The Reading Specialist programs (Master of Education and Graduate Certificate) are exclusively available from the UAS School of Education. These programs are nationally recognized by the International Literacy Association. The UAS Reading Specialist program follows International Literacy Association Standards for the Preparation of Literacy Professionals. Upon completion of the program, candidates demonstrate competency of these standards in professional settings. Classes in these programs can be taken online, including the digital three-week summer residency.
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials of the application process.
M.Ed., Reading Specialist & Graduate Certificate
Before You Begin
Consult with Program Coordinator, Dr. Lisa Richardson
Complete and Submit the Following
- Complete Graduate Application and pay fee
- Send Official Transcripts with 3.0 GPA to UAS. Please note: transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Submit Recommendations: As part of the online program application, submit contact information for two references (former or current professors or supervisors who are not related to you). A link to the UAS SOE recommendation form will be emailed to references based on the contact information submitted in the UAS application portal.
Two (2) SOE recommendation forms are all that is needed to meet the requirement. However, if references want to submit a traditional narrative letter of recommendation as well, they should email it to Admissions to be included in an applicant’s application materials.
- Submit Writing sample per these instructions
- Complete Statement of Ability to do Field Experience
- Submit Current Resume
- Submit copy of current AK teaching or administrative certificate
Send all of these items to:UAS Admissions
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801-8671