Earn an elementary education credential that meets state and national standards. Classes for all programs are available online, allowing students to complete elementary education programs from their home communities. Upon completion, UAS provides an institutional recommendation to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, the department responsible for granting teaching certifications.
What's my degree pathway?
Initial Teaching Certificate
For Students Without an Undergraduate Degree
- We suggest the Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education at the University of Alaska Southeast.
For Students With an Undergraduate Degree
- We suggest the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Elementary Education at the University of Alaska Southeast for those who want a Master's degree in addition to a teaching certificate.*
- We suggest the Graduate Certificate in Elementary Education for those that only want a teaching certificate and do not want a Master's degree.
*The Graduate Certificate is embedded within the MAT program and initial teaching licensure occurs at the same point in both programs. The MAT program requires two additional courses after initial teaching licensure has occurred.
Advanced Teaching Certificate
For Students Who are Certificated Teachers
- We suggest the K-8 Education Endorsement Area at the University of Alaska Southeast for those who want to add an elementary education endorsement to their teaching certificate. Please see the K-8 Education Endorsement page for more information.
Although some of these classes are solely taught through e-learning, due to mandatory supervision requirements these programs are currently only available to candidates who live in Alaska. Candidates living outside Alaska are welcome to apply to this program, but should understand that this program is specifically designed to train teachers for the unique teaching conditions of various Alaskan communities and that applicants will need to reside in Alaska to complete the program.
Courses are delivered via audio conference, DVD, computer conferencing, and correspondence. Students should be familiar with using email, the Internet, computer conferencing, and should have fax access.
Candidates in this program must be self-directed learners, must have access to high speed Internet connections.
Each program has specific deadlines. Contact your advisor for instructions.
An Interested Persons Report (IPR) is necessary to submit to the School of Education at UAS before beginning graduate practicum coursework (please submit the report to firstname.lastname@example.org). See below for semester deadlines on submission. This is required for working with students in public schools. It is a basic background check of your criminal history that you should be able to request from your local law enforcement agency (see a list of locations linked below). If there is not a local law enforcement agency in your area, please contact your advisor for information on how to acquire this necessary report.
For fall semester practicum courses, this report should be submitted no later than August 20th. For spring semester practicum courses, this report should be submitted no later than January 10th. This report is only valid for one year after it has been generated and will need to be renewed if it expires while you are still completing practicum coursework.
List of walk-in locations for IPRs: https://dps.alaska.gov/Statewide/R-I/Background/WalkIn.
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about the application materials of the application process.
B.A., Elementary Education
The Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education K-8 is available 100% by distance, including student teaching. Students can complete the entire program in their home community or in any Alaska community of choice. Students located in Juneau or near another UA campus have the option of taking their GERs face-to-face. The education (ED) courses are online interactive (Zoom/other formats). The BA Elementary Education program offers intensive and personalized advising.
M.A.T., Elementary Education & Graduate Certificate
Before you begin
Please consult with Beth Hartley, Program Coordinator, before beginning your application.
Complete and Submit the following
- Complete Graduate Application and pay fee
- Send Official Transcripts with a 3.0 GPA to UAS. Please note: transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted
- Take and Pass Praxis CASE/Core
- Complete Early Classroom Experience Form
- Submit Statement of Professional Objectives Writing Sample
- Submit Impromptu Writing Sample
- Submit Resume
- Submit Recommendations: As part of the online program application, submit contact information for two references (former or current professors or supervisors who are not related to you). A link to the UAS SOE recommendation form will be emailed to references based on the contact information submitted in the UAS application portal.
Two (2) SOE recommendation forms are all that is needed to meet the requirement. However, if references want to submit a traditional narrative letter of recommendation as well, they should email it to Admissions to be included in an applicant’s application materials.
- Complete Informational Release Waiver Statement
- Complete Student Information Sheet
- Complete Statement of Agreement after reviewing the Graduate Elementary Programs - Candidate Handbook, located below in the Handbooks and Resources section
Send all of these items to:UAS Admissions
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801-8671
Handbooks and Resources
Elizabeth A. Hartley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Education and Program Coordinator: Elementary Education MAT, K-8 Graduate Certificate and EndorsementView profile and contact info
Jeffrey Lofthus, Ph.D.
Professor of Education
Professor Lofthus serves as the Coordinator of the Distance Bachelor of Arts Elementary Education Program, teaching classes and supervising student teachers.
Kelsey Walsh (she/her)
Academic AdvisorView profile and contact info
Student Services AssistantView profile and contact info
Program AssistantView profile and contact info