K-8 Education Endorsement
The K-8 Education Endorsement is designed for teachers who possess a current Alaska teaching certificate and wish to earn an endorsement for elementary and middle school (K–8) teaching. All classes are offered online. Upon enrollment, teacher’s transcripts and experience will be evaluated and an appropriate program of study will be prepared. The endorsement will include courses or course equivalency for the content and methodology of K–8 instruction.
|ED 230||3||Introduction to Educational Technology||All|
|ED 320A, C or D||1||Art, Music or Drama in the K-8 curriculum||Varies|
|ED 320 B||1||PE in K-8 curriculum||All|
|ED 320 E||1||Health in the K-8 Curriculum|
|EDSE 482||3||Inclusive Education for Students with Disabilities|
Endorsement Area Coursework
|ALST 603||3||Alaska Literature for Young People||Summer|
|ECE 661||3||Literacy and Young Children||Fall; Spring|
|ED 615||3||Literacy in the Intermediate and Middle School Grades||Fall; Spring|
|ED 616||3||Math Methods in the K-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 617||3||Science Methods in the k-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 618||3||Social Studies in the K-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 619||3||Classroom Management and Discipline||Fall, Spring|
|ED 620||3||Curriculum Development||Fall, Spring|
|ED 688||3-6||Student Teaching||Fall; Spring|
Advisors maintain the responsibility to make substitutions and to waive classes as necessary and reasonable with the Director’s signature as approval.
Do not apply online via the online application. There is no application fee to apply for this endorsement area! Please see below for specific application instructions.
- Complete a Request for Admission
- Send Official Transcripts with a 3.0 GPA to UAS. Please note: transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Submit a Copy of Current Alaska Teaching Certificate (Includes passing Praxis I or Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics; and Certificate requirements for Alaska Studies and Multicultural Education)
- Obtain Letters of Recommendation on our School of Education form from two professionals in education who are familiar with your work and performance and are not related to you
- Submit Statement of Professional Goals and Objectives
- Submit resume demonstrating successful teaching
- Submit Basic Competency Exam scores:
- If you have already taken one of the approved basic competency exams then please provide a copy of your scores
- If you have not taken a basic competency exam, then please read the Praxis Core instructions, register at ETS for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) exam, and make sure ETS will send a copy your scores to UAS
- Complete Information Release Waiver Statement
- Submit a description or summary of your current teaching assignment
Please send all admission documents via email to the Student Services Assistant at the UAS School of Education.
If mailing materials, send to:Student Services Assistant
UAS, School of Education
11066 Auke Lake Way, HA 2
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Interested Persons Report
IMPORTANT: If you are not currently teaching in a public school classroom, K-8 Education Endorsement candidates must secure an Interested Persons Report (IPR) from a local law enforcement agency. This background check is required before engaging in practicum classes where you will be working with students in the public education setting. These are active for one year and must be renewed, as needed. You will need to submit a copy of your active IPR to the SOE office: email@example.com.
If you have any Endorsement Area specific questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Beth Hartley, Coordinator and advisor for the K-8 Education Endorsement Area.
- With advisor approval, students may complete up to 9 credits of the K-8 Education Endorsement Area prior to admission.
- Application materials must be submitted before the end of the semester students apply for (e.g. application materials must be submitted prior to December 15th for fall applications).
K-8 Education Endorsement Exit Criteria
1. Satisfactory completion of all required courses.
2. Official Praxis II exam (Elem Ed: Content Knowledge 5018 or 5017) scores meeting Alaska cut scores are due prior to student teaching and are required for issuance of the State-Approved Program Verification Form.
3. GPA of 3.00 or higher.