K-8 Education Endorsement
The K-8 Education Endorsement is designed for teachers who possess a current Alaska teaching certificate and wish to earn an endorsement for elementary and middle school (K–8) teaching. All classes are offered online. Upon enrollment, teacher’s transcripts and experience will be evaluated and an appropriate program of study will be prepared. The endorsement will include courses or course equivalency for the content and methodology of K–8 instruction.
Preparatory Coursework (6 Cr)
|ED 230||3||Introduction to Educational Technology||All|
|ED 320A, C or D||1||Art, Music or Drama in the K-8 curriculum||All|
|ED 320 B||1||PE in K-8 curriculum||All|
|ED 320 E||1||Health in the K-8 Curriculum|
|EDSE 482||3||Inclusive Education for Students with Disabilities|
Endorsement Area Coursework
|ALST 603||3||Alaska Literature for Young People||Summer|
|ECE 661||3||Literacy and Young Children||Fall; Spring|
|ED 615||3||Literacy in the Intermediate and Middle School Grades||Fall; Spring|
|ED 616||3||Math Methods in the K-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 617||3||Science Methods in the k-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 618||3||Social Studies in the K-8 Classroom||Fall; Spring|
|ED 619||3||Classroom Management and Discipline||Fall, Spring|
|ED 620||3||Curriculum Development||Fall, Spring|
|ED 688||3-6||Student Teaching||Fall; Spring|
Advisors maintain the responsibility to make substitutions and to waive classes as necessary and reasonable with the Dean’s signature as approval.
Do not apply online via the online application. There is no application fee to apply for this endorsement area! Please see below for specific application instructions.
- Complete a Request for Admission
- Send Official Transcripts with a 3.0 GPA to UAS. Please note: transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Submit a Copy of Current Alaska Teaching Certificate (Includes passing Praxis I or Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics; and Certificate requirements for Alaska Studies and Multicultural Education)
- Obtain Letters of Recommendation on our College of Education form from two professionals in education who are familiar with your work and performance and are not related to you
- Submit Statement of Professional Goals and Objectives
- Submit resume demonstrating successful teaching
- Submit Basic Competency Exam scores:
- If you have already taken one of the approved basic competency exams then please provide a copy of your scores
- If you have not taken a basic competency exam, then please read the instructions for Praxis CASE, register at ETS for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) exam, and make sure ETS will send a copy your scores to UAS
- Complete Information Release Waiver Statement
- Submit a description or summary of your current teaching assignment
Please send all admission documents via email to the Student Services Assistant at the Alaska College of Education.
Or mail to:Student Services Assistant
UAS, College of Education
11066 Auke Lake Way, HA 2
Juneau, Alaska 99801
If you have any Endorsement Area specific questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Beth Hartley, Coordinator for the K-8 Education Endorsement Area.
- With advisor approval, students may complete up to 6 credits of the K-8 Endorsment Area prior to admission.
- Application materials must be submitted before the end of the semester students apply for (e.g. application materials must be submitted prior to December 15th for fall applications).
Although some of these classes are soley taught through e-learning, due to mandatory supervision requirements these programs are currently only available to candidates who live in Alaska. Candidates living outside Alaska are welcome to apply to this program, but should understand that this program is specifically designed to train teachers for the unique teaching conditions of various Alaskan communities and that applicants will need to reside in Alaska to complete the program.