Preparing Indigenous Teachers & Administrators for Alaska Schools (PITAAS)
Earn your teaching degree at the University of Alaska Southeast with PITAAS.
The PITAAS Program scholarships, in partnership with Sealaska Heritage Institute (SHI), is a grant funded through the U.S. Department of Education (S356A170013). The current grant will sunset by the close of Summer term 2022. Please note a current application will not extend into Fall 2022. Please watch for updates.
The Challenge: Alaska needs more Alaska Native teachers
- In Alaska schools, Alaska Natives make up 25% of the student body and less than 5% of the teaching force.
- In 2000, the University of Alaska Southeast created the PITAAS Program with the help of a federal grant to address this shortage of Alaska Native teachers.
- The PITAAS Program has grown to include many services designed to meet its goals: more Alaska Native teachers and administrators in Alaskan schools, preschool through high school.
- In 2017, PITAAS became jointly operated between UAS and Sealaska Heritage Institute, who is our grant partner for the PITAAS program.
The PITAAS Scholarship can help you earn your teaching degree at the University of Alaska Southeast!
Eligible students receive a calculated scholarship which generally covers:
- tuition and fees for courses required for eligible programs
- a modest stipend each semester intended to offset book costs ($100/course for undergraduates and $200/course for graduate students)
- a housing stipend ($3,000/semester) for full-time students
Students must have junior/senior undergraduate status or be enrolled in a graduate program, be pursuing an education degree program at UAS, and have and maintain a 3.0+ GPA.
The PITAAS GPA requirement is higher than UAS Financial Aid and may differ from the requirements set forth by your degree program. The conditions stated here are separate and in addition to any requirements imposed by those offices.
Eligible programs include:
Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Programs
- B.A. Elementary Education
- B.A. Special Education
- B.A., B.L.A., or B.S. in an academic area leading toward a teacher certification (including English, Math, Science, Alaska Native Language & Studies, and other programs)
Post Graduate Teacher Certification Programs
Master's of Art in Teaching (M.A.T.)
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
Graduate Certificates, Endorsements and Master of Education (M.Ed.) Programs
- M.Ed. or Graduate Certificate in Reading Specialist
- M.Ed. or Graduate Certificate in Special Education
- Graduate Certificate in Elementary Education
- Graduate Certificate in Secondary Education
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership
- Superintendent Endorsement Area