to a resident unit to check on the safety or well-being of a student. The decision to conduct a wellness check is not taken lightly as consideration is taken into account of the student's privacy in comparison to the reported concern and level of risk to the student's safety or well-being. 

Authorized Student Housing staff may enter the accommodations without notice when necessary for the safety of the student or other occupants of housing units.


Window decorations cannot cover more than 10% of the window and must be in compliance with existing Porches and Facility Exteriors and the Campus Posting Policy.  Exterior facing decorations are considered part of the facility exterior as this is visible to the public. Residents are not permitted to remove the screens from their residence hall room, apartment, or common area windows. Screens can be easily damaged by removal and residents will be responsible for replacement or repair costs of damaged or missing screens. There will be an automatic fine of $25 if any screen is found removed from a window. The cost for screen replacement is $100, which will be charged to the resident’s account. If a resident finds a window screen to be missing they should submit a work order to have them replaced. Additionally, windows should only be used as a point of exit of a unit in the case of emergency purposes only.

Wireless Internet and Wireless Device Policy

Wireless internet access is readily available throughout Student Housing for those with Wi-Fi connecting devices.  For information on or issues with connectivity to our wireless network, please visit the UAS IT Helpdesk or call (907) 796-6400.