UAS Recreation Center rooms are available for rental by UAS sponsored individuals and groups, and non-profit organizations (NPO's). The REC Center is an auxiliary unit of the university and is waived from existing agreements that may include free or reduced space rental. Eligible groups and individuals may reserve rooms on a space available basis, university and Army National Guard events receive priority. The Recreation Manager will determine if the requested facility use falls under these guidelines. All charges and reservation fees will be paid directly by the contracting individual or department. The REC center does not host private parties to include birthday parties.
Visit Astra Schedule and click the Calendars tab to view room availability or check if an event has been scheduled. The calendar views all events and classes scheduled on the Juneau Campus, to include the REC Center. These are confirmed reservations and may not be an accurate picture of events being planned or in the works. A login is not required to view calendars.
You may also fill out our Facility Request Form to request a room reservation or call our main desk at 907-796-6544. The information you provide will be used to determine availability and appropriateness of reservation.
Rec Center Room Rental Fees
- Gymnasium: $40.00/hr Note: This space is not available to external renters for banquets due to impacts on membership.
- Student Activity Center (SAC): $30.00/hr
- Kitchen: $40.00/hr (oven/range, dishwasher used in food preparation), $20/hr (staging area for catering, no food preparation). There is no kitchen charge if UAS catering is used.
- Classroom: $25.00/hr
- Dance Studio: $20.00/hr
- Climbing gym*: $20.00/hr
- Bleachers in the gym: Add $20.00 per event for set-up and take-down.
- Floor cover in the gym**: Depending on the nature of the event, the floor covering may be required. The gym floor cover is applied by our facilities services and the cost varies depending on labor and tape cost.
- Performance Stage: Add $50 per event for rental, set-up, and take-down of stage. This is for use in the REC Center only.
- Labor Charges**: Add $25.00 per hour outside standard hours of operation if UAS staff are not present.
- * The UAS Climbing gym usage requires all patrons to become approved on the policies and procedures of our wall in order to utilize the space.
- ** Labor charges may be required for specific events, to be determined by the facility manager
The University requires a prepayment equal to 25% of requested services to confirm reservations over $1,000 in total charges. This prepayment is to be paid on or before 30 days prior to arrival date or the University is released from holding any reservations or arrangements on behalf of the Guest/Organization. Final payment is due in full net 30 days from completion of services.
Changes to Agreement
Any changes to this Agreement must be mutually agreed upon by the University and Organization and submitted via written notice. Such notice shall be deemed to have been duly delivered if delivered via email. Changes submitted within thirty (30) days of the group arrival date will not result in a refund.
Cancellations must be submitted via written notice. Failure to notify the University of cancellation of this Agreement within thirty (30) days of the group arrival date shall result in the Organization being obligated for full payment of all services requested.
Cancellations received more than 30 days prior to the arrival date will result in a full refund.
Facility Rental Rules and Regulations
Upon booking a room at the UAS Student Recreation Center, it is agreed and certified that the eligible reserving party will abide by the following reservation rules and regulations. Failure to follow these rules will result in forfeiture of the rental fees and future use of facilities.
- For a reservation to be confirmed/reserved, a Facility Use Request form must be completed. A short form is used for low-risk activities (meetings, training) with a long form for high-risk activities (gym, climbing wall, studio, or when minors are involved).
- UAS Priority - When event bookings are confirmed, it is with the understanding that university use, particularly in support of academic classes, has priority and may preempt events.
- Room Request Time Frames – REC Center rooms may not be available on University holidays due to campus closure or during National Guard Closures. Visit the REC Hours page for details
- Licensed caterers may provide for food services at the UAS REC Center. It is the obligation of the reserving party to make arrangements with a licensed vendor. The UAS Lakeside Grill offers catering services. There are no coffee services on site.
- Events open to UAS students, faculty or staff, must be posted on the UAS campus calendar for the room reservation to be confirmed.
- No message phone, copying, or printing service available.
- Smoking is not allowed in any room or interior portion of the building. View the Tobacco Free Campus Policy for more information.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in/on UAS REC Center property without approval by UAS Chancellor’s office and the Army National Guard.
- Hazardous and flammable materials are not allowed in the facility.
- Minors must be supervised at all times while on UAS property. Events involving un-accompanied minors must be approved by our youth protection office
- Use is limited to the scheduled room(s) and only during the hours specified.
- Group size may not exceed the seating capacity of room(s).
- The customer will protect UAS property from damage or mistreatment, and is responsible for the condition in which the building/room(s) is left. In the event UAS property is damaged or stolen, the user group will be held liable and charged for the cost of repairs or replacement.
- UAS property shall be returned to its original location after use, a minimum charge of $100 will be charged if terms are not met. Rooms are provided with default room layouts.
- Facility use will be revoked or canceled by UAS if usage has a conflict of interest with UAS classes, programs, or mission.
- Solicitation is prohibited in the UAS Recreation Center. Solicitation includes the act of seeking by persuasion, plea, or formal application of one’s audience, money, or influence. This may include face-to-face visitations by individuals or groups looking to rent REC space for selling merchandise, sharing religious or political beliefs, or request participation in surveys or petitions. The REC Center may be used to conduct non-partisan voter training and registration programs designed to increase an understanding of and participation in the electoral process. Such programs must be open to all members of the University community regardless of their political affiliation and may not be held in coordination with any campaign-related event or activity.
- The customer shall hold the REC Center, University, employees, officers, agents and Board of Regents blameless in the case of unavailability of the facilities, except return of rental monies.
- Indemnify, defend and save harmless, UAS, its employees, officers, agents and Board of Regents, against any claim of any loss, damage, or injury to person or property resulting directly or indirectly from an accident occurring in, upon or about the premises of UAS and its grounds and facilities as a result of the acts, errors or omissions of the non-UAS organization arising in connection with their operations, use or occupancy of the premises.
The Recreation Center will operate daily, Monday through Sunday, in accordance with the posted semester schedule. The facility may be closed on university holidays and National Guard Joint Use closures.
Scheduled activities may be preempted by special events without notice. No refunds will be granted during these closures. The university will not be responsible for accidents or injuries to users of the facility. UAS will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.
Facility users are responsible for knowledge of, and compliance with, all posted regulations and the direction of facility staff members. Users not in compliance with facility regulations or staff direction or persons misusing equipment or I.D. card privileges will be required to leave the facility and can be denied further access without regard to user status or refund.